Conjuring Coarse Magic – Lost Art Of The Float – Part 4 – Laying On In Rivers

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
He/she who is tired of float fishing is tired of life said some sage, perhaps **** Walker! There are endless aspects to the float I could describe in this, the last part of this mini series. Stret pegging. River wagglers. The Lift Method. Controller floats. Antenna floats. Pole floats. Dibbler and ducker floats. Loafer floats and on and on it goes but the big one for me, the float approach that has enhanced my fishing life is good old laying on.

The perfect laying on swim-a nice slow slack on the inside and a steady flow further out

The perfect laying on swim-a nice slow slack on the inside and a steady flow further out

Brian and the River Dane…1965

That was the year I was introduced to laying on by Brian, one of the best river anglers I have ever known and I’ve seen some good ones in action for sure. On Cheshire’s river Dane he slaughtered the roach from right under his rod tip whilst I struggled with every method I’d heard about. He took me under his wing, he calmed me down and he taught me a method that has landed me hundreds of fish I’d never have got close to otherwise. I can see him in my mind’s eye now, hidden by the reeds, close to slacker water, patiently feeding, bringing the roach into him and eventually emptying the river. A tight, delicate, thrilling method that I love to this day.

A magnificent roach

A magnificent roach

Laying On- the basics.

First, the amount the float is fished overdepth depends largely on the speed of the current. The faster the current, the more the float is pushed up the line. All the shot is placed close to the hook after the swim has been plumbed so you know it is firmly on the bottom. Second, the float has to be fished top and bottom for obvious reasons of control. Thirdly, this is a close in method, fished rarely more than two, perhaps three rod lengths out.

Perfect laying on floats

Perfect laying on floats

A long rod is a boon …I’ve been using the Thomas Turner 14’ Classic+ float to great effect throughout 2022 and it really is a cracker. Reels, a matter of choice but a pin is a real opportunity here. The float is key…I like quills but often something more buoyant is best, perhaps with a cork body up top to give stability. On most rivers I fish , a three or four BB float is about right but on a bigger river or a river in flood, go up by all means. Line strength, hook sizes and baits are obviously in step with what you are fishing for.

Barbel and the Thomas Turner Classic+ 14ft float rod

Barbel and the Thomas Turner Classic+ 14ft float rod

Swim Choice

Vital of course and the method can’t really be used on very quick or very shallow water. A slower, deeper eddy is just about perfect . Aim to set your float on the crease or just out in the main flow if it’s not too strong. The very slack water within the eddy itself will hold fish too, but, a big tip here, avoid water that “boils” and heaves like a cauldron. The more like a table top the surface of the swim the better it will fish.

Enoka, Lady and chub caught laying on!

Enoka, Lady and chub caught laying on!

Watch That float

Ideally I like the float to cock at around 45 degrees but the current will move it around a little and sometimes it will lie flat, at least momentarily. If the float continually drags under, it is either set too shallow or you need a heavier float. Bites are indicated in endless ways. Very often, ripples will spread from the float initially. If the float is lying flat, look for it to lift suddenly and probably slide away. If the float is nicely cocked, then it might suddenly lie flat! Sharp movements are what this is all about. Give away bites move the float up stream or down or simply bury! Strike fast, before the fish feels the resistance of the rod tip. Put the rod in a rest to keep it still but hold the butt gently so you are ready for instant action and an immediate strike… although a big bait like flake can be taken more slowly than maggots.

Shots of a float at 45%, standing up and sliding away

Shots of a float at 45%, standing up and sliding away

Float For All Species

This is a great method for roach. The float is under your nose so it can be seen dawn and dusk, peak roach taking times. Laying on has caught me endless big Wensum chub that sense no danger when they pick up the bait…simply because they feel little or no resistance. Flake and corn have proved best. This is a cracking way to catch big perch too…bait with maggots liberally but fish a couple of lobworms on a size 6 or 8. Whatever loose feed you use, keep it tight around the float. If it breaks up and drifts downriver the fish will follow it and your chances drop accordingly. A bait dropper is a perfect tool for the method.

Richard caught this 3lb perch laying on with lobs and a Thomas Turner Classic+ 13fft float rod

Richard caught this 3lb perch laying on with lobs and a Thomas Turner Classic+ 13fft float rod

The Barbel Banker Swim

For years, the Banker had produced barbel at will. It was a close in, slack swim, downstream of thick overhanging bushes and around seven feet deep in normal conditions. Then, little by little, bites tailed off on the tip and touch ledgering. You knew barbel were there by the quick pulls and bangs top you received but they had become massively wary of any resistance whatsoever. Laying on solved the problem for years. A smallish float, set at 9’, offered pretty much no pressure to a taking fish and bites to pellets, boilies and corn became unmissable and just so confident. Every fish made me think of Brian, bless him, and all the work he put into me those years back.

The post Conjuring Coarse Magic – Lost Art Of The Float – Part 4 – Laying On In Rivers appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...