centerpin fishing

• Thread starter Paul Przybylski-garry
  • Start date
P

Paul Przybylski-garry

Having just made a purchase of a new Okuma s 1002 centerpin reel, I find that there is very little information about how to use or cast a centerpin. If anyone can offer any assistance in getting some information, it would be most welcome.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Best way to learn is to find someone to watch, but failing that:

Assuming you're right handed - controlling the speed of the reel with your right thumb:

Draw line from the rod with your left thumb and forefinger (either side of first ring).

Cast using sideways swing (almost underhand flick).

A lot of people have the line running off the top of the reel (I prefer off the bottom).

(If your left handed: take reel off rod, throw it away and fit a decent closed faced reel!)

B

Bob Watson

Do a google for the Wallis cast. There's a video kicking about the web somewhere. Master that and you've mastered the pin. Other than that, trotting with the pin is easier than with a fixed spool or closed face.

P

Paul Przybylski-garry

Thanks very much Woody. I found the thread you sent very helpful. Thanks also to Bob and Neil for your info. Any further info would be most welcome, as I am a complete novice when it comes to fishing with a centerpin. I suppose its going to be trial and error in my case, but I love a challenge. It seems to have become a forgotten art around the Telford area. I have not seen anyone on the River Severn in the Ironbridge area ever use one, or on any of the other rivers or lakes in the area. If anyone does use one in my area, please drop me a line. Thanks again.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
When I came back to fishing after many years away, I started to use the 'pin on lakes, paticularly in summer in the margins.

That gave me a lot (well some) practice at playing fish which stood me in good stead for the proper stuff on the rivers.

Waveney One

Reaction score
I always have the line coming off the top of the reel. That way when a fish runs you have better control with your thumb. Try moving your middle finger against your thumb. You will find that from hand to nail it goes smoothly, nail to hand it junders. Think about that and playing a fish or slowing the reel down on a cast.

T

Tony Rocca

You must have funny thumbs, I did try it though.

Line comes of bottom in my book.

S

Sean Meeghan

The other advantage of the line coming off the top of the reel is that its less susceptible to wind blowing it around.

The line that is!

S

Sean Meeghan

You may need to change the position of your bottom hand slightly to get the right angle of pull, but I should think so. I'm not an expert however, can do it with a lead, but struggle with a float.

T

Tony Rocca

"You may need to change the position of your bottom hand slightly"

Crikey Sean, my "bottom hand" is my right, but I use my left to cast. Bit drastic such a change I think.

S

Sean Meeghan

Now I'm confused! Can't see what difference the way the line comes off the reel. All you're doing is starting the reel turning. Or am I missing something?

Tony what you use your bottom hand for is your own business!

T

Tony Rocca

Sean, it would be very difficult, almost impossible, to wallis cast any sort of distance with the line comming off the top I think.

I will have a try to see.

S

Sean Meeghan

OK. I fish with the line coming off the bottom anyway. Thats why I'm looking for a caged reel to stop the line blowing about. I'll keep the other for legering with heavier lines.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
the trouble with cages is they tent to get in the way of wallis casting,but theres more to fishing with a centre-pin than the wallis cast (!wash my mouth out with soap!) i find wind affects braid less than mono,and if its too strong then i use one of my closed faced reels.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks Chavender, I never fully understood the Wallis cast.
The video clip was great!
Give a little back, thanks mate.

;-)

S

Sean Meeghan

Know what you mean about moving to a closed face reel Chavender, but I find it easier to get good presentation with the pin.

Feel a bit guilty about getting involved in this thread as of all my mates I probably float fish least!!