Catfish fish-in 2007

Matty C

Reaction score
Hiya guys..
Im startin to think about the catfish trip for 2007 already ! haha.. as far as I was aware, the general concencus with the guys that came last time was that 3 ngihts would be better than 2, and it was held at the same place due to its adaptability and helpfulness of the bailiffs..

Now the time of year I was thinking of was going to be June / July, so as try to garuntee some better weather than what we had last time..

The location, for those of you who dont know, is Beaver Fisheries in East Grinstead, near Gatwick airport..

As of right now, Im just trying to get a rough idea of numbers.. I am assuming that everyone that came last time is up for it again ? although Ive not heard anything from christian on the forum for a while now.. you out there mate ? there was 7 of us last time, although budgie would have made it 8 if he hadnt broken down.. If were only going to get 8 people again, we can stay on tuscany (the lake we were on) and hire it for the time were there. If there is any more than 8, were going to need to go over onto snipe, but were going to need atleast 13 people to hire that exclusively.. if, however, we can get 20 names down, we would be allowed to hire both lakes..

I appreciate that 3 nights might be a bit long for some of you, so I had a think about it and came up with the plan that if a good number of us want to come along for 2 nights, we can hire the lake(s) for day 1 and day 2, then if some of us want to stay for the third day, we can, but those who dont want to, can go.. however, to make things easy, I would say that coming for day 1 and 2 is the way forward, rather than 2 and 3.. unless it is unavoidable.

Ok, so there you go.. this will be a first come first serve basis, so if youre genuinely interested, put your name down and we can see how it goes.. also if you know anyone outside of the website that would be interested, give me their names too and Ill put them on the list too.. 20 people will be the target, but we'll have to see whats what.

There is a chance it will be a midweek affair like it was last time.. but if most people can only do weekends and theres no way of coming midweek, then we might be able to switch it around..

http://www.beaverfarmfishery.co.uk/home.htm

theres the website for the complex, as you can see theres loads of other lakes to keep us occupied during the daylight hours, as the cat action will mostly be at night probably.. we might be able to get some kind of a 3 day match going where by the biggest weight caught over 3 days wins a bottle of drink or something, if people are interested in a bit of fun rivalry that is..

so there you go.. the last one was a great crack with a 53lb'er being caught by Mark Hewitt... if anyones up for it, gimmi your name..

all the best
Matt

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers Les,
Ill explain in more detail when more people have responded.. but shouldI put you down for 2 nights or 3 basically ?

cheers dude

Matty C

Reaction score
haha Nick, will do mate.. Mr shimano's name was first on the list.. I thought it best to get a profession envolved, and someone that knows every fish intimately, probably a little too intimately for some of our tastes, but whatever floats his boat I guess..

Matty C

Reaction score
he's already caught one bigger than whatever were gunna catch too.. so he must be good

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I may well be interested too, if thats ok?. As with Les, work & date depending.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I'll go for two at the moment Matty if thats ok. Although could I change in the future?

Although have to say, depending on when it is in June (if it is June) I may not be able to come due to final exams.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I reckon i might be able to get a mate or two from work interested as well.
Wil evan be bringing his stew again??? yum yum lol.
I have purchased a proper sized unhooking mate mat and weigh sling from catfish pro spec for catfish and pike,i should also have a proper sized landing net sorted as well for this trip.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I would love to give this one a go Matty. Never caught a catfish but would dearly love to!

But (and it's a big BUT), I've not got the gear or the bivvy type stuff required for true overnighters!

If you're desperate for numbers and there's someone going who doesn't mind babysitting a catfish novice and has some spare gear etc etc!!!!

Matty C

Reaction score
hiya guys,

Malc it would be great if you can come along.. the more the merrier.. when it comes times to discuss dates, what I did last year was to get everyone to post dates they cant make it, and try n fit it in somewhere to accommodate as many as possible.. obviously we cant please everyone, but we can try..

Christian, when are your exams ? early or late June ? if need be, July is always on the cards. good to hear from you by the way, not heard anything for a while.. I got you down for two also, but you can always change in the future if you want to.

