Carp Fishing in South Africa – Part 2

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The Baby Shoes configuration? What's that Leon? And has anybody else got a friend like Murphy?

L

Leon Foreman

As with most rigs I am sure it is called something else somewhere else in the world. Here goes as best I can in words. New pictures to follow when developed. A three eyed Swivel with leader and hook from two eyes. Remaining eye attached to mainline or shockleader. Sliding method attached to mainline. Hooklenth leaders of about 6 inces. Sliding babyshoes. Single hooklenth of threaded throuh two eyes of the swivel with a hook at eather side. Ensure that there is at least inces on eather side ofthe slide. This will allow the inactive hook to slide up against the swivel when the bait is taken reducing the risk of getting caught on a snag. This method is not recomened when a lot of snags are about however. Should the mainline break the fish might get tangled in the snags.

C

Carp Angler

A pulley rig.
Sea fishing with a two hook rig, never used it for coarse fishing though.
Probably due to single hook rules.

R

Ron Clay

Hi Leon,
Yes I remeber variations to this rig. It's quite barbaric! I don't fish two hook rigs any more, (except when fly fishing) Send a sketch of the rig in. It will get lots of UK anglers very upset

L

Leon Foreman

Ron, Yep barbaric it seems. Somehow it exists as one of the standard angling rigs with the rietvlei and paternoster rigs. My own feeling is that two hooks is one to many and therefore it isn’t part of my standard set-up. I still do however use these rigs when fishing unprepared swims and therefore do not know what bait would work. As for general consensus I cannot vouch for every SA angler. Seeing that these methods have been employed for so many years as well as massive removal of caught fish, they won’t change any time soon. The main difference between SA and European angling for Carp is that SA anglers still feel that Carp is everywhere and is a replenish able source. So at no stage would changes such as C&R and single hook laws be passed. Although it is enforced on private estate dams Most fishing water is still state owned and as long as the government or provincial government do not have to spend money on these resources (upgrading facilities etc) and the general angler is happy to fish under these circumstances things wont change any time soon. It is up to the angler as individual to ensure that he does his bit. And as with most things in life, when it is dependant on human behaviour, it sadly fails.

T

Trevor Babich

Hi Guys,
this thread could end up in a bit of a brawl. Getting into the subject of the ethics of different angling methods in 2 countries that are worlds apart will get us nowhere.
Remember that when man enters an eco sytem as a predator a heavy responsibility rests on his shoulders.
Your eco system for carp is completely different to ours. Carp in many waters have become a pest to the detriment to our indigenous fish and water quality wheras your carp cost a lot of money to provde sport for your anglers.
When it comes to conservation one has to be pragmatic and seemingly cruel to ensure sustainable utilisation of natural resources.
Everything of the best for the New Year and year and hoping that you guys will at least get some better weather

R

Ron Clay

Trevor is absolutely 100% correct in his comments about carp. I have been taken to task severely in not only this website but other publications regarding my public deprecation of carp. The damage that these fish have inflicted on the native species of South Africa and in other parts of the world is well documentd.
Trevor Babich by the way was one of the first keen anglers I met in SA when I emigrated there in 1967. He became one of SAs main angling administrators, a founder like myself of fly fishing techniques in the country and an overall very capable all round freshwater angler. I think Trevors favourite freshwater species was the Small mouth Yellowfish of the Qronge Vaal system. It certainly was mine. I caught the biggest on fly in rivers in the Barkley East area of the Cape. Do you know I cannot remember the names of those rivers. Hope to see your name more in this website Trevor

T

Trevor Babich

Hi Guys,
Ron,s comment about the yellowfish may be of interest to your anglers. I have only seen pictures of your barbel but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is the same or similar to our smallmouthed yellowfish barbus species and provides many thrills and spills when targeted with fly tackle and light weight spinning tackle.
There are a couple of articles on how to targe this species on flytackle on my website www.fishingowl.co.za in the flyfishing section.
Please note that the fish most often referred to as a barbel out here is in fact the sharp toothed catfish and not the U.K. barbel.

R

Ron Clay

The Small mouth Yellowfish - Barbus holubi is indeed closely related to Barbus vulgaris, the European Barbel. The difference is that the Smallmoiuth Yellow is a good deal prettier with burnished gold flanks. They also fught harder than the Barbel and that takes some saying as the barbel is one of Britain's hardest fighting species. Both species have four barbules on the lips although in the case of the yellowfish, the barbules are smaller