Changes in roach fishing

rayner

Reaction score
Not talking big roach because I rarely encounter them, when I fished as a lad right through up to present date it seems I've only had smaller fish. Of course, I could fish waters that held bigger roach, in truth I couldn't care less. I could have fished say the Dam Flask that held some big roach I even had a little time fishing for them with some success on bread flake but it wasn't really my bag. Roach to 8oz even 12oz was quite acceptable for me.

Light lines were to my mind order of the day coupled with small hooks, careful feeding as not to ever feed was my way. In summer I'd move all the shot up the line to the waggler then have a piece of Peacock quill about 6 to 8 inch from the hook to fish shallow but didn't hit too many bites because the bites were lightning-quick plus striking through the float it wasn't really successful, it all added to the progression.

After a few years came the puller a stick float with two pieces of thin tube for the line to run through stopped with a slider knot, with no shot it was rigged with No7 styles, it was a mega slow sinking bait that was pulled slowly through the feed, cast out take the line between finger and thumb then retrieve slowly fish, roach mostly would hook themselves against the tight line. Quite tricky until you got the hang of it. An upside-down waggler with the line flowing through a ring at the top of the float worked to a degree if the fish were out of casting range with the puller float.

Then came the bubble, it was nothing more than a feeder with no lead. A sort of kinder egg with holes drilled for the bait to escape with a long hooklength cast it out keeping a tight line again roach hooked themselves. A red hot tactic in the right hands.

After that came fishing as shallow as the fish get with fixed rigs close to the surface on the pole, rigs from 8-inch deep with a 3 inch from the pole tip to the float with a 2-inch to the bulk with a 3-inch hook length, two more shallow rigs with varying depths to cover the top 12-inch of water,

Finally, the jigger fished on a three feet piece of .19 line with a 3-inch hooklength of .14. a bulk of shot at the knot No8s normally, the .19 line is to keep the line straight as the rig is lowered. It seems to go against everything I've learnt but it is devastating when it comes to catching fish.

I've probably missed other technique changes I was shown how to catch roach quick but they elude me for the moment.

mikench

Reaction score
The puller float intrigued me and I bought one. It was beyond me I think but maybe the new owner may be along soon to mention it if he has managed to try it out. I love roach and Rudd but struggle for specimens. 1lb 2 oz is my biggest roach but I keep trying.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's noticeable, too, how many of these new methods for catching roach up in the water came out of South Yorkshire. Not a very safe place to be a roach, by the look of it. I was sat by a flat calm lake the other day in all that sunshine, failing to catch any tench, but watching a shoal of big (by my standards) rudd playing on the surface 30 yards out. When I got home, I dug out these feeders - floating to slow sinking, as you tune them, and I think I was told the bloke who makes them is South Yorkshire. I'm planning to try and catch some of those rudd.

aaaaaaaaa.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
You won’t believe this Kev but I have some of those . They remain unused.:confused:

Paste paul

Reaction score
I like using a length of line with a bb shot on it plus the hook when pole fishing for roach....... it’s a little similar to the jigger but there’s no float.....
The fish hooks itself against the elastic and bb shot.
In fact the first time I used this method I was fishing a match and win it with 54lb of roach just beating a guy who had all carp.

Aknib

Reaction score
I think heli rigs, or more the wider use of them, have revolutionised the specimen branch of Roach fishing.

I've dabbled, with limited success but it's something I intend to pursue at some point. Certainly not the finesse approach I would generally have gone to for Roach but having had some unintended clonkers on 90grm method feeders at long range I can see why they account for so many big fish.

On a more general note I've had a limited approach compared to the many methods in the fine opening post, one thing I don't see much of these days are competent hemp anglers and the ones I've watched in the past have used the bait to deadly effect.

Something else for my ever lengthening list of must do's :)

xenon

Reaction score
I've always been rubbish at roach fishing-I do much better for chub and barbel as I seem to have an afinity for when, where and what they will eat. Roach? Not a clue.

peterjg

Reaction score
Roach, they are a total mystery to me, they are all I fish for now. There seems (to me anyway) that there is no pattern, no one method to concentrate on? Every trip is different; rigs, bait, methods, etc. It's coming together a bit now with my average size increasing. I have a good run of decent roach and then normal service resumes and I am back to square one? They are absolutely fascinating.