Nick, if you can have a word with your mates asap , Ill put their names down also. good job on getting some stepped up gear, with any luck we'll test it to its limits. I dont know if Evan will bring a stew, haha.. but if the demand is strong enough, he might have to.. maybe you should start a petition.. a bbq is on the cards again of course..

Neil, It would be great if you could come along too.. gear wise, if youve not got the heavy rods and so on, I have a couple spare 3lb test curve rods I can lend you, with some bait runners with 15lb mainline, which should be sufficiant. I trust you have a pod and such ? terminal tackle i.e. hooks / hooklength material / poly balls, you can buy at the onsite shop, although its not hard to find on the internet at good prices. With regards to bivvy, I dont even own a suitable bivvie as yet.. I had to borrow a spare of Mark, and might have to again this year if mark is willing, although I might have one by then.. Personally, all I had for the overnighters was a sleeping bag, a headtorch, some drink and some food.. I / we stayed awake most of the night cuz thats when the cats are most active, but when I did sleep, I just slept on my unhooking mat.. was comfy enough.
The guys that came last year are all a great bunch and Im sure everyone will be willing to help you out with whatever is needed.. with regards to baby sitting a novice, I think 90% of us are novices when it comes to cats.. we will hopefully have an expert with us, if budgie can make it this time, if not, the fishery bailiff is extremelly helpful and spent as much time as possible with us last time, helping us with rigs, tactics and so on.. he even came round every one of us and told us the depth of our swim and features etc etc.. if god forbid if you hook one, youll scream loud enough that everyone on the complex will wake up and find you to help out.. So all in all, inexperiance and / or lack of equipment isnt a big deal.. we can all help out as much as possible.

cheers guys.. if there are any more Q's, just gimmi a shout..

btw, Ive had a word with cakey and he's deffinately coming..

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
The bailiff was good,i must agree...so good he told me i had picked one of the worst swims in the lake to fish!!! (too many rocks and snags around the little island i was casting my left hand rod to)
I will be honest here and say i did stand in marks swim for a while when deciding where to fish before anyone else had arrived.The constant noise from that water wheel type aeriator would have done my box in all bloody day and night,so i decided against fishing there.I did fancy fishing along the bank where you,evan,cakey and emmo where but i thought i would have trouble setting up my shelter on that hard ground.As it turned out,where cakey was set up is probably one of the better areas because there is a bar running along the lake bed in front of his swim....thats where the cats patrol apparently.
Neil,dont worry too much about having the right tackle.I think most of us turned up last year with preconceived ideas of what was needed and went home probably a bit more wiser as to what tackle,rigs and methods we should use.
I have a spare 3lbs tc rod i can bring and bait runner etc....there is plenty of time to read up and research and buy stuff.Budgie e-mailed us all a good article he wrote on fishing for cats,that explains it all.Every one will no doubt have extra bits and bobs we can share amongst us....thats the good thing about these shindigs,a good time with helpful,friendly people.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Matty, I think they finish on the 22nd but I'm not 100% sure. I will try to find out though.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I'm in, all three days please. Also, I can bring extra tackle (Rods, Reels, alarms and a bivvey- unless you need it Matt?). I'm sure there will be others that can help, as the lake has a two rod limit.
Mayby an idea if pick a date to aim for, then adjust if required when the feedback comes in

Matty C

Reaction score
If you can find out for us Chris it would be a help.. we can probably say early July.. shall we say for an aiming point, the 3rd to the 6th of July.. ? thats a tuesday to friday.. same as last time in that we will arrive roughly at 12 noon on the tuesday, and leave at noon on the friday, that way we get to only pay for 3 days, if you catch my drift..

Mark, good to hear from you mate.. I got you down for all 3.. If you could bring along your extra bivvie it would be a great help, although I might not need it as I might splash out n buy one myself.. I only use them maybe once or twice a season, so not sure if its worth the money..

cheers guys,
talk to you all soon.
Matt

Matty C

Reaction score
good stuff Paul, if you two can make it also it would be good..

the dates suggested are the 3rd to 6th of July..

If these dont work for anyone for things like holiday commitments or such, just say so and we can try n fit around everyone.

Reaction score
Matty, can you put myself and Pikey Paul as interested?

We are both catfish novices and will offer a towing service if Budgie breaks down again

:)