Clattercote, the last FM Fish-In

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Or was it....?????
Part of the appeal of FM used to be its social events known as the Fish-Ins. Whilst we anglers can sometimes be a solitary lot, and a fair few spend their non-angling time ‘hiding’ behind their keyboards, there was always a ‘Fish-In’ coming to a venue near you if you wanted to a chance to see the faces (or avatars) behind the names (or nicknames).

Normally quite well-supported, there would be several events every year. Some were established, annual events, others more ad-hoc arrangements, but always these gatherings engendered the camaraderie of ‘belonging’ to the FM family.

But last weekend’s Clattercote Fish-In was a disappointment, not in the organisation by Nigel, but only on the FM camaraderie front. Although this event has attracted upwards of 40 anglers in the past, 30ish is the more regular number, and given the current financial situation that most people find themselves in these days, the fact that 20 turned up should be seen as a result of sorts. But not really a result for FM, in that only 3 of that number were committed, FM only members.

And this is not the only Fish-In that has suffered in the past year or so..........

No sign of the annual Press Manor fly fishing event this year - That’s strange given FM’s ‘Fish & Fly’ connections, you would have thought something like this would be an ideal opportunity to meet some of the members.

The Wensum in June – No takers yet

Idle Fish-in - Postponed last year, not rebooked yet

Grayling Fish-In. Some success, 5 turned up

Britford Fish-In. Postponed, not re-booked yet

Catfish Fish-In. Don’t think one is planned for this year

Aces v Chavs. Postponed, not sure if it’s still going ahead

James Farrow Memorial/FM Charity Fish-In. No sign of this continuing, and that is a real travesty

Blenheim. Probably the best attended annual event after Clattercote, but still with spare spaces

Then there was the GM ‘retirement’ bash, which of course was a one-off event, but probably the best attended FM ‘do’ ever, for obvious reasons.

And the point to all this? Well, are these ‘FM’ events or not? If they are (were) then should the members not expect some form of sponsorship by FM? And by that I don’t mean new rods and reels for everyone who turns up, nor Full English Breakfasts, Fish Suppers and a Free Bar for all the contestants. (Although a little trick with two loaves and five fish would certainly pull the punters in....)

The vast majority of the anglers who used to attend these events would happily fish for a 1st prize of a chrome-plated bobbin, and share a bottle of Vimto and a bag of Pork Scratchings to celebrate at the end. Just being at the event is/was the most important part of attending.

If the recent Clattercote match was an official FM event, why was no one ‘nominated’ to do a write up? Why was no one ‘nominated’ to take pictures before, during and after the match. People arriving, the breakfast (fabulous, by the way) the anticipation and ribbing at the draw. Snapshots of anglers during the match, the mounting excitement of the weigh-in and course the presentation at the end. With all those pictures, the story of the day almost writes itself. Without them...........well you won’t get much of an idea of what happened, if anything.

I don’t want to rake over the past, but if any of the events are going to go forward under the FM banner then it’s the personal appearance ‘touchy-feely’ presence by FM that’s needed to pull the punters in. Make them feel part of the FM family and the attendance numbers will rise again because members will want to be there because they will feel that they are wanted there.

Now, it might just be me, but it appears the dearth of attendance at the Fish-Ins seems to coincide with a substantial number of long term members drifting away. So the real question is does FM still want to run Fish-Ins under their banner, if so are they going to offer enough support (and that’s more in the way of moral support than financial) to make these events attractive to members old and new. You never know, some of those who have drifted away might even be tempted to come back.

If not, then perhaps listing these events as FM Fish-Ins might be construed as misleading advertising.......

Bluenose

Reaction score
Several valid points there Kevin. There was a ribble fish-in that used to be organised by John Conway that's gone by the wayside too and a gig organised by Comrade Swords on the Trent too!

It's a shame that much of the 'community' aspect of the site seems to have largely dissipated.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Blenheim. Probably the best attended annual event after Clattercote, but still with spare spaces
Wasn't an FM event, it was something Ray started and may well continue, but the guests attended at his invitation because of space in the boats.

(Although a little trick with two loaves and five fish would certainly pull the punters in....)
I gave up doing those tricks since the last lot chased me up a bl00dy hill and then asked for a pre-dinner speach.

why was no one ‘nominated’ to do a write up? Why was no one ‘nominated’ to take pictures before, during and after the match.
No one was ever 'nominated'. For several years, well one or two, I did it, but then I couldn't concentrate on fishing to catch anything let alone win. And anyway, last time I walked the line I got heavily criticised by one 'previous' member for not speaking to him, like I had all day to do nothing else when I'd paid my £6 then to enter just like he had.