There is something special about roach when anglers like Walker, Wilson, Miles, Bowler, Lampard, Braddock are/were such enthusiasts!

New methods and baits have been introduced. Aknib rightly mentioned the helirig for roach. It is normally used with very short hooklinks and maggots but it works with slightly longer hooklinks and wheat. There are flavourings and pellets which are definitely preferred by roach.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I remember some great days roach fishing on the Kent Stour at Plucks Gutter all on standard float fishing also on the hampshire avon. Always liked float fishing for roach it seemed the way they should be fished for. Over the last few years I haven't fished for roach but have caught plenty. The best have been taken on method feeders and mimi boilies when fishing for bream and tench. Not really roach fishing in my eyes.

rayner

Reaction score
The puller float intrigued me and I bought one. It was beyond me I think but maybe the new owner may be along soon to mention it if he has managed to try it out. I love roach and Rudd but struggle for specimens. 1lb 2 oz is my biggest roach but I keep trying.

Do you mean you bought a stick float Mike, that's all a puller is made from.
If I was capable of posting photos it would be easy for me to explain.
The stick has two pieces of tube glued one at either end, the line is slowly pulled through the tubes to the bottom stop. bites are just tugs on the line as the line is pulled through the float. Feed, cast and slowly retrieve through the baited area. Simple but very effective.
There's a bit more to it than my quick synopsis but you get the gist I'm sure.
What was the puller you bought?

rayner

Reaction score
It's noticeable, too, how many of these new methods for catching roach up in the water came out of South Yorkshire. Not a very safe place to be a roach, by the look of it. I was sat by a flat calm lake the other day in all that sunshine, failing to catch any tench, but watching a shoal of big (by my standards) rudd playing on the surface 30 yards out. When I got home, I dug out these feeders - floating to slow sinking, as you tune them, and I think I was told the bloke who makes them is South Yorkshire. I'm planning to try and catch some of those rudd.

View attachment 9296
The chap you speak of who came up with these floating feeders was Rob Hitchen, not the fellow who came up with the bubble method. His name escapes me so does the names of any methods I posted, the more progressive tactics were all from Sheffield anglers.

The bubble was nothing more than a plastic egg, my particular one was a plastic grape begged from the local fruit and veg shop. It caused a bit of mirth because the shop was the other side of the road has my local and the shop owner was a regular who delighted in telling anyone who'd listen about my begging for a grape.
The plastic grape that was drilled with holes for maggots to escape with a slot along one side that would open with a squeeze to get the bait in, holes either end for the line to go through stopped with shots to regulate the drop through the water and fix the bubble to the line. Fish would hook themselves against the weight of the bubble
Just as deadly as the puller, like the puller the bubble had a little more to it than just a drilled egg.

mikench

Reaction score
Gary I bought it off a guy who makes them in Barnsley or Sheffield. An odd looking thing which I never used.

nottskev

Reaction score
Bob Roberts has a few pages on the bubble floats in his 1993 book on legering. That's where I first saw it; they weren't thought of where I was living.
Here's his diagram of a version made from a Kinder egg. He credits a bloke called Tony Wills with first using it with great success.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
That's the chap Kev Tony willis, he took local venues apart with his bubble.
I used the grape for the simple reason it was smaller. other anglers had no idea what I was doing. I won quite a few matches on still waters.
If Tony Willis was on the venue he slaughtered everyone. Last time I saw him was on Loxley fishery, only small pond, he was hammering the roach and chub with his bubble.

mikench

Reaction score

This was it Gary and you were bemused in 2018 when I first posted about it.

rayner

Reaction score
I remember it now Mike, it may be called a puller float, the chap who designed them had a different idea. It's certainly now what we used in the 90s
The float was a traditional stick float that was rigged as I said.