Combs Res - One for the Manc's and Yorkies!

akacrush

Reaction score
Just out of interest, and following on from a chat with BigSean...

Who fancies a day out to Combs Reservoir? Handy for anyone in Manchester, Sheffield and the surrounding areas.

A couple of reasons why this place appeals:
1) ITS FREE TO FISH THERE!!!
2) Bloody big pike
3) It's not a commercial full of force fed carp
4) Stacked with bream and silvers see here (and yes they have spelt the name wrong): Coombs Reservoir recaptures glory days with big bream bags

Location on Google maps is here: combs reservoir - Google Maps

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
1) ITS FREE TO FISH THERE!!!
No? :eek: It was five bob a day when I used to go with my mates*. It was collected by the gamekeeper and his border collie and he always used to tell us of a father and son duo who were banging out the bream - always on the other side. It was Ian Heaps and his dad. :eek:mg:

* sad postscript - had a phone call last Friday from a lady I know to tell me that my mate who I went to Combs with on lots of occasions, it was he and I who discovered it before the others ever did, had died the previous day (Thursday). It would be unfair to say I'll miss him because we only met on odd occasions when I went back up north, but knowing he's no longer with us still hurts. He was always the life and soul, we went fishing together and played together ina group, he on drums, me on guitar. I knew he'd been ill with cancer and when I last saw him he said he was beating it. That was a year ago, but sadly it didn't go away. He was 77, a lot older than me, but I'd known him since 1961, and his son and daughter and his then wife who predeceased him some years ago. I'll always remember him for the many great times we enjoyed together. Bless you Al
files.php

Apologies for screewing up your thread mate.

Sorry I can't make it. Far too far, but I'd love to.

akacrush

Reaction score
Hi Jeff

A sad loss I'm sure and no apologies needed.

Shame it's too far for you, but should you have second thoughts then it would be great to have you along.

Cheers

Steve

akacrush

Reaction score
Morning all

No date specifically yet, was gauging interest!

Personally I'm a bit stuck what with one thing and another but free on 29th and 30th of October. That OK with you all?

akacrush

Reaction score
Afternoon all

Now looking like Saturday 22nd of October is my best chance for a pass to play out. That OK with everyone else??

bigsean

Reaction score
Will see wot I can do, but saturday is usually a work day for me, so no promises yet fella.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
If some of you fancy a re-enacment over Christmas week I'm up for it!

bigsean

Reaction score
i definitely wont be able to make this mate .... gotta work, sorry

Morespiders

Reaction score
Sure we can arrange something in the near future Sean, even if its after Xmas, or in the Spring

bigsean

Reaction score
that would be great spiders .... and i dont know how many of u guys are going, but i hope there'll be reports and catch photos next week to make me jealous lol