It another case of anybody could, somebody should, everybody wanted it, but nobody did it. Did you have a camera?

it appears the dearth of attendance at the Fish-Ins seems to coincide with a substantial number of long term members drifting away.
Ah, it took its time arriving.

With this event, as with any event, it needs a bit of pull beforehand with a fair bit of banter on the thread. These 'drifting' members, as you call them were very much absent on that thread, even you yourself only contributed the post that signified your wish to attend whereas normally you would have put in a dozen posts in previous years. Perhaps the reason you gained that impression Kevin is that you don't communicate enough with the present round of posters on here. Do that more often and you might have had a different opinion. Who knows.

Maybe even one of your articles???

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Here, here. I use to be able to make the Press manor (well most times) but work is deffinately in the way now and Ron was on his antipedian swaray last month. Plus last year there was a lack of eating/drinking establishment (well the one we used was not over impressive as the Three Horse Shoes had closed).
Nice to see a post from you Kevin and I've still got that damm "Tickle Tackle" sticker on my back windscreen.:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Kevin

I know what you mean. I hope you're not right but being one of the idiots that have "organised" a fish in myself it is a colossal pain in the a**e albeit [in the end] thoroughly enjoyable and quite rewarding in its own way. I would have happily done a write up of Clattercote but frankly it didn't occur to me to do so or to offer because it wasn't "my" event. I assumed someone else was doing it.

I think you right in that the loss of some long termers has affected things. Without naming names [we know who they are] these were people who you could virtually rely on turning up. I still think there are enough left to make these Fish-Ins viable BUT cost is an increasingly big consideration.

Its also quite daunting going to your first. I didn't know anybody on my first and still only know a few and of that few even fewer terribly well. I still dont quite know how to behave as I'm still a relatively "new" face.

Maybe what's needed is a bit more of a structure and some administrative support rather than let one poor soul be saddled with all of it. This is where FM might be able to offer some help if only in making sure all angles [like publicity,photo's,write ups etc ]are covered. Maybe even underwriting the cost in certain circumstances or putting a prize up ? I ended up out of pocket at Blenheim last year...I didn't mind but then again I did.

Maybe less is more too ? Fewer but better ? Just a thought.

Skippy

And does it matter who organises it ? If its "advertised" on FM then its an FM Fish In surely ? I dont regard Blenheim last year as a Skippy Fish In just because I booked the venue,collected the money, bought the prizes and [with Ray's help] made it happen ! At its most basic level its just someone saying "lets all meet up & fish here,who wants to go ?". I really dont see it as anything more than that. If its a good gig people will come.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well i am sure it'smore to do with the price of petrol, many members have said they will fish local waters more.

The fiest Blenhiem wasnt an FM fish in, just invite as we didnt know how many boats we could get, it was a sell out.

Last year Skippy wanted to do it, 2 anglers short in the end i think, but when booking Blenhiem there is a problem, you have to pay up front when booking a date, and NO refunds.

Now when your laying out almost £600 and then hoping members can make the date you have booked, how many would do that ?? remember you cant change the date, and who will do it this year ??

Aces Vs Chavs was due to low water level, and as far as i know will go ahead this year, i think most have paid for it.

The Grayling fish in was a weekday not many can make that, just as some cant make the weekend fish ins. The weekend Grayling fish in was a sell out.

Fm fish ins will carry on, and those at Clattercote were FM members, but some respect to FM would have been nice, rather than wearing another fishing site gear, i know a few who would have been crying like babies had it been round the other way.

Windy

Reaction score
Catfish Fish-In. Don’t think one is planned for this year

Funny you should mention it, I just spoke to Jeff today about organising a Catfish fish-in this year.

The catfish fish-in didn't proceed last year simply because the Marsbar extravaganza was scheduled for what would have been the Catfish weekend slot in the diary. The Marsbar bash plainly took precedence. I hope there is sufficient interest for it to go ahead this year again, as it has done for the five or six years previous. Not least because I still haven't broken my Catfish Duck !

