CARP ROD - MATCH ROD

A

Andy Key

Can anybody please tell this novice the difference between a carp rod and a match rod. I bought myself a Pro-Am match rod and it does me fine.

D

Dave Rothery

a "proper" carp rod is much stiffer to cope with heavy leads, pva bags etc, and bigger fish! they'd be useless for "normal" fishing.

J

John Pleasance

" they'd be useless for "normal" fishing."

.....at last, the truth is out, carp anglers are not normal! :eek:)

A

Andy Key

Thanks guys the info provided is of great help. I will stay away from carp anglers in future. So in short a match rod is ideal for 'normal' fishing and a carp rod for spieces fishing.
Would it matter then if I caught a carp on a match rod??

S

Steve Shaw 3

Lets try and make this clearer. My match rod I use for float fishing for roach, rudd, bream tench, and small carp etc up to about the 6 to 8 lb mark. I would never use it to try and catch fish above this size because of the risk of brakage, however I have had carp well into double figures. If you are targeting biger fish or slinging out heavy weights then you will need a rod capable of handling that such as feeder or carp rods.

J

jason fisher

i'll have a go then,

match rods are designed for using light mainlines and light hook lengths generally for small fish.
a match rod when a load is applied will bend easily and cushion the force being applied so that the line does not break, you can land large fish on match rods but when you get a large fish the rod cannot exert much force on the fish so there is a good chance that you will lose control of the fish and end up being broken off.

carp rods are designed to exert much more force into a heavierline and so you can control much larger fish, you must however use heavier lines with these rods as their power would break lighter lines very easily.

S

Steve Shaw 3

Andy

A match rod will be fine for sticklebacks but be careful on the strike.

A

Andy Key

Thanks for the advice Steve I'll bear that in mind next time I go Stickleback fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The reason that they are called "Match Rods" is that they are not used for match fishing any more.

S

Shrek

Ron, does that mean "Carp Rods" aren't used for carp fishing either?

Bob Butcher

Reaction score
Help me as well, please.... i have just started the fishing game and purchased two LEEDA 2XL 11ft rods(for me and my son)with the words "Match Carp Waggler..Progressive Power Action". is it a Match Rod, Carp Rod or float rod???? What is it best suited for, small fish etc...waiting in anticipaton...the complete and total novice

B

Big Rik

Bob

the rods you have bought are designed for catching small carp on the float at commercial venues.

fishing 4 to 6lb line for 3 to 5lb carp, float fishing pretty close in.

They are a general purpose rod, more in the 'power match' fishing type bracket and although designed for catching small carp, they are not carp rods in the truest sense.

The confusion for novice anglers is that traditional match rods are designed for light line fishing, match style.
Carp were never seen as suitable targets for match anglers, but with the advent of overstocked commercial carp bagging venues, then this has seen the proliferation of rods to cope with this style of fishing.

Bob Butcher

Reaction score
Rik

many thanx for that snipet of info.....I will take it that using the afore mentioned rods with feeders is not a good idea!! My son lost a couple of feeders whilst at a local fishery...but would not listen when I said that it was too heavy for the rod. Or am I wrong? U said that they were a general purpose rod so could they be used as feeders or for legering??

B

Big Rik

it's not the best rod for the job, but it would be able to cast out a feeder.
If your son lost some feeders then that is not because of the rod, maybe the feeders were too heavy for the line, or he cast into some snags and lost them on the retrieve.

When I say general purpose, I mean a float rod for general fishing, not for a specific species or situation.

Your rod has the term 'match carp' against it only to boost sales as it's a growing branch of the sport.

lee davies 2

Reaction score
can anyone help me ?

I want to start fishing but am baffled by all the different rods etc......

whats the differece between a feeder rod, float rod, medium power rod a power rod? which is best for river/lake fishing? thanks