Conny X Pickering 14FT

caferacer

Reaction score
I have a Pickering Conny X Long Distance 14ft with a broken tip section.Will a tip section from a Conny X 14ft waggler fit it?Is the 14ft Long Distance model similar in action to the 14ft waggler?

ravey

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the technical differences between the two models are, and you may have to defer to your tackle shop's Daiwa rep or contact Daiwa directly for the answer to that.

It may be that the tips are both the same, and that only the lower sections are beefed up for the long distance model.

If the tips turn out to be the same, then your search could be widened slightly to an older Amorphous model as this and the Connoisseur-X are - as far as I am aware - the same blank (although the Amorphous is likely to have a mixture of double and single-legged intermediates, rather than the singles I suspect these later models are fitted with.

Is it the top few inches that have been snapped? If so, and assuming that you still have the tip piece, then you can effect a perfectly good repair by using the 'tube' bit of a tip ring to bridge the break without losing strength and balance. It is a sight cheaper, too - that's if you can get a complete tip section replaced in the first place. PM me is you need to know more about how to use the tip ring dodge (which I have used myself for a similar rod).

Cheers, Ravey.

caferacer

Reaction score
Many thanks Ravey.There is a good 5 inches missing from the tip.It makes the rod a fine beefy big slider rod but limits its use.You confirmed what I thought,that the difference between the wag and long distance is a beefier mid section.With this in mind Im going to order the new old stock replacement tip section,its a bargain at £25.I wont repair the shorter tip section as it makes for a handy big slider/tench fishing rod.I emailed Daiwa and got no reply yet.

caferacer

Reaction score
I must admit Im very surprised and disappointed in Daiwa`s "customer service".I didnt even get an acknowledgement of my email.Im a lifelong Daiwa user,always sang their praises and have spent a small fortune on their rods/poles.Currently I have 1 new Tourney Pro 14ft wag,1 new 13ft Airity power wag, 2 Conny feeder rods,a Conny pole and the Pickering 14fter.In this day and age I think its foolish to skimp on customer service in such a competitive market.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Don't discount the effect of overly aggressive email filters. There are an awful lot of cranks out there that delight in bombarding shooting and fishing companies with rotten emails. I've come across more than the odd company that have overly aggressive filters because of this. It protects them from the rubbish, but also filters out a lot of genuine correspondence.

If you possibly can, I'd recommend that you phone them before writing off their customer service. This is no particular defence of Daiwa as I have nothing they've produced in the last fifteen years, neither have I dealt with their customer service department. However, anyone I know that has can't speak highly enough of them.

B

binka

Don't discount the effect of overly aggressive email filters. There are an awful lot of cranks out there that delight in bombarding shooting and fishing companies with rotten emails. I've come across more than the odd company that have overly aggressive filters because of this. It protects them from the rubbish, but also filters out a lot of genuine correspondence.

If you possibly can, I'd recommend that you phone them before writing off their customer service. This is no particular defence of Daiwa as I have nothing they've produced in the last fifteen years, neither have I dealt with their customer service department. However, anyone I know that has can't speak highly enough of them.

Spot on Sam.

That was exactly my experience when dealing with Daiwa, I think I posted in praise of their customer service back at the time after initially receiving no reply to an email about spare Emcast spools.

After calling them the lady knew exactly what I wanted and they arrived the next day with a discount added too.