Clothing for summer

R

Ron Clay

I am looking for a fairly lightweight WATERPROOF, breathable 3/4 length jacket and over trousers for this summers fishing.

I would have to apply for a mortgage if I wanted the best, eg Musto.

Are there any others which do not cost an arm and a leg?

R

Robert Draper

I use an ex-army camouflage poncho, it cost ?12-50 is fully waterproof and doesn't need to be breathable as there is so much ventilation. Plus you can string it between two trees and make a pretty good windbreak.

Apart from that you are indeed looking at an arm and/or leg or be saddled with some dayglo monstrosity from Peter Storm...

P

Paul Kendall

Don't knock good old Peter Storm - you can now get their lightweight stuff from Milletts and/or other camping stores in GREEN and a sort of olivey taupe, beigey type of colour.

Not expensive and does the job.

C

Chris Bishop

Poncho - good shout. My mate's just got one, he can get his chair, bait and most of his gear under it. A walking bivvy, he calls it.

W

Wendy Perry

Ron... SUMMER clothing i still not found any WINTER clothing to fit me lol

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron...go to http://www.transworldsurplus.co.uk/water_proofs.htm and look at the dutch goretex overtrousers, at ?27! new and the British army Goretex Soldier '95 jacket at ?70 new.

Ron, you will not get better kit at that price. They use proper Goretex, not this wishy washy crap u get with "fishing" products. This stuff is good, and is of "low noise" construction, so u can sneak up on courting couples in the bushes!..lol

Also, it dries very quickly and folds up tiny.

C

Chris Bishop

I used to like the old boy on the Fast Show. The one that steps out of an old railway wagon and goes: "This year, I'll be wearing mainly BROWN....."

Take heart Wendy. Fishing fashion is nowhere near the nightmare that female couture normally is. Eg: ~

- No-one cries if someone else turns up at the river wearing the same outfit...

- When your mates arrive, you don't have to spend the first five minutes asking them if they've lost weight and telling them how much their new waders suit them...

- When you go to the tackle shop to try on a new bib & brace, they don't have a special mirror so you can tell whether it makes your bum look big...

P

Paul Thompson

Ron, Take Robs advice. We've both used and abused it (in strict military terms of course), and the gear really is the dogs..
It also weighs next to nothing.
I carry a 3/4 length jacket and trousers all summer if there is the slightest chance of rain, and you wouldn't know they are there. Well worth the money, and will last a lifetime. Mine are covered in mud but still perform brilliantly.
The donkey walloper....

S

Stuart Bullard

Ex army gear Ron, no question. I have light weight gear that cost me ?50 (over trousers and jacket) and its superb.

R

Rob Brownfield

Whats more, if we get called up again...you dont have to go home and get changed!
The Falling Plate...

R

Ron Clay

Thanks guys,

Do you think they can call up a 60 year old fart with TWO passports?

W

Wendy Perry

Hey Chris i know ya know..... what i meant was they don't cater for ladies full stop !!!i bought a bib n brace which has a pee hole in the crutch if i could pee thru that then wonderful but i can't i'm a woman and i wish these company's that make clothing would take there damn blinkers off coz there is a lot of lady anglers out there and i'm sure they'd make a profit on them !!

M

Michael Hall

Or you could go the easy way and go commando!!! lol only joking!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Wend,
Anne Summers do some P.V.C. catsuits....they should be waterproof and even have a "pee hole" in the right position for ladies.

Just a thought....hmmmmm ;o}~

M

Malcolm Bason

I like it Rodney!! LOL Or failing that Wend - just wear the bib n brace back to front!!

For gawd's sake Rob - tell me why Paul is the 'Donkey Walloper'? He won't tell me?

P

Paul Williams

Wendy,
Ignore these lot....i have your summer gear sorted......goretex fishnet in DPM......slightly scented with the unmistakable aroma of hexy tabs........grrrrrrrr

R

Rob Brownfield

Hexy...mmmmmm....maybe a little scotchbrite on the crutch...hehe.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Paul, tell the truth you've modified a keepnet haven't you. ;o}~