''Claiming credit''

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Really interesting thread this. It's quite fascinating how, when the world attaches a "name" to the invention of a particular idea / development / invention, it's really most interesting how many of those things had other people working on them, who, obviously had the same idea. Sometimes, the "inventor" was aware of this coincidence and, on occasions, even used aspects of the other work to further his own efforts.

This being the case with Marconi who was given a massive head start by the work of Nikola Tesla.

On other occasions, the knowledge that the competition was there and trying to solve the same problem was enough to spur the "winner" to finishing first. For example, Alexander Graham Bell knew Philip Rice was right behind him and that he had to go full pelt to invent the telephone. History tells us we all know Bell but Rice? No silver medals in that race, I guess.

Not much, if anything at all, is new under the sun...:)

And now, an enjoyable bit of theory - not something I have much, if any, evidence for but the men of my Dad's generation have me believe this would have happened.

I would totally agree with Flight's assertion that inventive anglers developed items to solve particular problems. I believe that when engineering was the backbone of British industry, especially in such areas as South Yorkshire and the East and West Midlands, men with inventive minds and a determination not to be beaten by a particular situation and / or problem would use equipment and materials (and a little time!!) at work to fashion an idea, a design, to improve on existing ones.

Possibly these folks were not in a position to take it any further or just didn't want to but I suspect a great many commonplace angling items started out this way, a number of centre pin reels being a prime example.

Anyway, great thread. Thanks a million :)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Interesting to note that when those old Trentsiders, the likes of George Holland and William Bailey migrated down South they created somewhat of a stir amongst the pole anglers of the Thames, gaining much respect with their ''Running lines'' and casting ability. None less than RB Marston, noting this in early issues of the ''Fishing Gazette''. This would qualify, at least to me, one example of credit where credit is due. That's to say nothing of the exploits of one FWK Wallis on the river Avon, though that was some time later.

laguna

Reaction score
Some do lay claim to have 'invented' certain things, and this is true in so far as the idea was original to them at the time.
However unless patents, trademarks and design rights are involved, usually for the purpose of IP protection and monetization; thoughts and ideas are not exclusive to just the original thinker. I believe everyone is an inventor of sorts, its just a matter of being original or the 'first' to publicise their findings. But it doesn't exclude others having the same or similar idea at some point in their lives... the benefit of ignorance not having read or being influenced by others.

Anyone can invent, originality comes from within.

Don't be discouraged.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I found it amusing when carp anglers had the spod, they thought it was something new.

I remember seeing anglers on the Trent. late 70's early 80's, with a Beach Caster, and a fairy liquid bottle, top and bottom cut off.

They loaded it with ground bait and maggot's, cast out several times, then started fishing. They would repeat this several times during the session.