Centre pin line release

Keith M

Reaction score
Don’t get tangles around the reel foot with a line guard.

Line guards are a no no for me John because you can’t really do a decent Wallis cast with a line guard fitted.

I never trot a float in gale force winds, so with my line coming off the bottom of the spool I rarely get line caught around the reel foot anyway, simply because gravity doesn’t get to pull the line behind the reel, like it does on a true Centrepin held on its side. Having bearings I don’t have to hold my reel on it’s side like I’ve needed to do when I’ve used a true Centrepin in the past (without bearings).

Keith

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some interesting points being raised in this thread, useful for a centrepin newbie like me. So with my Speedia, a true pin, I should keep it horizontal for the trot to offer less resistance?

sam vimes

Reaction score
you can’t really do a decent Wallis cast with a line guard fitted.

I think my reels must have read to wrong text books and I just didn't bother. I have two different types with line guides fitted. Though one type is easier to Wallis cast with than the other, I can manage it with both. I accept that this might come down to what exactly is meant by "decent", and it's slightly easier to do with a reel unencumbered by a line guard. However, with all else equal, I can achieve a cast as long and accurate with or without a line guard.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Some interesting points being raised in this thread, useful for a centrepin newbie like me. So with my Speedia, a true pin, I should keep it horizontal for the trot to offer less resistance?

In general, yes. However, you can at times, also tilt the reel from horizontal to vertical to your advantage.

Philip

Reaction score

Also being a relative newbie to centerpins compared to some on here I would be interested to hear what others think but my understanding here is that as its a pin in a bush the idea is that the more you tilt it the less the pin comes into contact with the bush so you get less friction. However as you can imagine we are talking microscopically small amounts.

Some say that due to this bush pins are "better" for trotting as the tiny changes in the angle of the pin to the bush can help speed up or slow down the line flow and basically aid the trot. I dont know the reality. I guess "better" will always be a subjective decision.

What I do know is that a pin and bush is a very old design compared to a bearing.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Reels like JW Young’s Purist 2 are amongst the Holy Grail of centrepins and they are fitted with a bearing. Centrepin bores will decry the fact and say that you can’t call it a centrepin but that’s just a load of Old Wifery. Centrepin technology has evolved (slowly, it must be admitted) as well as rod, reel, line, terminal tackle, luggage, seatboxes, etc, etc.

Anyone who wants to fish with a “true” centrepin on a 13ft Greenheart rod using silk line and a scraped gut leader has my fervent blessing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
7849d1572554214-how-did-you-get-dsc_0140-crop.jpg

JW Youngs (very recent model) - Check.
Bearings - Nope.
Greenheart (or any other obsolete nonsense) - Not a chance in hell.

Bearings aren't a holy grail for a centrepin, nor are they the work of Baelzebub. Not all true pins are antiques.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lovely looking reel but those handles!

I’m thinking of making a line guard for my Speedia and not sure where it will be best located, the positioning of yours would impede batting?

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
JW Young Purist 2 which does have a bearing.

Attachments

• 2D5461F4-9994-4358-8D09-58703B41DAD4.jpg
    2D5461F4-9994-4358-8D09-58703B41DAD4.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 311

John Keane

Reaction score
7849d1572554214-how-did-you-get-dsc_0140-crop.jpg

JW Youngs (very recent model) - Check.
Bearings - Nope.
Greenheart (or any other obsolete nonsense) - Not a chance in hell.

Bearings aren't a holy grail for a centrepin, nor are they the work of Baelzebub. Not all true pins are antiques.

Which centrepin is that?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Lovely looking reel but those handles!

They probably wouldn't have been my choice. However, they look a lot better in the flesh and I've grown used to them.

I’m thinking of making a line guard for my Speedia and not sure where it will be best located, the positioning of yours would impede batting?

Yes, it does impede batting, but I'm a finger through type anyway. I don't much like batting, except perhaps on a bearing reel without a line guard. However, it is possible to employ a strange kind of handle flick-cum-bat on a reel with a line guard fitted. If you think you are going to bat to retrieve, then it might be best if you don't fit a guard.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They probably wouldn't have been my choice. However, they look a lot better in the flesh and I've grown used to them.

Yes, it does impede batting, but I'm a finger through type anyway. I don't much like batting, except perhaps on a bearing reel without a line guard. However, it is possible to employ a strange kind of handle flick-cum-bat on a reel with a line guard fitted. If you think you are going to bat to retrieve, then it might be best if you don't fit a guard.

Won’t be a permanent fixture, just a little project to keep me occupied during rainy days. I was thinking of positioning it between 15 and 30 minutes past in clock face terms, wouldn't impede batting but will it do it’s intended job in such a position?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Won’t be a permanent fixture, just a little project to keep me occupied during rainy days. I was thinking of positioning it between 15 and 30 minutes past in clock face terms, wouldn't impede batting but will it do it’s intended job in such a position?

Look at my pic and see where the line comes off the reel. I'd imagine a guard fitted from 3 to 6 might do a job, but it's likely to foul the line too. Depending on the depth of the reel's arbour and the height of, and distance to, the butt ring, the line exits the reel somewhere around the 7/8 o'clock mark. A line guard fitted between 3 and 6 is very likely to end up with line running over it rather than through it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m glad you’ve pointed that out Chris, I had misunderstood the concept of the guard not realising the line passes through an enclosed framework, my thinking was that it worked as a guide to prevent the line spilling over the rim if that makes any sense.

Keith M

Reaction score
I find that a line guard is definitely a hinderence when I’m doing a Wallis cast. Even the great man himself (F.W.K.Wallis) thought the same of his cast.

F.W.K. Wallis called it ‘the Modern Light Float cast from the reel. Nottingham Style’ and it was subsequently known as the Wallis Cast.

In his detailed description of the Wallis cast in the book ‘Fine Angling for Coarse Fish’ he wrote the following about the cast:

Quote from the book Fine Angling for Coarse fish where Wallis describes his cast:
It is of the utmost importance that the reel is very free and fast running and of a size from 3½ to 4in. without any line guard.

Although he states that a reel diameter of 3½ to 4in should be used a 4½ diameter reel is fine.

I know that some anglers do succeed in performing this cast with a line guard fitted but a lot of line guards make it quite difficult to perform this cast correctly, and if you also like retrieving your line after a trot by batting your spool (to increase the speed of your retrieve) then a line guard can be a definate disadvantage.

If you do manage to perform a Wallis cast with a line guard fitted then I take my hat off to you; but it’s not for me that’s for sure.

The picture below shows my favourite workhorse of a trotting centrepin; the Okuma Sheffield which has bearings and does not have a line guard.

Keith

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I like the funky looking Okuma Raw and, if I didn’t have the Purist 2, I’d get one like a shot.

Where I fish you don’t need to Wallis cast and a 4-fingered loop cast usually suffices. Just as well as I like the line guard.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've found that reels with deeper arbours need a line guard less than those with shallower arbours. The downside is that the deeper arboured reels can be a bit slow on the retrieve. The Okumas fall into that category, but I'm much happier using them in less than perfect conditions than I am a shallow arboured Kingpin.

I'm finding that the more I use pins (of whatever type), the more I learn and my preferences are slowly evolving. I'm picking different reels to go on different rods and for different conditions. The last thing I'd want is one supposedly perfect reel. I don't believe such a beast exists.