Contentious perhaps?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Discrimination doesn't have to be specifically 'racist' meaning one particular country. It can mean any person or people who are perceived to belong to any group or category;- gays, blacks, Muslims, etc.

In the way that discrimination was investigated and prosecuted when I was working this example would be a clear cut case of discrimination and the person responsible could be prosecuted.

Point missed. I agree entirely that sign is discriminatory. The bloke is demonstrably xenophobic. The problem is that people (in the comments in the linked article) are bringing the word "racist" into things. Whatever else it may be, it is not racist. Too freely is the word bandied about to increase a sense of moral outrage. Discrimination is bad enough on its own.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
It's not racism, it's about culture.

He's paid to stock his lakes. In a trout fishery, the owner would charge according to the number of fish you can take.

A day ticket water charges you to fish for a period of time on the understanding you return the fish.

That's our culture.

There are people from this Country who believe that the rules apply to others and not them, there have been fish stolen and moved and all sorts, this is not an EE thing, it is inherent Human nature.

Maybe there is room for a new type of commercial?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
An EE or a Frenchman, Italian, Irishman etc can hide their nationality by keeping their mouths closed.

Try telling that to my daughter, she works in recruitment and can spot an Eastern European from 20 paces simply from the body language and their clothes.

The bad one

Reaction score
It's not racism, it's about culture.

He's paid to stock his lakes. In a trout fishery, the owner would charge according to the number of fish you can take.

A day ticket water charges you to fish for a period of time on the understanding you return the fish.

That's our culture.

There are people from this Country who believe that the rules apply to others and not them, there have been fish stolen and moved and all sorts, this is not an EE thing, it is inherent Human nature.

Maybe there is room for a new type of commercial?
Whilst what you say is true and has gone on in British culture, mainly carp btw. But why has there been an expediential rise in setlines, nets, and traps recorded by the EA on all types of stillwater fisheries. Correlating with the new accession countries and the free movement of their people into Britain. Necessitating the EA to run courses for Clubs and their bailiffs on what to look out for on their waters. And issuing notices in several Eastern European languages?
Coincidence? Don’t think so!
Don’t get me wrong here I am not being Xenophobic, Racist or Discriminatory here I welcome anybody from anywhere particularly if they are an angler, as long as they accept the laws of the land of the country they are in and/or fishing in. If they will not, then I will, no matter how unpalatable it might be to the chattering classes speak out about it. Because the problem is real and widespread throughout Britain.

nicepix

Reaction score
Point missed. I agree entirely that sign is discriminatory. The bloke is demonstrably xenophobic. The problem is that people (in the comments in the linked article) are bringing the word "racist" into things. Whatever else it may be, it is not racist. Too freely is the word bandied about to increase a sense of moral outrage. Discrimination is bad enough on its own.

Sorry about that Sam. I was actually supporting your earlier post and adding to it. I should have made it more clear.

terry m

Reaction score
Try telling that to my daughter, she works in recruitment and can spot an Eastern European from 20 paces simply from the body language and their clothes.

This is true, indeed European nationals from Germany, Italy, Spain and France are often easy to recognise.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Whilst what you say is true and has gone on in British culture, mainly carp btw. But why has there been an expediential rise in setlines, nets, and traps recorded by the EA on all types of stillwater fisheries. Correlating with the new accession countries and the free movement of their people into Britain. Necessitating the EA to run courses for Clubs and their bailiffs on what to look out for on their waters. And issuing notices in several Eastern European languages?
Coincidence? Don’t think so!
Don’t get me wrong here I am not being Xenophobic, Racist or Discriminatory here I welcome anybody from anywhere particularly if they are an angler, as long as they accept the laws of the land of the country they are in and/or fishing in. If they will not, then I will, no matter how unpalatable it might be to the chattering classes speak out about it. Because the problem is real and widespread throughout Britain.

I fully agree with you :eek:, I'm just pointing out that it is a cultural thing, many get branded by the few.

The East Europeans I speak to about fishing don't understand why we don't eat what we catch, but they do accept that we don't and therefore either don't fish or return them.

I can only think that the lines and other means of catching large quantities of fish are the small element which are looking to profit from it, because, the ones I speak to use the same equipment as us.