Closed Faced Reels

chevin4

Reaction score
I wanted to buy a quality closed faced reel years ago but many were not ambidextrous thus making them unsuitable for this left handed angler.

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Food for thought indeed. I may shelve this idea for the time being as I'm enjoying using my pins so much at the moment particularly my little Speedia. Found a great peg last week catching kipper dace all session. Great reel but struth just a twenty yard retrieval takes forever and a day. Could you use my Youngs BJ for a quicker retrieve but the Speedia is so charming and balances my 13' Accy Ultra perfectly.

bracket

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Food for thought indeed. I may shelve this idea for the time being as I'm enjoying using my pins so much at the moment particularly my little Speedia. Found a great peg last week catching kipper dace all session. Great reel but struth just a twenty yard retrieval takes forever and a day. Could you use my Youngs BJ for a quicker retrieve but the Speedia is so charming and balances my 13' Accy Ultra perfectly.
Don't want to state the obvious, but you are "batting the reel" to retrieve. Pete

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Some people make or buy either a cork arbour or one 3D printed to make the spool diameter larger. This also has the advantage of making the spool round rather than a series of flats which can kink the line. I would add that it isn’t something I have personally done. I have a Speedia but haven’t used it for donkey’s years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Im afraid that is the downside of pins,some anglers get over it pretty well,Tigger didnt bat his reel,opting to spin the handle and follow with the tip of the rod to reduce the friction slowing the reel down,it is very quick,but obviously takes a fair bit of practice,as all aspects of pin fishing does...

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
I've used one of the 3d printed arbours but using fine line it sometimes goes down the edge so I have taken this off.

Cheers Whitty, The reel spin and following the tip is the method I use with the Speedia with my Youngs BJ because I have the line off the top I can quickly reel in with a finger in the spokes.

bracket

Reaction score
I've used one of the 3d printed arbours but using fine line it sometimes goes down the edge so I have taken this off.
This may not be of any use to you, except for morbid interest sake. Certainly not for the centre pin purists. In 1957 I bought a Speedia reel with my first weeks wages as an apprentice engineer, plus a "loan" from my Mother. It cost me 54 shillings. The first thing I did was to remove the handles, to make batting in more tangle free.
IMG_20211009_121849.jpg

I then added an additional row of line carrying pins, around the edge of the drum. This increased the effective diameter from 21/2 inch to 3 3/8 inch, so speeding up the retrieve

IMG_20211009_122001.jpg

The extra pins I made from 4BA screws covered with plastic sleeving.

IMG_20211009_122018.jpg

It looks like junk, but still works like a dream. I use it occasionally, when I am in a reminiscent frame of mind and no ones about. Pete.

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
Is that the Trent bracket? CIPS rules match (plastic container for the fish) ...so I’m guessing the friendly international vs France at Holme Marsh?

sevilla315

Reaction score
As a youth I had a closed face reel which I loved. It was sent to me by my brother in Canada in the 70's who was a bass fisherman. It was a Daiwa I think, I bought a solid fibreglass short 6' baitcaster type rod with an offset handle for it, which was a perfect match. This particular one was meant to be fished on top of the rod like a baitcaster, reeled with the left hand and cast with the right.
I used it for Australian estuary and small beach fish and it was great. As stated, it had problems with line bedding in as it didn't have a line lay system, drag was a bit patchy and it was prone to line twist, but I loved it.

bracket

Reaction score
Is that the Trent bracket? CIPS rules match (plastic container for the fish) ...so I’m guessing the friendly international vs France at Holme Marsh?
Silvers. Mark's got it right. The other guy is Stan Smith, the England team captain. Pete.

silvers

Reaction score
Silvers. Mark's got it right. The other guy is Stan Smith, the England team captain. Pete.
Well he weren’t fishing the stick float then was he!!! ;-)

yep ... recognised Stan

So if that was Chalon sur Saone. Is it the same peg from a Different angle that is on the cover of world class match fishing (flats opposite and cables overhead)?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Well he weren’t fishing the stick float then was he!!! ;-)

yep ... recognised Stan

So if that was Chalon sur Saone. Is it the same peg from a Different angle that is on the cover of world class match fishing (flats opposite and cables overhead)?
Although it seems to be at the same venue, I'm not convinced it's during the world match as there are differences to the set-up/peg to the photo on the cover of World CLass Match Fishing. A bit of a mystery.

bracket

Reaction score
I picked the photo up off the Simple Match Fishing Facebook page. Lots of interesting stuff and nostalgia there. Well worth a look. Silvers, I doubt he was using a stick float but who can say, Kev could catch on a plank of wood. Pete

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I picked the photo up off the Simple Match Fishing Facebook page. Lots of interesting stuff and nostalgia there. Well worth a look. Silvers, I doubt he was using a stick float but who can say, Kev could catch on a plank of wood. Pete
He used to fish the Thursday night matches on Lymm Dam. My lad who was a junior angler for Lymm AC team at the time ,was given a few tips on how to fish his peg by Stu Conroy, ( him and and another Lymm Angler Derek Smith used to give my lad coaching lessons when they saw him fishing.)
At the end of the match , my lad was ecstatic he had beaten Kev.
Kev picked him up and " threatened" to throw him in the Dam .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I had a couple of Abu ,506 in the early mid 70's brilliant reels , I even landed an 8lb carp on one that took a fancy to half a worm bait. I don't no why I sold them.
I had a Daiwa 120m in the eighties when they came out, it was rubbish , it nearly ended up being chucked in the canal at the end of a match.
A couple of years ago I acquired from somewhere an Abu 704 I think the model is, Looks decent but not tried it.
Just after I got hold of a 506 , before I got to use it my daughter in law was doing a car boot for a cancer hospice that meant a lot to her.
So I gave her that along with Mitchell 300's 208's a couple of early cap mitchell reel and a Mitchell otomatic .
I priced them to sell for her,cheap enough to get them sold but to dear for her to get ripped off by e bay sellers.
The all went within an hour, One bloke bought all the Mitchell's.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I don’t know if anyone else had mentioned it but the Ryobi Tecno Match has a good reputation for reliability

I’m not sure if they still make them but you can usually pick one of second hand, they aren’t cheap though