Closed Faced Reels

Steve King

Reaction score
Around twenty years ago I used to regularly see an old guy on the Teme legering for barbel and using a Diawa closed face reel. Not the intended purpose of the reel, but it seemed to work for him!

Keith M

Reaction score
Whenever I’ve used my closed face Abu 506 reel on the canal or on a river and I’ve unexpectedly caught larger Chub I’ve had to do dummy casts afterwards before the line would start peeling off properly again because of the line bedding in; that’s why I rarely use my closed faced reel nowadays.
If I’m only catching small stuff then it’s fine, but it becomes a nightmare if I’m occasionally hooking any decent sized fish because of the line bedding in problem.

NB: I’ve only ever loaded around 50 metres or less of 2.75lb to 4lb line onto my Abu 506 closed spool reel, which has a very narrow and fairly small diameter spool.

I find a centrepin a lot more useful and a lot more fun to use when trotting on a flowing stream or river; especially if there are decent sized fish in it.

Keith

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Against my better judgement I have recently bought a closed face reel, never used one before. With small fish it's ok but with fish over the pound mark there was a lot more pressure required to reel a fish in! The reel in itself is not faulty, it seems to be a basic design fault because of the way the line has to go around the winding mechanism? I would guess that this must happen with all cf reels?

Reaction score
Pumping fish is the best way to wind decent fish in on them,to be honest if you fish with your drag set on fixed spool reels you wont be able to wind either,unless you tighten the drag up...

peterjg

Reaction score
Whitty, thanks for your reply. To be honest I am less than impressed with the reel though it was worth trying out. I will stick with my pins and fs reels.

Avon Trotter

Reaction score
I have a Daiwa 123m and the 125m, great little reels, the 125m has an anti reverse and clutch, the 123m you have to back wind if you have a good un on!

Good tip if using for trotting, polish the inside lip of the spool cover, it helps the line glide off the spool..

trotter2

Reaction score
If your using a big float tbh the line should just peal off the spool. On the other hand if your using light sticks floats in slow flows it's better to feed the line off the spool with the left hand, this ensures a smooth trot down the swim. I have always done it this way its very easy when you get used to it.

Avon Trotter

Reaction score
If your using a big float tbh the line should just peal off the spool. On the other hand if your using light sticks floats in slow flows it's better to feed the line off the spool with the left hand, this ensures a smooth trot down the swim. I have always done it this way its very easy when you get used to it.
Bigger Avons, Loafers will pull the line off fine but I like using small wire stem sticks 6 No4 and less type floats at times, always nice to hold a float back a bit so the bait is slightly in front of the float and presented lovely.

I also find as the day goes on the line will not be so fluid when casting or trotting, its a build up of residue in the rings and on the spool cover from constant casting and winding.

trotter2

Reaction score
Bigger Avons, Loafers will pull the line off fine but I like using small wire stem sticks 6 No4 and less type floats at times, always nice to hold a float back a bit so the bait is slightly in front of the float and presented lovely.

I also find as the day goes on the line will not be so fluid when casting or trotting, its a build up of residue in the rings and on the spool cover from constant casting and winding.
I would regard a 6no4 wire stem as a fairly substantial float with a float of that size in a moderate flow I would really expect it to trott down the swim without much intervention from myself. Light floats to myself are anything lesser than a 4no 4.

Reaction score
Most odd,a few weeks ago I looked online and new 506's were selling for £62-65,I went into Angling Direct today and £90+,also it seems that they never have the Wychwood folding landing nets in anything but the large size,ever,over 8 months,sometimes I wonder what use they are at all....

trotter2

Reaction score
Most odd,a few weeks ago I looked online and new 506's were selling for £62-65,I went into Angling Direct today and £90+,also it seems that they never have the Wychwood folding landing nets in anything but the large size,ever,over 8 months,sometimes I wonder what use they are at all....
I would not pay that sort of money for a new model 506 tbh. Your better off going for a couple of mark 1s imo.

Reaction score
Well,I certainly did not,thought that was a large increase imo,especially when it wouldnt be used unless it was a windy day,if you were a canal match angler a closed face reel would be very handy in my eyes...

mikench

Reaction score
I find the stock in AD is limited and largely the same . Far too much space is allocated to boilies. As an aside I have been looking for a new set of scales and wanted the Newsomes recommended on here by Skip. Nowhere had them in stock and Ejay on line hadn't had any for many months. They do now however and I have ordered a set.

trotter2

Reaction score
Well,I certainly did not,thought that was a large increase imo,especially when it wouldnt be used unless it was a windy day,if you were a canal match angler a closed face reel would be very handy in my eyes...
You can handle decent size fish on them,I have very little problem with chub and the odd barbel I catch round here. Admittedly the 501 ,506 reel is not the reel to use if your into double figure stuff as a regular catch. Not really what it's designed for let's face it.
But great reels when used for a specific purpose.