carp/pike rod doubling up?

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Probably been asked a few times, but can the same rod be used for pike and occasionally carp? I am retiring 31st December this year, so will have a lot of time on my hands. This rod from the Tackle Box in Kent https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rods-en/carp-rods/tackle-box-darent-valley-specimen-rod-11ft-3lb.html says they have a diverse use ie pike/carp. I plan to pair it with a Sonik Vader X 6000 FS Reel, comes with two spools, so perhaps put a slightly heavier line on one spool for pike. Btw, I probably will use it mainly for float fishing for pike.

TIA!

Aknib

Reaction score
It will do just fine.

The main difference between dedicated Pike and Carp rods is that the Pike versions are often a little softer in the tip so they don't cast soft deadbaits off on the fling but by and large you'll have few if any issues with that rod, some of their rods have developed quite a pedigree too.

3lb is a bit on the heavy side for my preference but that's dependent on range, method etc. but you're better off safe and that rod will meet your requirements based on the description.

steve2

Reaction score
I find with pike fishing many rods are too powerful when think that apart from casting a sometimes large dead bait why do a powerful rod.
Most pike caught are smaller the average size of carp caught. No matter what you read double figure pike are rarer than double figure carp and don't fight as hard.
My favourite rods are around 2lb test curve. More important though is getting the right unhooking equipment.

keora

Reaction score
A 3lb test curve pike/carp is a bit heavy, but it's still fine to use it for pike fishing. I currently use a 10 ft Drennan Pikeflex rod with a TC of 2.75 lbs and it's just right for pike fishing. I think it was designed as a boat rod, instead I used it for pike fishing from the bank.

If you've never used braided line for pike fishing, it's worth considering. Low diameter compared to mono nylon, and it floats. I use Drennan Piker braid with a BS of 35lbs:

john step

Reaction score
Both will adapt. However a 2,5 tc will be more pleasant to use unless you intend to cast carp leads or large deadbaits to the horizon.
If you listen to pike "experts" they would recommend one thing and carp"experts" another. The reality is that as you intend to use the rods for dual purpose, thrift may be an issue.
I would say if your venues have overgrown fringes like many drains and rivers in my neck of the woods then a longer rather than shorter rod is an obvious advantage.

Do look up THE PIKE ANGLERS CLUB website for many tips particularly the handling section.

David Gane

Reaction score
Like others, I think that 3 lb test-curve is a bit on the heavy side. I agree with John Step in that I'd go for 2.5 lbs. The biggest visible difference between a carp and a pike rod is often that the carp ones have a couple of extra line guides compared with the pike ones.

Something important to remember though is that the people who sell us tackle would have us believe that we need a different rod for each species and each style of fishing. Well, they would do, wouldn't they! It just isn't true though. I've been using the same rods for pike and carp for years and they are just fine for both.

steve2

Reaction score
Like others, I think that 3 lb test-curve is a bit on the heavy side. I agree with John Step in that I'd go for 2.5 lbs. The biggest visible difference between a carp and a pike rod is often that the carp ones have a couple of extra line guides compared with the pike ones.

Something important to remember though is that the people who sell us tackle would have us believe that we need a different rod for each species and each style of fishing. Well, they would do, wouldn't they! It just isn't true though. I've been using the same rods for pike and carp for years and they are just fine for both.
True for all so called species rods not just carp and pike rods. But we all tend to fall into that tackle makers trap at sometime.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've used a pair of Shimano powerloops for the last 30 years at 2 - 5 tc for carp, Barbel and and pike with no problems.
I have some 3lb tc rods to that I've used several times on big waters where a heavy dead ait needs casting a long way that have been better in that regard than the Shimmies.
On ballance however if push came to shove I'd settle for the Shimmies as much better all round rods for the species me tioned.