catapult advice please.

caught any mate

Reaction score
Hi all,had some sucess fishing corn and full depth waggler on the local commie,but could and should have done better,i struggled to keep my loosefeed in a tight area and concentrate the fish.Looking for advice on catapults or sticky mag,or any way of grouping the corn tighter.
Many thanks:confused:

greenie62

Reaction score
Catapults - try a few to see what suits you for the distances you are working at. Some work better if not 'over-stretched' - keeping a tighter pattern over moderate distances - the spread pattern often suffers through even modest 'over-energising' of the load.

If you're fishing at full-depth - try using a bait-dropper to dump a nice, tight, load of corn on the bottom and fish on that.

Tight Lines!

robtherake

Reaction score
I picked up a tip from one of the match fishing mags: shortening your elastics by an inch or two means a shorter draw and better accuracy. It may not work the same with every pult, but my smaller Drennan and Maver ones are better for it, particularly with pellets.
Corn is pretty sticky, might it help to coat them with a powdered additive to stop them sticking to the pouch and each other?

john step

Reaction score
Like Greenie says you can use a bait dropper at close range on stillwaters.

Also consider a PVA stocking with salt added to the corn to prevent premature dissolving. PVA stocking can be lobbed in accurately if you add a stone for weight.

caught any mate

Reaction score
Cheers guys,but most of my bites came on the drop,will have to experiment with elastics,pouches,and most likely technique.Some good food for thought.Thanks

B

binka

I've been using one of these for particles for over a year now and the no.3 moulded cup does a good job...

As has already been said if you stretch the elastic too much it tends to scatter too widely but I think you can get different strengths of replacement elastic.

Reaction score
Hi all,had some sucess fishing corn and full depth waggler on the local commie,but could and should have done better,i struggled to keep my loosefeed in a tight area and concentrate the fish.Looking for advice on catapults or sticky mag,or any way of grouping the corn tighter.

Why not use PVA mesh bags, keep them small, fire them out to keep your feed bait clumped together on the bottom of the lake / pond.

rayner

Reaction score
Not many grains of corn are the same size added to that that flat shape will cause the grains to fly a bit haphazard.
It may not be a bad thing when fishing on the drop to have the freebies a little spread.

The Sogster

Reaction score
You can improve your accuracy by using your current catapult upside down.

Sounds odd but it really works.

wanderer

Reaction score

Horlicks in your maggots , better than sticky mag with an extra bonus of bait flavouring, although i dont fish your type of venues, Drennan match catty, deadly accurate.

rubio

Reaction score
As said by Rayner you may be better off not trying to put corn in exactly the same spot if you are fishing waggler on the drop. Cupping in by pole is a different matter as you can then hold your bait confidently in one area. On the drop you want fish to be actively seeking out a feed. 'Getting their heads down' may be counter productive. As a tip you may want to try or not is to gently squeeze a little of the kernel out before casting out a hookbait. Slows the drop and highlights the irregular wafting arc on the way down. I only put 3 no. 11 stotz under the float.
I've been doing this very recently to target crucians and roach which do not appear to relish the colder water at the bottom, yet still gather where the water is deepest. I've been feeding by hand but rarely more than 3 grains, frequently a single free offering followed by the hookbait. Fewer grains, even at distance should reduce your issue.
My real top-tip for corn is use frozen rather than cans. Softer by far. And don't bother with the odd grains that remain whole other than for carp.