Crucian (?) ID

nottskev

Reaction score
Funny. I saw this thread just after I posted a pic of a crucian (?) on HYDGO. Now I look again, its length to depth proportions and the depth of the fork in the tail make me wonder. They certainly did the well-known crucian fight - round in circles jagging the rod down, a few dives, then suudenly popping up flat to be netted. If I'm wrong about these fish, I'm probably not the only one - the fish in this pool have been in a few press features over the years before Dave Coster mentioned them on here lately. I kept the article from when I first heard of the pools years ago, and here's the well-known angler in the Mail feature with fish that are shaped like mine.

s10.jpg

Philip

Reaction score
I have said a few times on here that I think its not Brown goldfish everyone should be worried about , its Gibel Carp (I avoid the term Prussian Carp to keep Mr Wintle happy :))

I caught this fish last year, at first glance I thought it was a monster Gibel, they usually grow to @7lb max but this was into double figures. On closer inspection I believe it was in fact a Gibel x Common hybrid. I am quite sure can cross with Crucians as well

I believe Gibel are already present in the UK and a Crucian x Gibel hybrid could really throw a spanner in the works.

1627334803896.png

And here is a smaller example....

1627335740536.png

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I caught a very similar looking fish to the bottom one a couple of years ago at Bury Hill fishery. Every other crucian I’ve had from there looked dead right. It looked exactly like a normal crucian but was silver and no hint of any golden colour or barbules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There is evidence that gibel carp are in the UK and the EA are on the case. The ones I identified appear to have been imported in the early 2000s but no evidence that they have ever bred or cross-bred and the ones still around look like old fish now. Having said that they are also in other waters which the EA is trying to identify; quite what action they intend to take I don't know. As part of the National Crucian Conservation Project I have had an insight into what is happening across Europe and the advance of gibels replacing crucians has been unstoppable and happening for decades, hence the use of the former French and Italian terms for crucians being increasingly applied to gibels.