Carp Record Broken?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Well known fish or not you've got to be impressed with a lump like that. How long before it, or another genuine Brit, tops 60lb I wonder?

P

Philip Inzani

yep, certainly very impressive from whats supposed to be an unbelivably difficult venue.

It would be great to see an unknown fish take the record..... trouble is there are lots of secret squirrels out there!

R

Rob Brownfield

ahhh....looks like the ?2 u pay for Partridge artifical sweetcorn is well worth it !! (2 quid for 10 bits of foam....bloody rip off)

Cracking fish though....green with evvy!!

I

Iain Wishart

What a monster!....how much bigger can a carp grow in the UK?

P

Philip Inzani

World record is 82+ ...catch it, put it in a tank and transport it by van to the UK then dump it in a small pond and there you go....new British record!

S

sam oddy

I seem to recall a common that lived in unfished for splendour in a piece of water located in a yorkshire(?) fun park. This died several years ago at a weight reportedly in excess of 60lbs.

C

Carp Angler

The pictures of the world record, show it as a genetic freak.
Like most carp over the 50lb size, they are a very small percentage who have the correct genetics, coupled with an ideal lake and food sources.

I think 65lb is tops for the UK (Two-tone) unless another fish with equally good genetics comes thru the ranks.

Phil, you're such a sceptic :eek:)

P

Philip Inzani

Rik...spend a bit of time over here watching the un-marked white vans with the english number plates turn up at your favourite venue in the middle of the night and you might feel the same!

R

Rob Brownfield

If fish farmers can use infra red heating and high protein food to get Brown trout to over 50 pounds in weight, I dont see why we could not get a 70 pound UK grown Carp. May not be politically correct, but it would be a UK fish....

D

Darren Wilson

Not very long so it may seem as the scales that weighed 'Two Tone' were found to be weighing 5oz LIGHT!!!! So this now makes the weight 59lb 7oz! If recent years are anything to go by, then 'Two Tone' could come out again next week either higher or lower.... We will have to wait & see.

S

Steve Baker

How big can a UK carp grow? A big carp would have to be bred in britain as if it was transported from another country where the temp is alot warmer, the carp would not be able to get enough oxgen into its blood stream to keep up the weight. But, if a carp had been bred here with high protein bait + had alot of excercise (like the big trout in trout farms) to build up it muscle content instead of fat i believe 60lb is easyly obtainable it would just take about ten years and alot of dosh.

R

Ron Clay

I read somewhere, sometime ago that carp in China can reach weights of 200lb. Is this true are these fish a myth? maybe these fish are genetic freaks.
It has been fairly well documented that carp in Southern Africa can reach weights in excess of 80 lbs. The biggest carp I ever saw in SA was a 30 kg fish found dead in a farm dam near Stellenbosch in the Cape Province. It was truly a monster.

P

Paul Williams

I'm always a little suspisious when i hear weights for foreign fish...i think i have seen a pic of that 200lb Chinese "carp" and if it is the one i saw it certainly was not the same species that we have, are the others?
As far as how large can they grow to (naturally!) in this country i feel that we are approaching the peak now, perhaps a few more pounds? of course a fish of this size could also be caught spawn laden and it would weigh heavier but personally i hope the record stays with a "normal" fish.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think our home grown fish will continue to grow, and may even approach some of the continental weights, as long as the so-called greenhouse effect continues to increase. Warmer winters equals longer and richer feeding.

P

Paul Williams

Whilst i agree that there is still growing potential i'm not (yet!) convincined about the greenhouse effect, i have read that many conflicting points of view from the "experts"! but i certainly agree the last few winters have given longer and richer feeding i'm just not sure if the trend will continue, in a way i hope not, i miss our old winters!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm with you on that one. Give me ice and snow any day. Bloody rain!

P

Philip Inzani

Forget the reports about 200Ib Carp, they are a different species....as I mentioned before the official world record for the Carp we know is just over 82Ib (forget the exact latin name but you know the ones I mean) I also saw recently a picture of a 90Ib+ Mirror I think in Carp talk that really did look that size, but it was not caught on rod and line.
I am not sure I agree with Steves comment about big imported fish losing weight?. look at Darenth and Ringstead. I think a rich bolie diet can make up for the lower temperature climate.
How about this...some of you may be surprised to know that there is actually a 70 pound plus "Carp" already living in the UK....its in Hawkhurst specimen lake down in the south east...but before you start going all wobbly and getting your maps out to plan your trip, I should point out its a Chinese blue Carp. There are/where two of them in there and although the smaller one I think has been caught a few times as far as I am aware the big one (stocked at 74Ib) has never been caught, even though it is seen from time to time...quite an achievement in a small lake fished by some of the top guys in the country. The fact that Blue Carp I believe are mainly filter feeders might have something to do with it but as I say the smaller one has been caught on a hook so it can happen.

R

Ron Clay

I often wonder what Cyprinus carpio looked like eons ago before man started selectively breeding it?

Long, lean Fully scaled and somewhat like a "wild carp"? It probably never grew to much over 10 lbs.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, I have a small pond near me in the far north of scotland that contains wildies. It was stocked in the 1600's by Monks at an Abbey near Peterhead. Obviously for food. As far as I know, these fish are decendents.....never ever been interfeared with. The next nearest carp lake is at least 160 miles away...so no risk of more modern fish being introduced. They look like barbel....long and thin with large barbels on there gobs. There mouths are relatively small, and they only go up to about 8 pounds.

They fight like the very Devil himself!!!!