carp in weed

gardener59

Reaction score
has any one come across the site of carp appeaig to feed on the suface of canadian pond weed.this is growing in 6-8 feet of water.there was a carps tail waving at me.would be interested to know if any one else has any suggestions on how best to catch them

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn't try. Carp will bolt into the weed and leave you with a big clump of weed to drag in. Saw someone yesterday break their rod in similar circumstances....

nicepix

Reaction score
I fish a lake where it is around 2 feet deep and full of Canadian Pondweed. Last year I lost more fish than I landed because of the weed.

About a month ago I had another session with stronger tackle (last year most of my stuff was still in storage and I only had a 2lb tc barbel rod.) Using a heavier rod, centrepin reel and 12lb line I managed to land 7 of the 9 carp I hooked. Biggest was around 19lb. The trick was to fish as close in as possible and not to let the fish run very far - hook 'n' haul approach. Also the rig was simplified to a small float attached so it would run up the line if snagged and a bit of Blu-Tac as weight rather than a split shot or ledger. When I landed a fish invariably the float would be about 20 feet up the line from where I'd set it and the Blu-Tac had gone.

I also had to discard about 12 feet of line after the session as it had been badly abraded by the weed. Next time I'll be using 15lb hard saltwater type mono.

steve886

Reaction score
Don't be frightened to target carp in the weed. Weed should be viewed as an anglers friend in the sense that carp feel safe and feed freely in weed. There is so much natural food in weed that if I fish any new lake it is the area I would first target. Carp also use the weed as their highways so work out their patrol routes and bingo you have a very very good chance of a pick up.

That said and done, I would only advise it if you have the tackle to cope and you can 'honestly' say that you are not putting the fish in danger - if you think you are then don't bother - go with your gut instinct.

A local water that I am fishing at the moment is having a weed and algae bloom like never before but there are clear spots that I am comfortable to fish to.

I am using 15lb diawa mono with 50lb tapered fluro leaders and a set up that ejects the weight on each and every take. For me, the dropped lead is the key because with no weight on the line it tends to bring the fish to the surface a lot quicker and thus easier to bring in. Coupled to that, the lead doesn't then collect another whole bunch of weed. However, the main reason for ejecting the lead in weed is that if there is a break-off then the fish is not trailing line, lead and the inevitable weed attached.

To have confidence in my presentation I will either fish with solid PVA bags (with my hooklink only buried inside) if the spot is tight or with a PVA nugget masking the hook it it's a larger spot so that I know my point is always clear of the weed.

I fish completely locked up and sit / sleep very close to my rods so the only line the fish can take prior to me lifting in to it is the stretch in the mono. As mentioned before it is hook and hold stuff but invariably with the right set up I land most of the fish I hook.

One great tip - if your fish does lock you up in weed is not to try and pull its head off. Apply gentle constant pressure (the best way I have found is taking a few steps up the bank every few seconds) and be patient. They normally pull themselves through but it can sometimes take a while. I have seen so many anglers think that the fish has 'done them in the weed'; pull for a break only to see the fish swim away safely and free!!!

There are lots of great articles on how to fish to and in weed so give good ole google a go....

Good luck.....