Death of Ray Webb

R

Ron Clay

It is with sadness that I report the death of my old friend and angling legend Ray Webb.

Ray was truly one of the great angling pioneers of the 50s and 60s. His two favourite species being pike and tench.

Ray was a great character, a lovable eccentric who's memory. by those who knew him, will never be forgotten.

P

Paul Williams

Sad to hear that Ron, Ray was mentioned here on FM a while back......i wonder how many of todays pikers could hack a journey to Lomond.....on a moped!!.....from Leicester!!!!!!!!!!!

R

Ray Bewick

I very sorry to hear that, I did not personally know him, but as a primarily Tench Angler I avidly read of his experiences.

Ron, I thought, I had previously guessed that you must have fished with him due to your insight into certain personal matters that troubled him and you sensitively alluded to.

The last I heard was that he was even considering fishing again, I really hope he did. I'am no great believer in religion, but I would honestly like to think of him 'camping' with his old mates with endlessly challenging fish; Tench of course!, perhaps with the odd pike thrown in.

It would be good for his friends to see him laughing again.

P

Paul Williams

Ray,
The fishing is secondary in such a scenario, well put,.....from another sentimental fool!! :)

D

David Will

Very sorry to hear the news.Fishing For Big Pike was my bible as a youngster.

R

Ron Clay

Paul,
Or row the measured mile up Hornsea Mere in a boat that looked like a coffin, and beat everyone else to the best spot even if he set off 10 minutes late.

I fished with Ray Webb a great deal in the period 1962 to 1967. We had some great times, together with anglers such as Steve Crawshaw, Tag Barnes, John Weston, **** Clegg etc.

No doubt the next Angling Star will contain a few stories about him. I intend doing something in his memory.

It would of course be nice to have thought that Ray would have wanted to go fishing during his last few years.

Rest in Peace old friend

R

Richard Drayson

Sad news indeed. I remember reading about Ray in a book called "Plugs and Plug Fishing" by Rickards & Whitehead.

G

Glen Chalker

Ray came down to my neck of the woods many moons ago and we pike fished a local lake together and as he didn`t have a bivvy he shared mine.I usually get out for a pee but oh no not Ray,as he was closest to the door he just lay on his bed(borrowed) and let fly through the door!!! A character that will be remembered by many.God bless you mate.

R

Ron Clay

There are many many really funny stories to be told about Ray Webb.

A classic was when the old Sheffield Angling Telegraph ran a competition for young anglers, the prize being a weekend spent with Ray and I think - Barrie Rickards.

The young prize winner was picked up by Ray in his van. He said to Ray, quite politely, "Mr. Webb, I'm afraid your vehicle does have a rather strong smell".

Ray then said: "Nay lad, it int' van, it's me"!