Cheap groundbait, How?

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
In the summer I became um intersted (Note avoidenceof hooked pun) in carp fishing after getting a 10lber on my first attempt at the local over stocked carp lake. However I want to try some bigger lakes and want to know what groundbait I can use as I can't afford to bail in tonnes of boiles. I realise this applies more to summer but putting out say 10 Boilies at time. I've used partiblend before but only a small freezer bag full in a small lake, more of a medium sized pond really. Is it expensive to buy in bulk. What about groats. I've heard of them but what re they adn are they relativly cheap.

Cheers

Jonathan Faro

A

andrew jackson

Hi Jonathan
Welcome to the wonderfull word of carp fishing. Well done upon catching your first double. Lets hope you catch many more like it, and bigger. Groats are a very cheap and easy to prepare particle.
Unfortunatly I cannot tell you what they are, but I think they maybe related to Oats as I have seen them refered to as Oat groats. Perhaps sombody else will be able to tell us. You mentioned partiblend I don't think it is to expensive, but not as cheap as groats. Why not send off to Hinders of Swindon for a price list. Failing that try looking at one of the pet superstores. Pigeon food sold at less than ten pounds for a twenty five kilo sack, is a good cheap alternative to partiblend. Please seek advice upon how to prepare these particles if you don't allready know.

N

Neil Wayte

The Pigeon food your looking for is called Red Band Pigeon Conditioner well worth using.Another cheap ground bait you could use is Vitalin Dog food.Costs about ?11 for a twenty kilo sack.Mix with water untill you get a good stiff mixture.You can add hemp to it which will help.Any more infor please feel free to ask.

C

Carp Angler

Red Band is about ?15 delivered for a 25kg sack from <a href=http://www.haithsbirdseeds.co.uk>Haiths</a>.
Lovely aniseed smell...yummy.

Put some in a bucket and pour boiling water over it, leave to cool, chuck in lake. (easy innit?)

Mix this and vitalin and you'll get a top class groundbait that you can either mix sloppy or method stiff.

Any more questions then just fire away.

M

mike smith

I have had some stuff mail order from www.manor-farm-granaries.co.uk
I don't know the prices compare, but there are no delivery charges and it arrives within about 3 days.
I got Hemp and wheat and would be interested in opinions on preparing wheat.

Mike.

C

Carp Angler

Their condition seed is ?33.50 for 25kg....wow.
Haiths (theirs is the original) is ?15.60 delivered for 25kg.
High energy from Manor is ?33 and ?27 from Haiths...although I wouldn't buy hemp or pellets from either as they are about 3 times dearer than my local suppliers.
The wheat isn't too expensive but its a very cheap seed anyway.
Prepare it the same way as the hemp, e.g. soak for 24hours and then boil and simmer for 30 minutes, it takes both colour and flavour well at the soaking stage and is a top class summer bait that isn't over-used by many people.

M

Malcolm Bason

Doesn't anyone use good, old-fashioned breadcrumbs as a base for their groundbait anymore? I do! Mix it with the likes of x-seed and Ron Hutchinsons Monster crab mix and bang! Mix anything else with it that you plan to use as hook bait and thats it!

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
Cheers everyone for the advice. I'll have to take a wander down to my local pet shop which has the bonus of a very fit cashier. Unfortunatly I can't go carping regulary till April as the clubs all seem to run from April the first till March 31st. Even thoguh I was told last year they run from the start of the yera i.e Jan - Dec.

Are there any risks with the groundbaits as can't particles harm the fish if you don't prepare them properly?

Jon

C

Carp Angler

Jon wrote
"Are there any risks with the groundbaits as can't particles harm the fish if you don't prepare them properly?"

Exactly, if you have any questions about preparation then please ask.
Most particles need a soak to re-hydrate them (so they swell up) and a boil to de-nurture them (so they don't grow).

I'll be doing an extensive particle article about March time, so anything you want covering either post here or mail me.

J

Jon Moores

Jonathan

For a cheap bulk ingredient in carp groundbait try Cooked Cereal Meal available from feed merchants (BTW get some liquid molasses while you're there). If you have a look at some of the Canary & Budgie mixes you might find some similar to partiblend.

A

andrew jackson

Carp angler
Looking forward to the article although, I am myself, quite experienced with there use. It is fairly obvious that some people who visit Fishing magic have little knowlage on this subject. You can therefore confidently predict that your article will be both helpful and informative to many. Whilst covering the subject of preperation, I would appreciate it very much if you could point out the dangers of peanuts (especially non human grade). Fair enough it's a bit of an old chestnut, but I do believe it is all worth repeating.

C

Carp Angler

Old chestnut isn't the word for it.
Anti-floxin, which was the mould that caused a couple of human deaths hasn't be present in any peanut for sale for about 10 years.
It is illegal to import nuts with anti-floxin into this country, be they animal feed or otherwise.
The main dangers of peanuts for carp, as with any bait that doesn't contain a whole and nutritious profile, is that the carps pre-occupation with the bait, when it is used in excessive quantities, means that they don't get a balanced diet and thus their health deteriorates.

My article will cover the excessive use of all particles, rest assured the welfare and future of the fish is of paramount importance to me.

M

margot twine

I posted a thread on this some time ago , i had great success this year with pond sticks .Wiz in a blender add crumb , hemp and strawberry angel delight powder or spice powder in fact any or all of these works wonders for carp.I only started this year my best using above was 18 carp in 4 hours from 6 to 15lbs

J

Jonathan Faro

Starnge but true. I've used them before but onlyon a little bagging pool. Results weren't spectaculer

Jon

C

chris smedley

groats are good bait to use all i do when preper them is put the amount to be used in a buket and just put boiling water on them and leave over nigth then ad condensd milk to them you can get a12 killo sack for about ?12.50