Carp floating fly line

Perch@2

Reaction score
Hi guys I need carp floating fly line and there is a large market out there, so some advice is needed, pls.

I currently have Wf airflow floating line, can you suggest a line to gain distance?

Fish safe Neil ?

Molehill

Reaction score
I was never a fan of airflow floating lines, but that was years ago I last bought a fly line. Plenty of alternative makes and I would go for any big brand (except airflow!) and you won't go far wrong.
Weight forward will serve you fine, though plenty of modern tapers promising to put "yards on your cast", when in fact a better casting technique will make far more improvements - forever.
Distance or accuracy? I like being able to pick up a cast and change direction as the carp move along hoovering up free offerings, for this I like a good old double taper. Worth thinking about unless the fish are at extreme range, ideal is two spools with different tapers and (and possibly weights) decide when on the water.

John Aston

Reaction score
A WF7 or 8 will do fine. But forget all that marketing tut about expensive lines giving you longer casts --- as said , fly casting is very nearly all about technique. But why long cast anyway? Most carp angler I see are apparently physically unable to cast less than 50 yards , and often much more . Fish in the margin , where hardly anybody else does ?

Perch@2

Reaction score
I was never a fan of airflow floating lines, but that was years ago I last bought a fly line. Plenty of alternative makes and I would go for any big brand (except airflow!) and you won't go far wrong.
Weight forward will serve you fine, though plenty of modern tapers promising to put "yards on your cast", when in fact a better casting technique will make far more improvements - forever.
Distance or accuracy? I like being able to pick up a cast and change direction as the carp move along hoovering up free offerings, for this I like a good old double taper. Worth thinking about unless the fish are at extreme range, ideal is two spools with different tapers and (and possibly weights) decide when on the water.

Thanks for reply Molehill, I've been over field practising double haul and I've learned by adding different techniques to cast has gained distance.

I'll buy suitable line and hopefully by March I'll stand a fair chance of landing a Carp?

Fish good and safe, Neil ?

Perch@2

Reaction score
A WF7 or 8 will do fine. But forget all that marketing tut about expensive lines giving you longer casts --- as said , fly casting is very nearly all about technique. But why long cast anyway? Most carp angler I see are apparently physically unable to cast less than 50 yards , and often much more . Fish in the margin , where hardly anybody else does ?

Thanks for reply grayson, I'll be honest, fly carp is new to myself so I've a lot to learn.

Like as I said earlier, I've been practicing casting over field and some days I can reach 71ft and some days less?

I know you have mentioned about margin work and that sounds good, exciting. But during these times of lockdown over the field is the best I can do.

Fish safe, Neil ?

Philip

Reaction score
Most carp angler I see are apparently physically unable to cast less than 50 yards , and often much more . Fish in the margin , where hardly anybody else does ?

Oh dear, another case of sploshing on the anti Carp white wash with a broad bush & one size fits all comment that really does not reflect reality.

As for the fly line for Carp, if this is for floater fishing I just freeline or use something as a floating controller so difficult to recommend anything

John Aston

Reaction score
I wouldn't have said as much it if it didn't reflect the reality I see. Honest....

seth49

Reaction score
Cortland are a decent line, even the cheaper ones are good, I had one of there 333 lines for years, Snowbee are good as well.

Philip

Reaction score
I wouldn't have said as much it if it didn't reflect the reality I see. Honest....

I believe you !

Which means you either need to fish around more or look more closely. Perhaps that bloke with the float is Carp fishing. They dont all use 4 rods, buzzers, bivvys and smoke pot. Honest...

liphook

Reaction score
Barrio, Snowbee, Cortland, John Norris etc all do good lines. Also the Maxcatch lines on that auction site. Anyone casting a WFF flyline 50 yards can happily give me a lesson!

Perch@2

Reaction score
Oh dear, another case of sploshing on the anti Carp white wash with a broad bush & one size fits all comment that really does not reflect reality.

As for the fly line for Carp, if this is for floater fishing I just freeline or use something as a floating controller so difficult to recommend anything

Thanks for reply Philip, another method to consider?

Fish safe ?

Perch@2

Reaction score
Cortland are a decent line, even the cheaper ones are good, I had one of there 333 lines for years, Snowbee are good as well.

Good advice, I'll practice with line i have at present then consider a better choice.

Fish safe, Neil ?

Perch@2

Reaction score
Barrio, Snowbee, Cortland, John Norris etc all do good lines. Also the Maxcatch lines on that auction site. Anyone casting a WFF flyline 50 yards can happily give me a lesson!

Thanks Liphook good brands to consider.

Fish safe, Neil ?

bullet

Reaction score
Barrio are excellent lines at very reasonable prices. I particularly like the small stream one, which has a short, heavyish head and is very easy to shoot.
Cortland are good as well.
Imo don't bother with the likes of Rio, just over expensive, over marketed lines which perform no better than those mentioned.

keora

Reaction score
You need a floating fly line, ideally a Weight Forward line, or failing that a Double Taper line. The line size (weight) should be AFTM 7 or 8. As for the fly rod, one about 9ft long will be suitable, rated at AFTM 7 or 8. You could manage with an AFTM 6 rod at a pinch.

Buy a tapered leader with a minimum breaking strain of about 8 to 10 lbs. For the tippet - the final section of line, about 3ft, to which you tie the fly - use 8 or 10 bs nylon. Drennan nylon is good. I've tried fluorocarbon line as a tippet, it's expensive and didn't increase the number of takes I got.

You could buy a more expensive fly line, although I don't think it's necessary for carp fishing. I've got a Rio Grand floating WF7 line, now renamed Grand Premier. It's got a slick surface, and a special taper at the front end which gives extra weight and makes it easier to cast into the wind. But it costs £90.

I've tried using deer hair flies cast with a carp controller on a carp rod, without any success. I find it's better to use a large edible floater with a conventional carp rod. I can cast it about 10 yds, if I need any more distance I add a carp controller. I've seen carp ignore floaters on a hook cast to the middle of the lake, but will readily take free offerings. They can tell the difference.

I catch more carp by using floaters cast towards reed fringed banks, or small islands. The nearer the floater is to the reeds, you're more likely to get a take.

Last edited:

Perch@2

Reaction score
I have always been a fan' of Snowbee lines and the Prestige Gold floating line is an excellent one.

I've just got hold of Snowbee XS-tra distance fly line, I'll try this and see, either it's a gain or I've still got lots to learn.

I enjoy fishing so much weither Fly or fixed spool.

Fish safe and happy, Neil ?