Catfish fish in

• Thread starter Colin North, the one and only
  • Start date
C

Colin North, the one and only

Has anyone heard whether this event is being held in 2008? I did email Matty, who organised last years event, but I haven't heard from him.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I have mailed him as well colin and mailed evan who knows him...no reply at this end either.

I`m keen on going again this year and fingers crossed i`ll bloody well catch one this time round!!!

C

Hi Nick,

Perhaps we should organise ourselves. What do you think?

Colin

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

First you need a venue. Then you need a date. Everything else will fall into place.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
If its where it was it last time I'll come, although maybe not for the whole weekend as might not be able to get work off on Sunday /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
It`s an idea colin.....i have no problems with going back to beaver farm but i think we need someone from down that way to perhaps liase in person,as well as someone in overall charge.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I'm keen on this one. If we've lost Matt (I hope not) Then I'm happy to arrange one.

I have fond memories of beaver farm, but have to agree with Les regarding certain issues. If I were to organise one thenit would have to be more midlands based - due to my location. I have a couple of venues aroundNorthants/Beds area in mind.

How do we feel about this?

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Midlands would be great for me. Only venues I know that have cats im em are Western Lawns nr Bedworth and Barby Mill pools Barby nr Rugby Im sure there will be others that are larger and more suitable

C

I'm easy with anywhere, as long as it doesn't stray too far North, 'co's the weather up there is colder (joke)

Actually, what about that estate lake in Bedford that was at one time believed to be the only place in England with Cats. I can't remember the name of it, but it was featured as a day ticket water on the Home & Leisure channel.

Actually, since typing the above, the name Clayden has popped into my head.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
As far as I know Colin, Claydon had a 'no night fishing' rule, I shall try and confirm that though.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
What waters were you thinking of mark??? i know of two waters that hold cats that are pretty close to me.....bluebell lakes (home of benson the carp),a lake just north of northampton but thats run by the catfish conservation groupand one near flag fen at peterboro,other than that i`m a bit stumped???

I think that pike supremo mick brown fishes a lake for it`s cats somewhere near royston...i`m racking my brainsbut cant think of what it is,it`s quite possibly a day ticket water on or close to an army base???

You`re not thinking of woburn abbey are you colin???

I don`t mind helping out on this one with organisation etc....i know nothing is certain in fishing but it would be nice if the venue had a good stock of cats including kittens,which would give everyone an excellent chance of at least catching a fish.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Clayden is also part of a club, along with tiddenfoot (I think) and one more, Leighton Buzzard anglng club or something similar. I seem to remember they don't do day tickets though?!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Been having a quick look via google for catfish waters....

Elphicks holds cats and is just down the road from beaver farm.

I have also come up with this one.... www.willowcroftfishfarmandfisheries.co.uk It holds 315 cats to 60lbs!!!The cambs venueaint too far away from me and i could always pay them a visit and see the lay of the land as it were???

Naseby resevoir,just off the A14 on the outskirts of northants also holds cats to35lbs but not too sure about the actual fishing rules and regulations??? I think brit waterways run it???

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Naseby in also no night fishing (I've already tried them).

I have a few more ideas, and thanks for the suggestions.

Plenty of venues around, but I'm looking specificaly for day-ticket waters, that allow night fishing and hold enough fish to give everyone a reasonable chance of a fish, most so far are falling short on one or two of those requirements.........Leave it with me.

Morespiders

Reaction score
What about Shatterford lakes nr Kidderminster , just a suggestion think they do nightfishing as well, went there 15 years ago, well stocked with cats in about 2-3 of the pools.

I think they went upto about 40lb?, quite a nice place to, deer running about good banking. I dont know if they still have it but it wasfloodlit at night.

PS , just been on site cat's upto 50lb

C

Hi Nick, Seeing a reference to Claydon and Lieghton Buzzard pretty well convinces me that that is the one I was thinking about.

There are cats to 40lb plus in <u>Charlies Lake,</u> near Ashford (Kent) which is just off the M20. The owner definitely allows night-fishing. At a guess I would say that its about twice as big as the lake at Beaver that we fished last year, and he does allow live baiting if you are in to that, and there are no Pike in it. There are some very big perch: my best 3lb14oz. It is also easy to find.

The only drawback is that there is a healthy population of ratus ratus there and there is a Road and Railway along the back of the lake that sometimes can be a bit noisy.