Commitment

S

Stewart Bloor

A couple of items in this weeks AT caught my eye. Firstly, Dave Mallin, who drove 10,000 mles over 35 weekends, putting in 180 kilos of bait to catch a targeted carp. Secondly, Martin Whitmore who has caught what will be the new bream record. He's been fishing the same water for 12 years and actually gone whole seasons without a fish.
There are two points I want to make a)I really admire these guys for their commitment b) As well as the 'glamour' side of actually catching the fish, the articles point out the time (not to forget effort and money) spent in the process of catching those fish. That's an encouragement to all of us. I spent 20 odd sessions early this year trying to catch a double figure carp from my local canal. It's not a 'specimen' water, so when I did achieve, I felt really chuffed. I'm also 'chasing' a double figure barbel at the moment, which is one of my targets this season. I've come really close but not quite there yet, but the point is I've already put in over 30 sessions this season.
Articles like these in this weeks AT only serve as an encouragement. I think we need to think 'long term', I know I do. Succesful fishing is not a short-term thing. We need stamina !!!
There will always be the guy who takes up fishing and on his first trip and cast lands a monster. But they are few and far between. Most of us need to put a lot of time and effort (and money - don't tell Mrs Sedge !!) into producing specimens.
Sedge

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Good grief!! I dont know about commitment I think that committing under section 3 of the Mental Health Act is probably more appropriate!!!
Anyone who is that obsessive would probably benefit fromm a course of chlorpromazine and a lifetime of diazepam..
Whist you have to have something of a n admiration for the sheer determination of these characters it would never do for me.
So it appears that I will never break a record unless its for something like an encyclopdiac knowledge of all the decent pubs/ restaurants around the Ribble and Hodder Valleys!!

S

Stewart Bloor

So it appears that I will never break a record unless its for something like an encyclopdiac knowledge of all the decent pubs/ restaurants around the Ribble and Hodder Valleys!!

Then it's just commitment of a different sort, I guess !!!!
Sedge

C

Carp Angler

I think it's getting into a kind of groove.
After 'X' period of time you feel that you cannot back down from the challenge.
It does take a certain kind of person to be able to continue it through.
Some people fish and catch from the same lake or river for decades, this guy fished the same lake for 12 years but didn't catch much. Not alot of difference IMO.
Once you really get into a water or the pursuit of a single fish, it does tend to be all consuming, I know, I've been there.
We all tend to do it, it's just that some peoples targets are easier to achieve than others.
You'll get your double tomorrow night Sedge, if not you can have one of mine...:)

P

Philip Inzani

"Commitment", "pain", "sacrifice" I have heard all these comments from people after big fish.....I thought fishing was supposed to be "fun"!!!!!
Actually I am being a bit of a hypocrite as I do become sort of "semi" obsessed at times. I do admire anglers who can be as single minded as a Dave Mallin, and in truth I sort of dream of being like them...you know cacthing the elusive whacker and all that but in reality I know at the moment at least I dont have the will power for it. Usually after a few blank sessions following my latest grand plan I run off in serch of another target but thats what great about fishing...it can be whatever you want it to be!

M

Mike Fidler

Damn! and here I was thinking that having all the latest kit caught you the best fish. Oh well, I'll just return these new micron's as there's only a slight difference from last year's model.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
It just goes to prove everyone is different doesn't it? I like to 'target' fish, but do it in spells. If I'm making headway I stick at it, but if I go through a difficult period I back off for a session or two and do something 'easier' to get my string pulled. Then I go back with renewed enthusiasm. If I didn't make the change I would stop enjoying fishing altogether. Depends on your make-up for how long you can stick at any one target I think.