corvi 19

davebhoy

Reaction score
The much lauded 100,000 tests per day has become yet another government over-pronmised and under-achieved debacle.

Having wasted 3 weeks pushing herd immunity before folowing the German and Korean initiative of Test, test ,test, they promised 100k per day.

Yesterday they achieved less than 30k . . and yet the Health Secretary, also yesterday, was still insisting that they will make it by month end . . . . however highly conitioned by adding, "it might take a few days to collate all the data". . .

Strange that considering every day for 3 weeks they have been able to assemble the data in time for the 5pm party broadcast . . .

Even more strange is that in the PPE shortage most European countries never had the same problems we experienced here in the uk . . . . I read both French and German news sites almost daily and have yet to see the same problems widely reported on those . . .

Having lived and wrked in Hamburg Germany for years I can tell you I saw no observable or real differences in the way people over there live. On thw sibject of total death then also remember that the uk are still not inclding the full count of ALL cases due to Covid-19.

As to whether or not a different Party might have handled this differently that is wholly hypothetical inasmuch as we have the govetnment that we have, so that argument is non sequitur.

Germany's devolved logic is helping it win the coronavirus race | World news | The Guardian

This article does give one important difference between Germany and the UK

davebhoy

Reaction score
I might be wrong now and may well be proved very wrong in the future but from looking at the data I don’t see that, with a couple of exceptions, anyone is doing that much better or that much worse than anyone else in dealing with this.

Reaction score
If it is to be believed we tested more than S.Korea over the last few days and we are catching Germany up too,another question,why did Italy have such high deaths,Spain too,any reasons why social distancing didnt work in therse two countries quicker,especially as they policed it harder...

nottskev

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the NHS had the recommended amount of PPE , in stock,

The British Medical Association, The Royal College of Physicians, NHS Providers (representative body for hospital trusts), and the Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty all testify to the dangers to staff and patients of the shortage of PPE, and doctors and nurses appear on tv everyday pleading for it. Government ministers accept they are right.

If you've read something that tells us they have the "recommended amount", please tell us where. I'm sure they'd all like to know.

nottskev

Reaction score
If it is to be believed we tested more than S.Korea over the last few days

What is the point of your referring to S Korea? They suffered 252 deaths. We have 21,092 so far. The point is to test from the outset, and not wait til the virus is rife in the community and then crank up the test number over a long period. They clearly did their testing at the point where they were able to isolate infected people. We were washing our hands and singing Happy Birthday.

Krang

Reaction score
If it is to be believed we tested more than S.Korea over the last few days and we are catching Germany up too,another question,why did Italy have such high deaths,Spain too,any reasons why social distancing didnt work in therse two countries quicker,especially as they policed it harder...

Italy has a lot of elderly people. That's bound to affect the death rate.

John Keane

Reaction score
Panorama last night on the reasons for PPE shortage made for an interesting watch.

Reaction score
What is the point of your referring to S Korea? They suffered 252 deaths. We have 21,092 so far. The point is to test from the outset, and not wait til the virus is rife in the community and then crank up the test number over a long period. They clearly did their testing at the point where they were able to isolate infected people. We were washing our hands and singing Happy Birthday.

If I test someone and say they are eighty and their test comes back positive and unfortunately they die,unless we chase the possible infected contacts and jail them,what is your informed opinion of what happens next,I'm afraid that if anyone on this forum knows as much as the govts advisors,they ought to apply for the vacancy,I however have little choice but to abide by their decisions....

mikench

Reaction score

We still allowed the Calcutta cup match, the CL game with Atletico Madrid and Cheltenham notwithstanding what we knew about the virus. When the outbreak broke in Italy, in ski resorts, no Brit was quarantined but allowed to go home where no checks of any kind where carried out. Even this last weekend with thousands of brits being repatriated from all over the world there was no testing or checking on arrival at our airports. Nobody was checked to see with whom they had been associated or where they were going. I cannot believe the level of incompetence.

Repeating my incredulity at the CL game let me reiterate that over 3000 people were allowed to make their way to Liverpool from a highly infectious city and then return. Fans were allowed to handle a b***** great flag probably heavily impregnated with the virus and pass it around thousands of fans. It doesn't need hindsight to know that was crass stupidity.

None of the above occurred in South Korea, New Zealand and Germany. Coincidence?

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
If I test someone and say they are eighty and their test comes back positive and unfortunately they die,unless we chase the possible infected contacts and jail them,what is your informed opinion of what happens next,I'm afraid that if anyone on this forum knows as much as the govts advisors,they ought to apply for the vacancy,I however have little choice but to abide by their decisions....

I can't follow what your first two lines are saying. It's easy to look up how countries doing better than us trace, test and isolate infected people. There is another choice, besides applying to be a government adviser and simply accepting their decisions - it is to put time in to read and listen to informed sources, follow events and debates in detail and make yourself qualified to comment on whether politicians are or aren't taking the best course.

Reaction score
Dont you believe people are looking into these ideas,apparently once case numbers are above a certain number that system isn't feasable,when this virus comes into a more manageable state i'm sure we will get a lot more information on the why's and wherefore's of the outbreak,i'm sure it is far more complicated than just doing a test,like getting hold of them,setting up centres,manning them,tracing teams,thats without trying to control the virus through health services,stay well,one and all.

Reaction score
Dont you believe people are looking into these ideas,apparently once case numbers are above a certain number that system isn't feasable,when this virus comes into a more manageable state i'm sure we will get a lot more information on the why's and wherefore's of the outbreak,i'm sure it is far more complicated than just doing a test,like getting hold of them,setting up centres,manning them,tracing teams,thats without trying to control the virus through health services.Stay well,one and all.

nottskev

Reaction score
Dont you believe people are looking into these ideas,apparently once case numbers are above a certain number that system isn't feasable,

I believe we can all look into these ideas. Many of those who do, which includes experts from many health-related fields as well as the occasional angler, have noted that we allowed the epidemic to surge by stopping a national strategy for community case finding, testing, contact tracing and isolation on March 12 and still haven't restarted it. Those countries which employed this approach most successfully applied it aggressively from the start, and did so with the means and organisation it requires. We, it appears, did not, and we veered into a "delay" strategy involving ideas of "herd immunity" - which nobody in the government wants to own up to now, as it became apparent the cost of this in lives was going to be way beyond their initial ideas.

We are now trying to re-start a programme of finding cases, tracing contacts, isolating the infected etc, but it is as you say - so we agree - so much less feasible when the horse has been allowed to bolt.

I don't believe in leaving it to others to "look into things", but then I don't buy into any mushroom management that treats me as fungus.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The oft mooted line that we are being "led by the science" refering to the SAGE committee sadly seems to fail the test of investigation as it appears that it contans 13/23 government employees on said committee . . . handy if you need a "majority" . . .

nottskev

Reaction score
Reminds me of the old one about American justice - the best that money can buy!

rob48

Reaction score
Do NHS Quango's and Procurement Managers have any involvement of requisitioning PPE, or do they just put their trust in their "preferred suppliers" forcing other PPE providers to offload their wares abroad, in order to avoid losing money?

steve2

Reaction score
On the news last week a company was making face masks and screens but was told they were not on the supply list. The owners said they would now be sent a broad to the USA.

rich66

Reaction score
I’d also seen on local news and national that firms were offering to make PPE, but just couldn’t get through the red tape of the NHS to even talk to someone about supplying and had given up gone else where
Working with someone who’s partner works for the NHS in an office environment I’m not surprised at all. A couple of years back she said there was a surplus of new IPads in this particular dept due to over ordering and they where just given away to be taken home ! Should have been redirected to the kids wards or something at least.