James Farrow Memorial/FM Charity Fish-In. No sign of this continuing, and that is a real travesty

It is a matter for Richard Farrow whether the James Farrow fish in does or does not continue. Equally, if it continues, whether it is as an FM event or not. If an independent event whether FM'ers are or are not welcome.

In that context I sent Richard a private message at the beginning of April asking exactly those questions, as I have substantial personal reasons to want to continue to support the cause. Not just the fact that I have diabetes myself but more particularly I lost my mother to the disease in March. Richard has not as yet replied.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by calling that a "real travesty". It's up to Richard.

I think it is sad if he has decided not to involve those of us who are members of FM because of past events but it is, as I observe, entirely up to him.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Just looked at last year's Clattercote match and there was only 16 attended then so we were 25% up on that this year.

You're absolutely right Ray. Who wants to put £600 on the line. Even £7 a head for Clattercote is taking a risk, but fortunately, they don't need to know final figures until a couple of days beforehand.

Marsh Farm looks a good bet though. Went last year with Grizzly Maynard and we might just get the big boss along to that one, if it comes off.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Some of Ray's and Skippy's comments are dead right. I've organised a few and every one has cost me money. There are very few people around willing and able to organise any sort of event. Days like Blenheim and Clattercote take guts to sort out and follow through.

However, although the postponed Aces vs Chavs was down to low water levels at Clattercote, it was like drawing teeth to get anyone to respond whether they were aligned to FM or any other site. I'm holding 8 lots of money (in a non interest bearing a/c!) ready for a re-run. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for the avalanche of entries.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well i dont mind doing the Marsh farm fish in.

I took a massive hit last year when a company I contract to went bust, so did I almost, but if the funds are there, I will book Blenhiem, but the family comes first. Before booking I will get numbers.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Well i dont mind doing the Marsh farm fish in.

I took a massive hit last year when a company I contract to went bust, so did I almost, but if the funds are there, I will book Blenhiem, but the family comes first. Before booking I will get numbers.
Put me down Clarke, lets know some dates though, for Blenheim, Marsh to far for me:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ray,

I think you will find that the Clattercote event was advertised on both sites so it was considered as an open event. Accordingly I think people should be allowed to wear what the hell they like to an 'open' event.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Fm fish ins will carry on, and those at Clattercote were FM members, but some respect to FM would have been nice, rather than wearing another fishing site gear, i know a few who would have been crying like babies had it been round the other way.

I was there and I saw a few with 'another fishing site' gear, I also saw a few with FM gear, including myself, as always, wearing an FM cap, and there were a few with just plain unmarked or tackle company gear. What would you have worn if you'd been there, only I've never seen you in any FM gear at any of the fish-ins? I think somebody must be winding you up.:rolleyes:

S

Scott Whatmore

Ray, I was wearing a polo shirt, a fleece hoody and a cap from another fishing site.

This is my normal fishing attire now and I wear them when fishing anywhere at all. Why? Because I can, and will, despite what anyone may try to persuade of others, it is not showing disrespect to anyone at all.

I also have 2 stickers for this other fishing site. One on my landing net handle and one on the back of my seatbox. The one on my seatbox is symetrically between the 2 (yes two) fishing magic stickers that I have.

Of course if the organisers of any fish-in I support by my attendance has any objections to my attire, can they please let me know in advance and I won't attend.

Reaction score
Good grief...as any of you with any sense of decorum realise its just good manners...

Goodness whenever I fish a Bay Malton water I remove my Prince Albert Car park sticker and vice-versa....................................................

For ****'s sake what does it matter......

I wore an M&S uniform polo shirt at the Marsbar Fish-iN last year as well as the FM cap.......should I have worn a Waitrose one or perhaps an Aldi one....god I must have upset somebody!!

Perhaps those who organise events in future would be good enough to state the dress code.....I assume Marsh Farm will be morning suit and tails.

:eek:mg: I despair

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I was there and I saw a few with 'another fishing site' gear, I also saw a few with FM gear, including myself, as always, wearing an FM cap, and there were a few with just plain unmarked or tackle company gear. What would you have worn if you'd been there, only I've never seen you in any FM gear at any of the fish-ins? I think somebody must be winding you up.:rolleyes:

As you state yourself, there were others wearing gear from another site, and i know it's not a wind up. I wear a black FM cap at FM fish in's that you gave me.

Peter,

If it was on another site I didn't know, and it's about respect, It's like you having a Gooners day and half the people turn up in a Spurs shirt.