Centre pin line release

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From the top or from the bottom, any pros and cons or does it not matter?

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's just a matter of personal preference there is no right way - I prefer my line from the bottom.....

peterjg

Reaction score
Tried top and bottom - top is much better.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's just a matter of taste. Though I've tried both ways, I only use "off the bottom" now. Reeling in backwards was simply something I was never going to get used to. Any potential benefit of "off the top" was rendered totally pointless. The suggested benefit of "off the top" is that it's less affected by windy conditions.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've ended up, having tried both, with the line from the top. It doesn't seem to make much odds for small to medium size fish, but for bigger fish that are likely to take line it makes a difference to braking the drum. With line from the bottom, the spool will be pushing against your thumb as it turns, and it's much more prone to give you (or me, anyway) a juddery, jumpy drag. With line from the top, the drum is pulling away from your thumb and it feels easier to apply a smooth pressure to it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've ended up, having tried both, with the line from the top. It doesn't seem to make much odds for small to medium size fish, but for bigger fish that are likely to take line it makes a difference to braking the drum. With line from the bottom, the spool will be pushing against your thumb as it turns, and it's much more prone to give you (or me, anyway) a juddery, jumpy drag. With line from the top, the drum is pulling away from your thumb and it feels easier to apply a smooth pressure to it.

Whether it works like this depends on how the rod/reel combination works together and how an individual holds a rod and centrepin combination. The way I hold a rod/reel and apply my thumb, it makes no difference. The pressure is the same whichever way the reel rotates. I do appreciate that it's not the same for others whose hold is different to mine.

bullet

Reaction score
Off the bottom, winding backwards just isn't right, imo.

xenon

Reaction score
off the top for me. Line seems to pay out better and as Nottskev says, braking big fish with the drum rotating anti-clockwise is an easier business altogether.

barbelboi

Reaction score
braking big fish with the drum rotating anti-clockwise is an easier business altogether.

I've never found that but I will agree that if it's what you're used to and comfortable with then that's the way to go. IMO the main thing is having a reel that you have confidence in, a sound knowledge of your rod, reel, line setup and how it performs under stress and everything else should then be instinctive..........

steve2

Reaction score
I've never found that but I will agree that if it's what you're used to and comfortable with then that's the way to go. IMO the main thing is having a reel that you have confidence in, a sound knowledge of your rod, reel, line setup and how it performs under stress and everything else should then be instinctive..........

Totally agree there is no right or wrong way it's just what is right for you.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone fitted a cork arbor to speed up the retrieve? I’ve just bought a Speedia with a very deep spool and that mod seems quite popular.

trotter2

Reaction score
Try both ways and then decide which is best for you . I like the line coming off the top which for me personally gives me less tangles around the back off the foot.

bracket

Reaction score
Anyone fitted a cork arbor to speed up the retrieve? I’ve just bought a Speedia with a very deep spool and that mod seems quite popular.

S63. I bought a Speedia in 1957. The first thing I did was to put an additional set of pins around the circumstance to increase the effective diameter. The second thing was to remove the handles. In those days we just batted the reel to retrieve. Pete.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Botom for me .

Winding backwards it just way too hard Plus it is easier i find to bat the reel with line on the bottom .

But at the end of the day it is what works best for you that matters ..

... PG ..

John Keane

Reaction score
From the bottom, every time. Do a lot of fly-fishing and can’t imagine having any line coming off the top.

seth49

Reaction score
From the bottom as well, it just feels wrong winding the wrong way.

I’ve been using a Matt Hayes limited edition pin a lot this year, it’s a wide spool job, and I’ve had at least fifty carp on it this year alone, it certainly doesn’t need an alarm the ratchet is really loud,
I find it perfect for fishing in the margins, good fun with a double figure carp, it was a good buy for fifty pounds a few years ago.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve tried both off the top and off the bottom and much prefer my line coming off the bottom.

I can see why some anglers like the ‘off the top’ method because of it being a little more direct through the first ring and being less affected by the wind and not tangling around the reel foot as much as off the bottom, especially when they are using true centrepins so are usually holding them on their sides to make them run a little more easily; but to be honest the pins that I use the most both have bearings so can be held vertically so they don’t seem to get this problem quite as much as traditional centrepins, plus I just can’t get used to having my spool rotating in the opposite direction to all my other reels when retrieving line.

I also find the Wallis cast a lot less of a problem with my line coming off the bottom.

Keith

Last edited: