Connecting Line to Lure

Reaction score
Hi all,

When connecting my line to my lure, is it better to use a plain lure snap, a snap swivel, or tie directly to the lure? In what instances should I use each type of terminal tackle? I'm guessing that if using something like a normal spinner, a snap swivel minimises the chances of the line tangling, but beyond that I'm not sure.

At the moment I'm using monofilament connected to a wire trace as part of a starter set provided by my local tackle shop, but I'll soon be upgrading to a braid and fluoro leader combination (most likely).

What are your thoughts?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If I am not using a wire trace, using jig heads for instance, then I tie direct to the hook eye using; “The non slip loop knot.” Make the loop nice and small and the lure can move more freely than if you tie with a grinner/uni knot or blood knot.
af276eb4ff7dd693212403c324907e48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waldi

Reaction score
I’m a bit fussy about my lure traces.
I use hard Mono leaders that I crimp myself. A (small) swivel at one end and a good quality snap at the other. Leader strength is either 8lb for my ul rods or lures up to about 20grms or 20lb for anything heavier.

I‘ve had pike to 104cm (I don’t weigh) on a 3-10grm lure rod and 8lb leader. The leaders show no signs of damage after a decent pike but I change to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
If I am not using a wire trace, using jig heads for instance, then I tie direct to the hook eye using; “The non slip loop knot.” Make the loop nice and small and the lure can move more freely than if you tie with a grinner/uni knot or blood knot.
af276eb4ff7dd693212403c324907e48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks very much, Ray!

Reaction score
I use hard Mono leaders that I crimp myself. A (small) swivel at one end and a good quality snap at the other. Leader strength is either 8lb for my ul rods or lures up to about 20grms or 20lb for anything heavier.

I‘ve had pike to 104cm (I don’t weigh) on a 3-10grm lure rod and 8lb leader. The leaders show no signs of damage after a decent pike but I change to be on the safe side.
That's an interesting one, not one I'd considered, so thank you! I'm assuming the swivel at the reel-end of your leader is connected to braid on the other side? If so what strength braid are you using with that setup?

waldi

Reaction score
If so what strength braid are you using with that setup?
I use 0.06mm for my UL rods and 0.10mm for anything up to 30grm lures.
Breaking strain fo the 0.06mm varies between 1.8 and 6kg depending on manufacturer.
For the past few years I've used Momoi Ryujin, not cheap but it lasts several seasons (If you can avoid loosing it :cautious:)

And yes,Micro swivel tied to the braid main line with a uni-knot.
At least 11 turns with the thinner braid (y)

Reaction score

Can I ask what brand of hard mono you're using ? I've tinkered about with Rio hard mono for making weed guards and always thought it might be a good trace material as well. Thank you.

waldi

Reaction score
I use jackson hard mono but only because it's easy to get.

(Dont forget whatever you use the crimps must be 3 x Diam)

The only reliable knot I found was a palomar knot but it's huge when tied in hard mono.

John Aston

Reaction score
I can highly recommend Surflon knottable wire - I use traces wherever I'm likely to encounter pike and find the 11lb bs ideal for light lure work ,with no impact on perch and other species caught

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
I've had so many pike on small perch lures I now use 6lb / 8lb (soft plastics) or 12lb (crankbaits) single strand titanium cahira nitinol or gurza nitinol. Since using it I've found it has had no effect on my catch rate at all for perch and I get to safely land any pike I hook into, I've had pike over 20lb on the 6lb wire using a 3g to12g lure rod and TRD's with no drama.
Titanium leader knot
It may not look pretty but its very reliable and strong, don't use crimps as single strand can slip through.