Christmas Quiz - More Fish than You Think?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Andy Scholey has concealed the names of 24 species of fish in the text. Can you find them all? The first fish on the first line is highlighted to give you an example. No prizes, it's just for fun.

Chris and Eric pulled into the car park adjacent to the large lake they had come to fish.

A day earlier they had travelled a hundred miles to reach this venue, and then spent the night in a Travelodge, they’d played poker in the evening. Charlie had been amazed when Eric had produced that red Ace of Hearts on the last hand to beat his three Kings. To soften Chris’s mood they’d had a few drinks, mainly beers but Chris had also had a gin and tonic. Odd then, that they didn’t have a hangover of any description the next day.

They chose a pleasant swim near the Church and erected their two-man bivvie in readiness for a three day session. Closing the zipper Chris said:

“Let’s set the rods up.” A few minutes later they were fishing. They had the radio on quietly, Chris liked jazz and Eric preferred heavy metal so there had to be give and take on both sides. At ten o’clock the church bells started ringing, Eric said:

“I used to go to Church, I always liked to hear a Psalm on Sunday, it gave me a lift.” Chris said he always liked to have a lie in on Sunday, except when he was going fishing.

At lunchtime they had sandwiches with cheese and ham in. Now the pubs were open they decided to have a quick beer at the Angel Inn next to the church. However, it was full and they were waiting ages. Eric muscled his way to the bar belligerently, looking to complain but the barmaid offered such promise of pneumatic bliss that his temper rapidly disappeared. After the beer the two of them returned to the fishing with renewed energy. “Chris was the first to catch; a nice fish of about eight pounds; much bigger than the tiddler the cat fishing in the margins had pawed out nearby.”

“One up for the maestro” uttered Eric “We need a few more of that calibre.” A minute later his bite alarm went off and he netted a similar looking fish.

That was it for the first day. In the evening they played cards and once again Chris thought his hand was invincible. A knave of diamonds from Eric completed an unlikely full house; they finished their crisp ration for the day and went to sleep. The next morning there was a new car in the park, an Imprezza Turbo. The driver had already set up in the next swim thirty yards to their left.

“It was a bit quiet yesterday” he told him. “We only had a couple” The new angler told him he’d had a big double here a week ago. He introduced himself as Pete and said he’d be here for a couple of days. The fishing was slow but every now and then one of them would get a bite, so it remained interesting. That evening Chris and Eric went to Pete’s swim and cracked a few beers open. They told him about the barmaid in The Angel, but he said he’d seen her and thought she was a bit chubby! A few hours later, feeling a bit gruff, Eric and Charlie went to sleep hoping for a good day’s fishing the next day.

Chris’s bite alarm went off at 6.30 the next morning. Turning out of his sleeping bag; unzipping the bivvie; tripping up over one of the guy rope spikes; he reached his rod and struck into a good fish. By the time Pete arrived Eric was preparing to land it; the biggest yet, possibly a twenty.

“Brilliant, Chris!” said Pete, “Let’s get the scales.” The dial spun round to register 21lb.

“That’s a personal best for me!” said Chris excitedly and the moment was sealed with a firm handshake from Eric and Pete. Nothing topped that for the rest of the day, a few bites and another smaller fish each; it was time to pack up. Pete wrote down his email address for Eric with a Biro; a ‘cheerio’ between the three of them and the fishing break was at an end.

Andy Scholey© Dec 2009

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

I started to go cross eyed after a while, i think i am 1 or 2 short, but i can't see the wood for staring at the Trees.

I have re done my original version, so as not to spoil it for the Big Baby :p

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Forgive me, for being competitive, and not as dumb as some first thought :wh :D

You know, that really did make me Laugh out Loud, i just couldn't help it, i could see all your sad faces staring at me, with the fat bottom lip sticking out. :D

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Before seeing Stealph's answers I'd managed 25 (not including muscle!).

Is anyone up for testing their knowledge on a Professor Bumblebee Quiz? just need to get it sorted first.

Skoda

Reaction score
Have I missed something? Did Stealph do it and post the solution? Anyway, I hope it provides some distraction from the Christmas festivities.

I was desperate to get gudgeon in but couldn't think of a suitable combination.

Compliments of the Season:)

Andy

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
How did you manage 25 when there are only 24 to find ??

Yes, i did do it Skoda, but, i guess in my haste i forgot to allow others to participate, and i may have acted a little over zealous.

I have corrected my earlier indiscretion, to allow others to also enjoy the festive fun, Mark has even managed to find more than what the Author posted.

Now you don't get much better than that, for free.

flyingstudent

Reaction score
Ok I must have far too much time to waste, as I decided to join the forum just to post on this quiz:).

I also found 25 but only if I include ‘comet’ (variety of goldfish) as a species;). And if I want to be really pedantic then some of the ones I found are ‘families’ and not ‘species’. I hang my head in shame, I think I’ve reached the lowest point in my online life:(.
Have to admit there are a couple of unusual fish in the list, some would be very hard to find if you didn’t know your Salty or European fish.

flyingstudent

Reaction score
Thanks Paul, nice to be amongst other fish fanatics. I'm an expat living in Brisbane, don't think I've met the rellies just yet:).
BTW thanks Andy for making the quiz, certainly achieved it's goal with me. Thank goodness xmas is over for another year:w.

Skoda

Reaction score
Thanks Bagless, I wrote the quiz piece for a bit of fun. I'm glad people enjoyed it. Lucky you, living in Brisbane, I visited there the last time England played in the Ashes. Fantastic place, great food, great weather.:eek:

Andy

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Have I missed something? Did Stealph do it and post the solution? Anyway, I hope it provides some distraction from the Christmas festivities.

I was desperate to get gudgeon in but couldn't think of a suitable combination.

Compliments of the Season:)

Andy

Andy

Ide [sorry] have just put gudgeon...Stealph might have missed that !

Christmas is over Bagless ? Try telling my kids that !

Skippy

10-9-8-7....

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tried it but suffered complete brain failure after about 15, so had to go and have an alcohol top up, I was even worse after that so gave up defeated!!!!
:w:w:w:w:

Cheers,
I am just going outside(for some real ale) and may be some time ......:w:w:w:w:w:w