Dead maggots

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
@S-Kippy no need for hot water or freezing to create plump dead maggots.
Two ways you can make them. Firstly put the maggots in an air tight container overnight like the Fox Buckets with lid or smaller such containers.
Maggots go dormant from lack of air and when at the bank transfer the amount you want straight away into a container of water. This will kill them.
With the lead off, the other maggots will come back to life again for you to use.
Dr Paul Garner talks about storing & flavouring maggots on the bank in his video.
The second method is similar and in Jamie Harrison's video.

rayner

Reaction score
The trick is to raise the temperature gradually. Too hot and they stretch and blanche. I put them in a plastic bag, put the bag in warm water and gradually add water from a boiled kettle, giving them a bit of time between top-ups. They come out prize-winners, if I say so myself.
In the exact same way as Crystal Bend posts above are my now preferred way with dead maggots, in fact, the term dead maggot should not be used.
My now dormant maggots "not dead" are by far better. they just appear dead working a lot better for my liking.
The Jamie Harison method with maggots is the one I use after seeing the clip CB shows. In post 75 I mentioned the method I use.
I adopted the same method after seeing his explanation why some months ago.
The simple fact using dead maggots definitely work for thinking anglers.

nottskev

Reaction score
In the exact same way as Crystal Bend posts above are my now preferred way with dead maggots, in fact, the term dead maggot should not be used.
My now dormant maggots "not dead" are by far better. they just appear dead working a lot better for my liking.
The Jamie Harison method with maggots is the one I use after seeing the clip CB shows. In post 75 I mentioned the method I use.
I adopted the same method after seeing his explanation why some months ago.
The simple fact using dead maggots definitely work for thinking anglers.

I like the dormant/dead distinction, and I'm proud to be counted a thinking angler :). I read a book in 1974 by polymath Lyall Watson called "The Romeo Error" (Romeo mistook Juliet's drugged sleep for death and killed himself) which made a fascinating study of the difficulties in defining exactly what "death" is and when to declare it. it's an eye-opener. Talking of uncertain thresholds, did I really just watch a video where a chap called Jamie Harrison spent several minutes driving a van while explaining to us that he uses corn because it's yellow and you can buy it anywhere? Or was I dreaming?

rayner

Reaction score
Humorous in parts, especially the Jamie Harrison corn quote.
I am fixed reading your posts Kev. Though some leave me more than a little perturbed. Like the little Shakspear comment!
Far too intellectual for my tiny Yorkshire brain. Even though I never understood why Shakspear was ever liked.