Chub rod suggestions.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
For me it would be difficult to come up with a rod for chub fishing, because depending on venue, bait and method used, on the Thames in winter I would use a 1.25lb solid tipped rod, but if I were fishing the same venue with a tiny cage feeder and liquidised bread I would use a medium feeder rod with as light a quivertip as is possible, the latter would be my rod of choice for much of my chubbing, but if you are boilie fishing it would fit the bill at all...

Keith M

Reaction score
I have several different rods that I use for Chub depending on the venue and the method I’m using.

For float fishing I’ll use my 13ft MKIV Drennan Tench Float rod or my 15ft Hardy Marksman Specimen Float rod - which I sometimes use for trotting in slightly wider and slightly deeper rivers.

I have several different Drennan and Greys bottom rods of 11ft and 12ft which all have test curves of 1.25lb which I find great for Chub; plus a couple of the old original 11ft 1.25lb JW Avon quiver rods; one of which I will occasionally use if I’m fishing from a very tight swim with lots of overhanging branches and I don’t want to chance damaging one of my other rods; as these rods are quite robust and can take a lot of abuse.

If I’m likely to be catching Barbel as well as Chub then I’ll step up a bit and use one of my Barbel rods instead.

Keith

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Keith I love my 11ft 1.25lb JW Avon for fishing the Dane (a small tree lined river) for Chub. Rarely use the quiver tip section as my chub fishing is either bread of all kinds or paste bait fishing. No tap, tap, tap with this type of fishing, the Avon top rips round and the rod's off the rest if you're not careful .

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Back in the mid 90s I decided I wanted a feeder rod for fishing the method feeder. My local shop had an ABU Garcia Titan 11ft feeder rod, only one tip (?). It was too soft for the method but has proved a fantastic chub rod that has landed plety of barbel as well, and good for mainlines to 10lb (usually use 8lb).

chevin4

Reaction score
For most of my chub fishing I use an 11ft 6inch 1.2tc Harrison Explorer I had an extra tip made to take "plug-in" quiver tips. The standard tip section is very forgiving and tend to use this for bigger baits lobs etc. Sadly this rod has been discontinued. Ten or so years ago when I fished a famous weir on the Lea I used a Drennan 12ft 10inch DRX Medium feeder the extra length was useful in fishing the far bank and due to the heavy flow it was necessary to keep the rod tip high to keep the line of the water. I believe this rod replaced the original Drennan IM6 Med Feeder but may be wrong.

John Aston

Reaction score
I've chub fished since the 70s and the recipe is always a pound and a quarter TC (or pound and half for longer range ) 11 or 12 ft . I had a long flirtation with 12 ft rods but now am back to 11 ft most of the time. After lots of different brands it's a Drennan full house now. The 11ft Avon Duo - perfect all round rod, 12 ft 1.5 Avon and my lovely 11ft F Acolyte Feeder , which has turned out to be the nicest chub rod I've ever used .

And no , it hasn't broken yet, nor do I expect it to .

But rods don't catch chub , choice of location and conditions do. Anything that has some backbone and can cast from 2 swan to an ounce will do really. The rest is mainly aesthetics -and there 's nowt wrong with that

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Ten or so years ago when I fished a famous weir on the Lea I used a Drennan 12ft 10inch DRX Medium feeder the extra length was useful in fishing the far bank and due to the heavy flow it was necessary to keep the rod tip high to keep the line of the water. I believe this rod replaced the original Drennan IM6 Med Feeder but may be wrong.
It didn't (it was 12'10" River Feeder) as there were IM8 Feeder rods post IM6 (Light, Medium, Big) and before DRX (River & Stillwater).

chevin4

Reaction score
Thanks for jogging my memory I had forgotten about the IM8 Feeder rods. Having checked my rod it is the 12ft 10inch DRX River Feeder.

Philip

Reaction score
Another nod for the JW avon quiver as just a good all round rod for Chub. Yes there will be "better" rods about nowadays but you can stick the JW in a bramble bush and not worry about it snapping, its bullet proof. Plus I like the low set rings, I dont know why so many modern rods have flimsy standoff rings that just get in the way and are begging to get bent.

I am also increasingly sold on 11 foot for roving about. I think even 12 can be 1 foot too much.

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks for jogging my memory I had forgotten about the IM8 Feeder rods. Having checked my rod it is the 12ft 10inch DRX River Feeder.
I also have the Drennan 12ft 10inch DRX River Feeder with 4 glass quivers.

It won me several team matches on the Thames fishing with a downstream bow in my line and caught some good Chub on it.
I haven’t used it for years now but I might give it a go again for Chub this season; on the medium and larger rivers.

I forgot about this rod as I’ve been concentrating on small rivers and streams over the last few years and have rarely used a feeder for Chub nowadays.

Keith

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
I also have the Drennan 12ft 10inch DRX River Feeder with 4 glass quivers.

It won me several team matches on the Thames fishing with a downstream bow in my line and caught some good Chub on it.
I haven’t used it for years now but I might give it a go again for Chub this season; on the medium and larger rivers.

I forgot about this rod as I’ve been concentrating on small rivers and streams over the last few years and have rarely used a feeder for Chub nowadays.

Keith
It's a lovely rod that I am reluctant to sell on. I caught my pb chub of 7lb 13oz on it back in 2013