Distance Sticks and Stage Stand Questions

SBurt

Reaction score
Whilst flicking through some old fishing magazines I noticed that a popular brand of distance sticks supply three 10cm 'sticks' as well as the two longer items. I understand the use of the longer items but what are the three 10cm items for? By the time you have pushed them far enough into the ground to remain upright you would be dragging your rod tip along the ground/undergrowth. I am obviously missing something?

There was also an add for stage stands. Which, as I am sure you are all aware, require the user to screw the stands into the fishing peg boards. The immediate thought that came into my head was the cummulative damage to the boards after a few hundred anglers had used stage stands to mangle the wood surface. Maybe in my thoughts I am exagerating the damage caused by the screws and accelerated rot etc, but if I was a fishery owner with limited funds I would be a little concerned. Why not just use a tied down small pod?

Ged28

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but suspect that the 3 short sticks will be to place between the longer ones at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 wraps.

mikench

Reaction score
Which is that Gordon as I hadn’t noticed🙈. I do use them when necesssary and doubt very much that a half inch screw is going to damage the timbers. As for hundreds of anglers being as flippant as me, I have never seen hundreds of anglers collectively at any of my club waters in over 8 years. I rarely see another soul. Most pegs ie 96% are perfectly suited to bank sticks in the water or bank or my wonderful rod rest invented by Gordon. Another 3% have either concrete and gravel pegs, deep water immediately below ones feet or do not have clearly defined pegs. 1% are unfishable regardless.

SBurt

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but suspect that the 3 short sticks will be to place between the longer ones at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 wraps.
Thanks for the reply, makes sense. I just can't see how they are practical given how short they are, especially if the grass is longer than you would find on a bowling green.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Which is that Gordon as I hadn’t noticed🙈. I do use them when necesssary and doubt very much that a half inch screw is going to damage the timbers. As for hundreds of anglers being as flippant as me, I have never seen hundreds of anglers collectively at any of my club waters in over 8 years. I rarely see another soul. Most pegs ie 96% are perfectly suited to bank sticks in the water or bank or my wonderful rod rest invented by Gordon. Another 3% have either concrete and gravel pegs, deep water immediately below ones feet or do not have clearly defined pegs. 1% are unfishable regardless.
WAA

SBurt

Reaction score
Places like Clattercote, where all pegs are boarded and see a high turn over of anglers throughout the year, would be affected. Screws longer than half an inch will certainly be used as well. I am not at all trying to say that they should not be used, just that if I owned a fishery I would be concerned about the potential for increased maintenance costs.

mikench

Reaction score
No disrespect but that would be a minor worry imo. Far worse is fish ill treatment, injudicious ground baiting and unnecessarily large barbed hooks. It’s usually the idiots anglers who ignore the rules who create the issues wherever the venue. They are not in the main silver fishermen.

Keith M

Reaction score
For those that are not familiar with stage stands here’s a Stage Stand.

Heres a Stage Stand in use:

And below is a ‘close up‘ of the tiny hole that was left after removing the Stage Stand.

As you can see the tiny screw hole left after use is hardly visible; and unless everyone is using one; the damage caused is very minor; in fact the natural splits in the wood are far worse.
Some fisheries do not allow them thinking that the small screw that you use to fix them to a fishing stage must cause damage; which if everybody used one could be detrimental.
So you should only use one if the club or fishery owner allows them.

I very occasionally use a stage stand about once or twice per year (when I’m not fishing two rods for carp and using a rod pod), however my clubs do allow the use of the occasional rod Stand,

It’s the angler who bangs their rod rests in between the wooden slats in a fishing platform that causes the most damage 99% of the time; and not a very occasional angler using a Stage Stand with its tiny screw hole.

But I repeat; Only use if the club or fishery owner allows their use.

Keith

Last edited: