Dirty old rivers

steve2

Reaction score
I wonder how many people would really want to make sacrifices for a few fish and the odd otter….

Pay more for your food?
Eat less dairy?
Eat less poultry product?

(Agriculture attributed 36% to not achieving good ecological status)

Max one child?
Pay more for your water?
Pay more for your sewage disposal?

(Water industry 24%)

Drive less?
Pay significant amounts to upgrade urban run-off?
Pay more for a new house?

(11%)
The answer is very few; we will just carry on unless forced to.
Covid as showed us just how wrong we are for taking things for granted.

Pollution of the world most precious resource, water, shows just how much we don’t care.

steve2

Reaction score
One thing that strikes me in all these reports is that anglers who have been talking about these problem for years are never asked for their views on the pollution issues. It's always swimmers, paddlers, nature groups just goes to show just how far down the pecking order a million anglers are.

bullet

Reaction score
Not really, no one apart from Anglers gives a shit about Fish.

Reaction score
Most anglers dont even know there is a petition,if you dont go on forums, or read angling press you wouldnt,most anglers just grab their gear and go...

nottskev

Reaction score
One thing that strikes me in all these reports is that anglers who have been talking about these problem for years are never asked for their views on the pollution issues. It's always swimmers, paddlers, nature groups just goes to show just how far down the pecking order a million anglers are.

Are you sure other groups have a presence because they've been asked for their views? And not because they have campaigned persistently and intelligently enough to make an impact? I think your usual view is more accurate: that we anglers, charming as we may be individually, have been unable, collectively, to organise the proverbial in a brewery.

steve2

Reaction score
I see the swimmers were out protesting about pollution in Thames today I assume the anglers were out fishing.

John Aston

Reaction score
Some time ago somebody posted that the mainstream media( a loaded and sensitive term these days) would never cover river pollution in any depth . Words being eaten now I think ? The Times has been running the story for weeks , and river woes have regularly featured on radio and TV news . When fishing the Ouse the other day , a dog walker lady was very keen to talk about river pollution . What is interesting in such conversations is the fact that many 'civilians ' seem blissfully unware of the grotesque levels of pollution from the Industrial Revolution until the decline of industry in the 80s and 90s - as if pollution and sewage spills were a recent phenomenon

bullet

Reaction score
I think the perception of the public has been that rivers are very clean now after the decline of industry, and most have been unaware of the sewage and diffuse pollution problem.
Stories such as the return of Salmon to the Thames have carried a lot of weight in this regard.