Devastating method...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Yesterday I fished the weekly open match at Albans lakes, London Colney. Carp and bream are the target fish. The match lake is around 12-15ft deep
and quite big. I had the legendary ****ie Carr fishing 2 pegs down and another top local angler next to me.
They were both using the same method which was a version of the infamous slow sinking bomb. Fished the same way as a pellet waggler, these clear plastic jobs look like a controller float ( in fact I’m sure that's what they are intended for) Fished straight through they have a silicone tube inside which can be twisted like a spiral to grip ones line and create a fixed rig. There is also a screw fitting on one end which can be opened to put water inside for casting weight. By adding more water it can be made to sink slowly. Below that a 3’ hook link to a hair rigged banded pellet . As with waggler, 3 or 4 pellets are cattied out then the rig cast to the same spot. The carp rip into it and the sound of their drag rachets is still ringing in my ears...
14BDC483-74F6-43D0-9480-2C8254CA7D75.jpeg

Well, the 2 of them took it apart landing 99 and 82lb of carp each. Needless to say I’ve ordered some ... Mastering them may be a different matter?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Sounds like great fishing.

Had easily over a ton fishing pellet waggler myself yesterday, pleasure fishing. Finished off with a washter on the hook band which caught the biggest fish.

Have just bought some Korum loaded blobs in my quest to find the smallest float that will do the job. Those ones you have might just be the answer to my quest, where do you get them?

bleak

Reaction score
I used to fish those lakes in the 1980's . I had them all to my self , used to fish nearly every other evening and never met another angler. I'd stalk a few chub in the River Colne and then have an amazing time on the lakes. The fish were all eager and pristine wild. I remember thinking this would a great business opportunity if I was wired that way... I lived less than a ten minute walk away , so paradise at the time really . Didn't need a slow sinking bomb then. I also remember catching my first lake caught chub in there . I was very surprised at first...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Yes, very similar to the bubble but much smaller and lighter....
I’ll definitely be buying some of these to try out, what are the casting ranges of the sizes? I do most of my pellet waggler fishing just beyond pole range, say 20 metres. Cheers.

rayner

Reaction score
I like the teardrop shape, the slow sinkers I have are coloured that I thought the fish backed away from. The clear look of the ones featured may work better. ;)