? Carp Rods ?

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Hi,
As i am still young and dont currnetly have a job, and my birthday is coming soon, i have asked my dad for a new set of carp rods. I have been given a budget of max. £60.
At first i liked the TGF Delta XS but then saw the Fox Warrior S's, but dont know how they feel or if anyone has had them or knows of anything better???
I need a set of two and in 2.75 or 3.00 lb TC.
Any help would be of great help, thanks again. CMM

anthony chance 2

Reaction score
A friend of mine has just bought a set of the new Sonic rods. Had a play with them the weekend and I have to say they are very nice indeed. I'm not the type to spend hundreds of pounds on fishing equipment but I do lke my kit to perform well and I would be more than happy to buy a set of these.

You'll even get some change from your £60 investment which should keep the old man happy ;-)

Take a look here Sonic SKS Carp Rods

Regards

Ant

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
What are the Soniks like? I mean, what's the butt like and what are the ring/guides like / how big are they?

The Sogster

Reaction score
Can't comment on the soniks - I have recently purchased the Fox Warrior S 2.75lb with cork handle and 40mm butt rings.
Not had chance to land anything of any size on it as yet however the blank is nice and slim with a nice action, soft in the tip with power feeding in progressively.
Definitely not a fast taper distance rod by any means but will handle small pva bags/ sticks to around 100 yards.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
KEEP AWAY FROM THE SONIK BRAND!
Go for the warriors with the full cork grip, superb value for money and they really look the part!

Good luck mate

Mark

tortoise100

Reaction score
Don't want to spoil the broomstick rod party here but what size average fish are you fishing for and what distance do you want to cast too ?

I have a fox warrior 3lb test rod it is a great rod for pike fishing or casting a long way but can't compare with a 1.75 rod for fun factor but then my average fish are around 5 lb ,if yours are 15-25lb then thats great .

Go for the 2.75 or 3lb ers if you expect to be pike fishing as well or trying to cast 80 yards but if those two things are not top of your agenda then those rods are no way near the fun of lesser test curves ,2.5lb rods can be a much better bet for most waters in this country.

They are hard to find but it could be well worth looking for some proper through action pike rods then you can get the best of both worlds.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
I mainly fish for doubles, but I do enjoy a bit of light fishing and piking. However i just use my old old old 2.5 for that. I fish small lakes but with PVA bags and like to cast well when I can/need to on other lakes. Take a look at my blog, the Carp Mad Man Then you'll see what im on about.

themyth

Reaction score
I mainly fish for doubles, but I do enjoy a bit of light fishing and piking. However i just use my old old old 2.5 for that. I fish small lakes but with PVA bags and like to cast well when I can/need to on other lakes. Take a look at my blog, the Carp Mad Man Then you'll see what im on about.

an omni minnow match might be what your after mate.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Themyth, Funny!
Im serious though, I need new rods and that sort of thing is silly :L

themyth

Reaction score
Themyth, Funny!
Im serious though, I need new rods and that sort of thing is silly :L

bit of fun kidda.
the soniks will be hard to beat for the money,the warriors may look nice,but trust me'they are a cheap mass produced blank.
if its better quality your after then buy second hand mate.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

ote=cg74;1128862]Very constructive and helpful.[/quote] and this is?...

cg74

Reaction score
and this is?...

Yep!

Though sadly I can't really offer much of a recommendation as my rods are right out of the given price range, but going on what others have said (that do own said rods), Sam's three are all good. Also JRC Defenders have a few that rate them, personally after having a waggle I thought they were very soft in relation to the stated tc. Not necessarily a bad thing...

All that said, I'm reluctant to offer an opinion on thing I have no real experience on.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
why keep away from soniks mark? whats your reasoning?

They are about as good a quality as the mass produced sh$&t that dragon carp turn out!
You can get better made rods than these and fox make some fantastic tackle for the money.
If you think fox are massed produced rubbish then where do you think Sonik gear is made?
Sorry for being so blunt but I have had a look at some of their spinning rods and they were found to be seriously wanting!!

Mark

themyth

Reaction score
the sonik blanks are the same as the original greys Xflites,which any one that knows will tell you are a fantastic blank.