Carp rod/stod rod

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, think about the huge difference in the action of proper Carp rod compared to that of a spod rod.

One is designed to absorb the runs of the hooked fish, and thereby protect the B/S of your line, while the other is as stiff as a poker and designed to hurl big weights over distance.

Hope this helps.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
A carp rod can be used to spod with, though not ideal for the reasons mention by Peter. But for fishing for carp, a spod rod would be rather stiff to play carp with. I have it on good authority that a certain manufacturer sells exactly the same blank as a spod rod and also with a different label as a catfish rod. You would be better off to get a normal carp rod, decent enough ones are fairly cheap, even more so if you buy second hand.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Yes.

I dont own a spod rod. I use my Carp rod for spodding & it works fine. Plus I dont have to lug around yet another rod & reel

Spod and marker rods are a brilliant idea for how to sell more rods to an already saturated market.

waldi

Reaction score
I dont own a spod rod. I use my Carp rod for spodding & it works fine. Plus I dont have to lug around yet another rod & reel
What do you do, take a small Dymo with you and change the writing on the the rod to suite the situation?

(Everyone knows you can't use a rod for a anything apart from what is written on it ;))

steve2

Reaction score
What do you do, take a small Dymo with you and change the writing on the the rod to suite the situation?

(Everyone knows you can't use a rod for a anything apart from what is written on it ;))
Don't forget you are talking about carp those super intelegent creatures that can see if you don't have the correct gear. They get embarrassed if caught on non carp tackle. Same goes for all fish you must use the correctly labelled rod.

waldi

Reaction score
Don't forget you are talking about carp those super intelegent creatur
Barbel and Tench must be ******* stupid then. I bought an expensive specimen rod for them and still haven’t caught anything worth taking a photo of.

terry m

Reaction score
If, and I repeat if, you want to propel heavily laden spods or spombs significant distance - 70 metres plus - regularly and accurately then buy a spod rod.