Cheese Paste Storage/aging

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Thinking ahead for the winter, I've made some cheese paste.
Very happy with the finished product, now broken down into tennis ball size lumps.
How should I now keep this? Will it be ok to leave in the garage to age it?
Or should I be freezing it?
Thanks in advance

@Clive

Reaction score
Both work. I prefer to keep mine in the freezer abd take it out the night before I go fishing. If you leave it at ambient temperature it will stink awful, but still work OK.

Blue Fisher

Reaction score
When we first used boilies on the river we were very secretive about it, so much so we hid them and one of the group kept cheese in his bag so he could use the same size lump if anyone came along. A stranger had a good long chat with him so eventually he struck off the bait and rebaited with cheese while he was there. It had been in the bag some time! I think he found it difficult to casually rebait, he did not want to touch it really.

The bad one

Reaction score
I find crust far superior to cheese paste. But if you want cheese on it, there's plenty of strong cheese spreads around these days, take a tube with you and butter it on. In cold water it's unlikely to wash off as it goes hard in cold water.
Providing the spread and bread is fresh, and at £1 30 a tube it ain't going to break the bank, you can enjoy it as well if the fish are not playing.
PS you can do the same with Marmite and those Yest extracts.

@Clive

Reaction score
Many years ago I knew a father and his step son who fished the Wharfe near to Boston Spa for barbel. The bait they used was gorgenzola that they kept in a wooden box with a sliding lid, a domino box for those old enough to remember, in their garage. It stank to high heaven, but it caught many barbel from a chute leading to a pool where a paper mill extracted water. When the bait got low they simply added more and mixed it into the old stuff.

My current cheese paste is made using parmizan and ground wheatgerm flavoured with Marmite. It is a variation on a John Wilson recipe. I have two on the go, one very soft for cold waters and one a bit thicker for this time of year.

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to keep my Cheese/bread paste mixed with ‘raw onion juice’ in the freezer for years; and add to it as and when it was required.
When it had been in and out of the freezer a few times it started to feel cold to the touch even on a baking hot day; which I assumed was when the amino acids in it started to break down, and when it was like that it became a brilliant winter bait for Chub and Roach and the occasional Barbel.

Keith

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Many years ago I knew a father and his step son who fished the Wharfe near to Boston Spa for barbel. The bait they used was gorgenzola that they kept in a wooden box with a sliding lid, a domino box for those old enough to remember, in their garage. It stank to high heaven, but it caught many barbel from a chute leading to a pool where a paper mill extracted water. When the bait got low they simply added more and mixed it into the old stuff.

My current cheese paste is made using parmizan and ground wheatgerm flavoured with Marmite. It is a variation on a John Wilson recipe. I have two on the go, one very soft for cold waters and one a bit thicker for this time of year.
What was the John Wilson recipe please?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’ve got some in my bait fridge that’s been maturing/festering for about eighteen months. It’s started to soften and I need to stiffen it up a bit. I’m getting rather worried as it may have evolved into a novel type of life and be trying to take over the world like an alien life form in a new Quatermass series.

I really shouldn’t post when I’ve just returned from the boozer.

John Aston

Reaction score
Danish blue, breadcrumbs, turmeric, Nam Pla (fish sauce ) , some sunflower oil and a little flour. Mix it up well, knead it hard , and serve on a pad of of crust on a size 4 . Always gets five star ***** reviews on Trustpilot from the Chub family.

@Clive

Reaction score
What was the John Wilson recipe please?

Sorry, I am on holiday and haven't got the details with me. From memory he used wheatgerm which is high in B vitamins and Parmezan cheese that has a higher protein content than other cheeses. Can't remember the quantities though. He coloured it with food dye. I just added Marmite which both colours and flavours it. It is different to most pastes as it has bits of grain in it.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Sorry, I am on holiday and haven't got the details with me. From memory he used wheatgerm which is high in B vitamins and Parmezan cheese that has a higher protein content than other cheeses. Can't remember the quantities though. He coloured it with food dye. I just added Marmite which both colours and flavours it. It is different to most pastes as it has bits of grain in it.
Thanks, I've tried to find it on the net but very little comes up.