Catfish Fish-in 2010 late August or give it a miss this year ?

Windy

Reaction score
whos baby is it ?

I suppose if it's anybody's it's mine.

About time we made some decisions or abandon the attempt ?

Sorry to have let this slip, I've not been frequenting the Forum with my previous diligence lately, having secured a thankful return to employment and less time to sit and browse.

Seems to me that we have one best course of action at the moment: Beaver Farm again ?

Reasoning ?:

My suggestion that we move up north to attract more participants (or at least give the opportunity to them as have complained about it being south centric in the past) doesn't in the end appear to have attracted one additional person.
At the same time we've confused ourselves looking at a number of not hugely Catfish populated in said area.
Beaver is a known quantity, decent water, decent environment and within reasonable reach of all likely to attend with exceptions (sorry Nick :eek:)

So shall I get on the blower to Beaver now and see whether they can do the dates and numbers ?
Or is there one last must have venue anyone is proposing Northampton-ish way ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Windy,

Here is a decent catfish venue:

catches

Scroll on down this page to:

"Paddock specimen lake Phil Jones took catfish of 25lb, 31lb and 35lb. Paul Woodget took 2 cats with the biggest going 25lb. Tony Milton banked his first ever cat weighing 70lb 8oz, Tony also banked a 24lb catfish."

Catfish are not my 'cup of tea' but I've seen some nice specimens come out of Paddock Lake, and the Carp are not all that uneasy on the eye either . . . . . . . . .

And other pictures here:

SPECIMEN LAKE

Hope that helps.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
You might also wish to consider Swangey Lakes in Norfolk, only 3-4 miles from Snetterton. Cats to 70lb there as well and good Carp.

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 ----------

Swangey Lakes

Windy

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant Elphicks, not Beaver.
A bit of a senior moment there, the years blurring into each other :(
Anyone / everyone for Elphicks ?
Or fancy a punt at this Todber Manor place ? Looks interesting....

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Or fancy a punt at this Todber Manor place ? Looks interesting....

I might be up for that Windy, although i'll try to tempt the 'Kurps' and not the Catfish.

As always, it depends on when it is scheduled for and my work/travel requirements.

I think you can take the whole lake for 7 anglers for 250 pounds for the weekend, so that is about 35 pounds and change for each angler.

Windy

Reaction score
I think you can take the whole lake for 7 anglers for 250 pounds for the weekend, so that is about 35 pounds and change for each angler.

I'll go for that in principle. Damn good deal, and even better if we can attract one or two more late joiners to the merry horde of catfish virgins. Except Cakey. Except Mark. Except.... well, just about everybody apart from me (incompetent :j) and Nick (unlucky :()....

All those confirming interest on the basis of 250 divided by (hopefully) 7 at worst, please PM me and if I get 6 positive replies I will take the punt of booking it on Monday when I get back from this coming weekend's fish-in. If we get any additional joiners then the figures will come down, but even if they don't it seems like a pretty good deal for price v. quality of water and exclusivity of having the whole lake to me.

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:52 ----------

So, in principle, Todber Manor, Paddock specimen lake SPECIMEN LAKE - looks good to me.

Will ring them tomorrow to check availability for booking the whole lake for the weekends of August 20 - 22nd or 27 - 29th, Friday pm through to Sunday mid-day. If both dates are available then we will have to make a choice.

If there is only one weekend available then it's Hobson's choice and I will let you all know when I know.

If both are available then we will collectively have to make a fairly speedy choice - so if anyone on the potential attendees list below DEFINITELY and for good reason can't make one or the other weekend then let me know so I can go for the weekend with the most likely attendees.

Present potential attendees as far as this thread goes:

Windy
Mark hewitt
Les Clark
Cakey (I dunno, his six private messages pleading for a place seemed a wee bit equivocal to me... is his heart really in it ? Hmmmm :wh)
Neneman Nick
Trev (via Nick, can you give him a bell if he's not loggging in lately ?)
Peter Jacobs provisionally
As always, it depends on when it is scheduled for and my work/travel requirements.

Possibly Emmo and / or Junior ?
Christian ? (If you're looking in on the forum I hope, I can offer a lift there and back)

And A. N. E. Other subject to:

their website says there are "7 easily accessible swims" so 7 max it is.

That kinda crystallises the price at £250 divided by 7 = £35 a head.

Priority to those first 7 who have indicated early interest and commitment in the thread as above. If any of those initial 7 can't make it then priority to whoever sticks their hands in the air first.... whether Emmo, Jnr, Christian or some of the other previous Catfish pursuers.... Claudia ? you broken your Catfish duck ? Or still attracted by the chance of doing so ? Wendy ? Be good to see you on the banks again.

Anyone else / Newbie to FM events attracted by the proposed venue / its geographical convenience to you ? Go for it, once you've tried it you won't be able to stop going to them all !

Hoping we can make it work and see you all there to witness me (Catfish) blank yet again :wh. At least you get the traditional Pork 'n Beans supper on the Friday night to help brace you for the effort of the weekend ahead (tho if you're all bored with it I can manage an equally mean chilli con carne or meat risotto.... x )

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
cant go with out Colin and Sue it would be like a Twix without the chocolate and toffee