Carp v Barbel rods

R

Ron Clay

I havwe been looking at the new kevlar barbel special from Fox. It has 3 tops. One to make up a 1.25 lb Avon rod,another to make up a quiver tip rod and the third for a 1.75 lb heavy Avon style.

The rod gives a through action which is highly desirable, SIC guides and an absolutely wonderfully designed cork hand with a DOWN LOCKING fitting. The only bit of duplon is a cork coloured bit that screws the reel fitting down.

These rods wil catch anything from roach to big carp, barbel, zander, pike and even cats at a pinch. You could use from 3 to 20 lb lines on these rods. They make the perfect fenland pike and zander rods in 1.75 lb.

I get the feeling that Matt Hayes had something to do with the design of these rods. If so well done Matt.

I am going to save my pennies. I must have two of them.

B

Birds Nest

Ron, you've just found what I'm looking for too... i'm off to rob a Village post office.

R

Ron Clay

Anyone know the current RRPs on these rods. I have been quoted ?200.00

Ouch!

P

Paul Williams

Ron,
Thats about right.....i haven't handled one yet but i'm told they are good, i was told i could have one for ?179, not a great discount but i think these rods will be flying out of the shops.
At this price though i'm sure Harrison's could make you something very personal......eg a twin top barbel rod with a full cork handle.....made in the UK too!
Mr Harrison do you want my address??? :eek:)

D

David Plumb

As a new member i've only just found this discourse on carp rods. It's good to know other anglers who feel the same as me. I am trying top get back into course fishing after being away from it for about 25 years, although during that time I’ve done a fair bit of trout fishing. When I last fished for carp I, and many other anglers I knew, used 10ft, through-actioned rods made of split cane or glass fibre with test curves of about 1? lb. I don’t remember any of us feeling under equipped with these outfits. We normally free-lined baits or used light ledgers so as NOT to cause much resistance and there was no shortage of double-figure fish hooked and landed and plenty in the 20lb and even 30lb class. Regrettably, I’ve not managed a 30 pounder – so far!

Why then, nowadays, do carp anglers seem to need rods with test curves in the region of 2? to 3lb? To me these rods seem more appropriate on a beach than on a carp pool! Have we not gone a bit “lead happy” these days with rods more appropriate to hurling out sea tackle than for fishing with?

Incidentally, I’m in the market for a couple of carp rods (possible three) but because I’m trying re-equip for general course fishing as well my budget is severely restricted. Is there such a thing as a decent carp rod under ?70? In the views expressed here on the power ratings of rods I would like to get rods that are not poker stiff with test curves of 1? lb to 2lb maximum but considering what’s available nowadays I expect I’ll have to compromise on 2?lb instead! Any comments or advice would be very welcome.

C

Carp Angler

I'm glad this came back to the fore.
Ask the people at DDI who lost fish that they couldn't control on their light rods and ask them whether barbel rods can exert more pressure than carp rods, I think they'll agree with me and say that it's the biggest load of rubbish they've ever heard of.

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik...strong words :)

Get ya scales out and try it yourself. Seriously, depending on the rod of course, you will see that a light rod, "WHEN LOCKED UP" will exert more "USABLE" pressure than a fast taper beefy rod. Hooks tear so easily with some of the pokers used today, whilst the softer rods just absorb the energy.

Needless to say however, that if I was fishing at distance for big, hard fighting fish, i would use a beefy rod, purely coz i cant chuck 4oz with my lighter ones.

I think "tactics" dictate what we use, and its horses for courses. Personnaly its light rods for close in work, even in snaggy conditions (not light lines though), 1 and 3/4 tc for anything upto 80 yards, 2 1/4 up to 100 yards, and 1 3/4 for method or long rang stuff.

I

Ian Whittaker

Spot on Rob,
iuse 1.75 for a great deal of my fishing with reel line from 6 to 30lbs!

C

Carp Angler

How can you exert "usable" pressure when the rod is locked up full?

I can't understand how people are believing this complete rubbish, surely it's just anti-carp sour grapes supported by people whos ideals are firmly seated in the 1970's....

D

Dave Johnson

no, its all true, ask Brummy.

carp rods are for begginers.......then they move onto barbel rods and usually proper fish...lol

C

Carp Angler

I don't think using barbel rods when roach fishing is very sporting Dave........

C

Craig w

"carp rods are for begginers.......then they move onto barbel rods and usually proper fish...lol"

......what are you on about Dave! Harsh Words, i think many will not agree with that

me included lol

D

Dave Johnson

ok Mr Carpangler, Sir, I beg to differ...we'll sort out our differnces monday morning at the the Little
Chef on the A429.
-til then big man.....and don't forget the lobs.....

D

Dave Johnson

er, has mr moderator been messing with the above post........I'm sure I was a little more forthright .....and under the stella influence !!!!

B

Birds Nest

Beer and the web dont always go hand in had do they ? ;-)

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Might be wrong here for the purists, but if the Roach you are after are at 150 yards and you use a Harrison 1.10oz whats wrong with that?, the same rod could land a record Barbel from that much malighned stretch.

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik....I am most definetly not stuck in the 70's :)...just telling ya how it is. Look at the yanks..look what they use for "line class" fishing....if the tackle is balanced, you can land massive fish on light gear. I am not talking about trying to catch a Sailfish on 4 pound line..lol...but more catching Salmon and Steelheads with lightish gear.

the lighter, balanced gear can land some huge fish (Chris Yates, 51 pounds). I do know what u are saying though..lol

D

Dave Johnson

I saw Rik land a 2 oz roach today on the Antares speci rod at nearly 12 yards.....cool!!!!!

And stuJ repeatedly caught headless roach????