Corn, and your experience with barbel?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sweetcorn is maize. Sweetcorn is just a variety of maize that's a bit sweeter than many others when fully ripened. Most maize/corn grown in the uk doesn't get chance to ripen and sweeten, even if it's of the correct variety. As it's invariably used for fodder and biofuel, it doesn't really matter.

The stuff I had did look well and truly ripe but obviously wasn't and must have been cattle grub as it tasted shyt and was tough as old boots....I still forced it down though LOL.
Funny stuff though sweetcorn/maize as even the kernels you buy from the shop vary a lot, some are nice sweet and soft and next time round they're similar to the shyt I picked all that time ago.

Maybe I should try eating some pellets and see if they taste better :cool: :D.

Philip

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that maize pellets have been done before. I seem to recall some using them in conjunction with corn steep liquor.

They certainly did Hemp pellets. Bizarrely there was then a magazine article that recommend using them mixed with real hemp.

Why stop at fish ? ...how about a roast dinner pellet ? ..or a full english breakfast pellet ? ...just wash em down with a glass of water. Breakfast and sunday lunch sorted in seconds ! Yummy.

B

binka

how about a roast dinner pellet ? ..or a full english breakfast pellet ? ...just wash em down with a glass of water. Breakfast and sunday lunch sorted in seconds ! Yummy.

Arrest this man! :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Arrest this man! :D

I don't know Steve, Philip might be onto something, there would be no washing up or cooking and chances are if you only ate pellets you most likely do pellet styts so no skid marks in the bog etc....:cool:

Philip

Reaction score
Woah we need to reel these ideas in a bit …I don’t want to me the man responsible for putting toilet duck out of business...

dicky123

Reaction score
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and well you know the rest:eek:mg:

I'll get me coat:wh

Reaction score
I have never caught a barbel on corn. Had them on maggots, casters, luncheon meat, worms, bread, cheese paste and pellets, but never on corn. All I ever get when using corn is chub, roach and sea-trout.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have never caught a barbel on corn. Had them on maggots, casters, luncheon meat, worms, bread, cheese paste and pellets, but never on corn. All I ever get when using corn is chub, roach and sea-trout.

Barbel are so stupid it can take a while for them to realise that something new is food, we had this with corn on the Severn where it took a few baitings up with corn before they took it.

Reaction score
Barbel are so stupid it can take a while for them to realise that something new is food, we had this with corn on the Severn where it took a few baitings up with corn before they took it.

Maybe - though corn is a well-used bait on at least two of the rivers I've caught barbel from, so they ought to have worked it out by now. I do agree that barbel are pretty stupid, which is a double-edged sword in some respects; on the one hand it means you don't have to be too clever to catch them when they are feeding, but on the other it means you can't really kid them to feed when they don't want to - unlike carp.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In respect of barbel fishing, I find that corn is a poor bait on any venue that sees too little of it used. However, on venues that do see plenty of it, it can very quickly become a bait that fish avoid like the plague.

thecrow

Reaction score
In respect of barbel fishing, I find that corn is a poor bait on any venue that sees too little of it used. However, on venues that do see plenty of it, it can very quickly become a bait that fish avoid like the plague.

I have seen fish stop dead on approaching a bed of corn on a syndicate I used to belong to, one member continued to catch on corn of a different colour having some quite large tench on it.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I just got back from a holiday in France, where, we stayed in a southern town with a very small shallow river that had a lot of smallish barbel (and loads of chub). I didn't get the chance to fish it but walked the banks for an hour or 2 with a couple of small cans of corn.

The river is not fished much - there are maybe 3 accessible swims in a mile, the only evidence of angling was some youtube videos of a guy lure fishing, so I don't think much bait goes in.

Where i could see fish in the shallows (not barbel) the chub and roach took it readily. In the only deepish swim (2-3 ft max) that I could observe where there definitely were barbel (bigger here - up to maybe 5 or 6lb), they went mad for it - I haven't seen this before - my rivers don't give you such views, but they really went for it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I might as well say it again....

In my experiences most coarse fish will readily scoff down sweetcorn...barbel in particular!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
If I just had the one bait it would be corn! The bream love it and always emulate Oliver!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I just had the one bait it would be corn! The bream love it and always emulate Oliver!:)

The barbel we had today took three pieces of corn and several maggots !

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
On the three occasions I specifically fished for Barbel I blanked each time.

However, on the occasion I used Corn I didn't catch 5 fish.

On the two occasions I used meat I didn't catch 10 fish.

Does this help? :confused:

Reaction score
I have fished for carp that were incredibly cute when it came to getting them to feed on freebies and bait, big rich pits mean they don't need to feed on anglers offerings.

So have I, which is why I said it. Shy or cautious fish can still be conned, sometimes - even when they're not actually feeding. Non-feeding barbel (and tench for that matter) are pretty impervious to anything you try.