Corn, and your experience with barbel?

Philip

Reaction score
Shy or cautious fish can still be conned, sometimes - even when they're not actually feeding. Non-feeding barbel (and tench for that matter) are pretty impervious to anything you try.

I do agree that barbel are pretty stupid, which is a double-edged sword in some respects; on the one hand it means you don't have to be too clever to catch them when they are feeding, but on the other it means you can't really kid them to feed when they don't want to - unlike carp.

Not sure I agree with that. If a fish is not feeding its not feeding. I don’t buy into the idea that a Carp for example can be triggered into feeding while say a Tench or Barbel cannot.

Either they are not feeding or you used the wrong trigger. Just my opinion of course.

thecrow

Reaction score
Either they are not feeding or you used the wrong trigger. Just my opinion of course

I know of no wild creature that will pass up the chance of an easy free meal, the meal might have to be worth eating (HNV? etc ) it may be that a bait containing something missing from the fishes diet would be a trigger that would tempt them to feed even if not hungry, do fish feel hunger as we do? or is it all instinctive? I imagine that barbel and tench are no different than other fish in that respect.

Philip

Reaction score
Fred Wilton of course was one of the pioneers in the nutritional theory area looking into things like Australian Rabbits swarming to lick creosote off freshly painted fences and allot of his bait ideas were based around his belief that animals including fish can detect and then seek out something that is missing from their diet.

thecrow

Reaction score
Fred Wilton of course was one of the pioneers in the nutritional theory area looking into things like Australian Rabbits swarming to lick creosote off freshly painted fences and allot of his bait ideas were based around his belief that animals including fish can detect and then seek out something that is missing from their diet.

The late Tony miles was a big believer and it didn't do his catches any harm.

It reminds me of Elephants going to the same cave for many years to get minerals they need, it can only be instinct so why not fish?

Elgon Elephants

Philip

Reaction score
I recon it applies to humans too. Eat sushi for a week and I recon you will be gagging for a steak at the end.

Reaction score
High protein baits are not a great thing for fishing IMO,even though I use them,many fish species were easier to catch before pellets and boilies,thing is the s.hunting world thrive on the fact they fatten their own fish up.Natural baits are less affective today,mainly cos everyone is carrying bags of pellets and boilies,its called convenience and economy.
As an aside Sensas made sweetcorn pellets,they were rubbish.

thecrow

Reaction score
High protein baits are not a great thing for fishing IMO,even though I use them,many fish species were easier to catch before pellets and boilies,thing is the s.hunting world thrive on the fact they fatten their own fish up.Natural baits are less affective today,mainly cos everyone is carrying bags of pellets and boilies,its called convenience and economy.
As an aside Sensas made sweetcorn pellets,they were rubbish.

Have you seen the amino acids profile of the earthworm :D lots of proteins in them perhaps we have been using HNVs for longer than we think.

Could earthworm meal become a replacement for fishmeals?

Reaction score
I don't think we have Graham,not many anglers feed 6 pints of worm,also a varied diet is good,so we're told,different proteins add to barbel/fishes health,or well being,something that doesn't happen often on the Severn or Trent these days,how many anglers fish anything other than pellets or boilies,I know you feed low oil pellets,but we don't even know what harm these can do.

thecrow

Reaction score
these days,how many anglers fish anything other than pellets or boilies,I know you feed low oil pellets,but we don't even know what harm these can do

The ones I use are according to skretting for course fish although I suspect that by course fish they mean carp and whether barbel and carp have the same dietary requirements I don't know.

Plenty of barbel are still caught on other baits such as meat in its different forms, maggots but I do concede that some of the older baits such as cheese or sausage meat don't get used (maybe a reason to start using them) so much although Steve has caught them last season on cheese and I know of a 17+ from the Trent on sausage meat paste.

Lets face it we throw an awful lot of things at fish without knowing if its good for them or not, pellets and boilies are just a couple of them.

soft plastic

Reaction score
I suspect by course fish they mean coarse fish.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suspect that my spelling is the last of my worries, does it really matter or are you the official FM spelling monitor?

LO Graham, be careful you might get detention :eek:mg:.

Reaction score
The ones I use are according to skretting for course fish although I suspect that by course fish they mean carp and whether barbel and carp have the same dietary requirements I don't know.

Plenty of barbel are still caught on other baits such as meat in its different forms, maggots but I do concede that some of the older baits such as cheese or sausage meat don't get used (maybe a reason to start using them) so much although Steve has caught them last season on cheese and I know of a 17+ from the Trent on sausage meat paste.

Lets face it we throw an awful lot of things at fish without knowing if its good for them or not, pellets and boilies are just a couple of them.

I think today's barbel don't need to eat every day,purely by being stuffed full of high nutritional value baits,even on rivers like the Severn fish often on!y feed !ast knockings,in the days of maggot and caster they fed all day every day,food for thought eh?

soft plastic

Reaction score
I suspect that my spelling is the last of my worries, does it really matter or are you the official FM spelling monitor?
Certainly not, but I can't for the life of me see how people can mistake the two. Anyway, is your "ignore" list not working?

thecrow

Reaction score
LO Graham, be careful you might get detention :eek:mg:.

Wont be the first time but I always got out of it by threatening to pull out of the school football, cricket and cross country team :D the teacher that ran them was a good bloke he didn't even mind if one made a spelling mistake :D

thecrow

Reaction score
I think today's barbel don't need to eat every day,purely by being stuffed full of high nutritional value baits,even on rivers like the Severn fish often on!y feed !ast knockings,in the days of maggot and caster they fed all day every day,food for thought eh?

I remember the maggot days on the royalty but them feeding all day on them could have something to do with maggots being mostly water and not filling them up same with caster? the course :eek: fish pellets I use break down quicker than high oil ones and also possibly don't fill them up as much for that reason or keep them in the swim long unfortunately, I would like to see the high oil pellet banned but I know that's not going to happen in these days of catch at all costs.

thecrow

Reaction score
Certainly not, but I can't for the life of me see how people can mistake the two. Anyway, is your "ignore" list not working?

Make sure you check all of your posts or the speeling police will get you and tell you where you have gone wrong because they have never made a mistake you know :D