catch of the day

peytr

Reaction score
It's not a real classic but for me it qualifies as vintage: I got myself a Silstar GT match Traverse X 3872 - 600. That's 600 cm of match rod. I allways wanted a longer rod, especially for float fishing on 'De Nieuwe Maas' and other large rivers. You simply feel a bit dwarfed using a 450 cm, which I already have.

Anyhow: the Silstar rod is in pristine condition, even the price sticker was still on the rod. It has been out of it's bag in it's thirty years of existance, but there's very little proof of actual use. Of course the rod is not as stiff as a modern one would be (although I do not know of any rod over 17' for sale now) and not as light by a long stretch, but still feels quite OK. To me it looks very pretty with its carbon winding. It fure sure won't take 0.09 hooklengths but on the rivers 0.15 up to 0.18 is more adequate and what this rod will handle beautifully.

Now find some time to introduce it to the old ABU 506 and get some line wet!

nottskev

Reaction score
The Silstar Traverse series was always well rated. It's always a treat to find a bit of vintage gear in great condition. Being light is only one of a rod's desirable features, and not all styles involve waving a rod about all day without putting it down. A rod that's light enough, but balanced, with a bit of meat in the blank and a bit of resilience, can end up preferable to the one that's lightest in class. I've got a couple of Carbonactive's in 15'/17' and I wouldn't swap just lose to an ounce or two.

Keith M

Reaction score
These longer rods are also ideal for float fishing in deeper waters too; especially when you don’t want to fish a sliding float when fish could be taking your bait at any depth.

I still have a 17/20ft rod which I bought when we fished a series of team matches on a venue that had 15ft deep swims and it helped me to win or get placed in several of these matches.

Keith

Last edited: