Centrepins for beginners.

Wakou

Reaction score
I recently bought an (expensive) 13ft float rod and a cheap (new) 'pin to go with. I have only been out threes time with it, but often find the line has gone around the back of the reel. I have not been out in windy conditions yet!
My reel, a NGT, has no line-guard. I was wondering if it is possible to make one, perhaps using a butt-ring off of an old donor-rod? And attaching it to the rod just above the handle, IYSWIM?

@Clive

Reaction score
Many of us regard line guards as a hindrance to casting. If you are casting using the loops pulled through the guides then let the front one go first and the other loops sequentially to the back one last. If you are casting off the reel then you are probably letting the reel spin too fast. Same goes for trotting. It is usually loose line between the reel and first guide that gets tangled. Gently brake the reel with your thumb and don't let loose line spill off it.

peterjg

Reaction score
No need for a lineguard. Have the line coming from the top of the reel instead of the bottom. I used a pin for many years loading the line in the conventional way but swapped it to come from the top, it takes a bit of getting used to but it is much better.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I agree,but there will be some that disagree,I've had this debate before🙂

Keith M

Reaction score
Agree Clive,I hate line guards,horrible things...
So do I.

No need for a lineguard. Have the line coming from the top of the reel instead of the bottom. I used a pin for many years loading the line in the conventional way but swapped it to come from the top, it takes a bit of getting used to but it is much better.

Any advantages that I might get with the line coming off the top are fairly minor; plus I find that using the Wallis cast is made slightly harder with the ‘off the top method’ and even harder still if you have a line guard fitted regardless of whether I choose ‘off the top or bottom’.

I have tried to convert to off the top a couple of times just to see whether it makes any difference; however having to retrieve by turning the handle in the opposite direction to all my other reels just feels wrong; so I didn’t persevere with it and went back to the ‘off the bottom’ method.

However just try it and if you prefer it then that’s fine, as I said there’s no right or wrong way; it’s just a personal preference.

Keith

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
According to Keith Speers he said that the line coming off the top gave better winding power when playing big fish,,don't ask me how....I'm curious Keith how Wallis casting is easier from the bottom?

Keith M

Reaction score
I admit it doesn’t make it that more difficult with ‘Off the top’ method; it’s just the way I grab the line ‘above’ rather than below the reel at the start of the Wallis cast especially with the bottom shot held between my fingers :)

Keith

Philip

Reaction score
According to Keith Speers he said that the line coming off the top gave better winding power when playing big fish,,don't ask me how

Surely its a 1:1 ratio off the top or bottom ?!?

...maybe Keith has bigger biceps than triceps so can wind backwards with more force 😁

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I
I admit it doesn’t make it that more difficult with ‘Off the top’ method; it’s just the way I grab the line ‘above’ rather than below the reel at the start of the Wallis cast especially with the bottom shot held between my fingers :)

Keith

I do the same Keith more often than not,I think it's what you get used to,it's a bit like casting a lead with a hooked pva bag on,my mate holds it and casts underarm,I find if I am slightly off with the swing the bag is fooked,so I swing the lot a couple of times(underarm too)to insure it's going the right direction,it's what you find easiest...