Do you have trouble rising early.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
To go fishing that is. Personally I have never had a problem with getting up at ''silly o'clock''.
But I have a couple of mates who are the devil's own job to rouse on any impending trip. I'm used to it now after forty odd years, but man it used to drive me batty, talk about shades of the walking dead.
Do any of you guys suffer from this affliction, or have known someone who did?

rich66

Reaction score
Nope, I can get up at anytime. Trouble I have is sleeping the night before a fishing trip.

greenie62

Reaction score
..... Trouble I have is sleeping the night before a fishing trip.

Ditto - I usually manage to fall asleep eventually - just when I've decided that there's no point in trying to get to sleep anymore! - might as well get up now and ......... zzzzzzz! :eek::eek::eek:mg:

theartist

Reaction score
As above, I just can't get to sleep if I know I've got to be up early nowadays yet I spent years starting work at 5am and had no problems then. Still can wake up like a shot even with an hours sleep yet I become over tired and can't sleep the next night either, that's when the sleep dep kicks in and it's like you're on something.

lambert1

Reaction score
I am a morning person full stop and find that I can accomplish so much more if I have an early start, whatever I am doing. Seem to go down hill after lunch though:D If I have a tedious chore i.e. paperwork, I stand much more chance of completing it if I get up before everyone else and make myself concentrate. If I start something late in the day, my concentration levels are poor to non-existent.

seth49

Reaction score
I used to struggle getting up when I was in my teens, but a lifetime of getting up for work at five thirty cured that. Even now when I'm retired I still wake up early. Now though if I'm not doing anything I will go back to bed till about seven.

If I'm fishing and it's a summers morning, I like to get up before the sun and get away really early. Best part of the day for me, no finer time to be out, wish I could get my mate to go then, if I want an early start I've to go on my own.?

B

binka

I've always been an early morning riser, it's by far the best time of the day imo.

Like others have said I too often have problems getting to sleep the night before I'm going fishing :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am up and about at just after 5am every day of my life.

I've never been able to stay in bed once my eyes are open and wife number two used to marvel at how it took me just a few seconds to wake and get out of bed.

For fishing days I have the opposite problem to be honest inasmuch as I cannot get to sleep the night before a fishing trip.

One of my old fishing buddies was hopeless and would still be in his bed when I arrived in the car to collect him. Grrrr

nottskev

Reaction score
I didn't used to. As a teenager I used to get up in the dark, splash a bit of milk in a bowl to kid my mum I'd had breakfast, bike to the canal and be struggling to tackle up by the in the half-light. Now I need to be up a couple of hours, eat, mooch around a bit, get whatever gear together and then set off. Fortunately, I've discovered the evenings can be as productive as the mornings, but not quite, I agree, the same magical brand new feel. But at least it's home to a meal and a beer rather than feeling like a zombie after a dawn start. And one good thing about winter is that the best time tends to be 12 to 4 pm. Having said all that, now that I'm not having to get up for work, I'm really going to make an effort to get in more early starts.

rayner

Reaction score
I've always been on the ball when it came to fishing. I also had a reputation for leaving folk that were still in bed.
These days I am up with the first ring of my alarm, trouble is I have to wait for my wife who objects to a too early off, I manage to leave home at 8 o clock if it's dry.

steviebearuk

Reaction score
When i used fish the canals in the 80's i would always be up 4.30am for an early start. But now the commercials i fish dont open till 8am so no need to.

Windy

Reaction score
I am definitely a late riser / late night worker. Always have been.

I can get up early if I need to, but it is an effort and I have to try and force myself to get to bed and to sleep earlier than my natural metabolic circadian clock.

Keith M

Reaction score
I don't mind getting up before dawn on a nice spring or summers day if I'm fishing for Tench and Crucians on a remote lake or Im trotting on a remote stream for Barbel or quality Roach and dace, but for the rest It takes a hell of a lot to get me out of bed early, and I'd much prefer fishing the early evenings through to midnight.

It hasn't always been this way, when I was younger I'd always be on the water at around dawn.

Keith

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I,ve caught trains to lincolnshire, coaches to cambridgeshire and nottinghamshire, then done it all over again by motorbike then car, all at such hours at times that I've only had an hour or two in bed , all to be in some remote spot to cast a line.
It was dead easy then but get up for work to be there at nine was a near nightmare.
These days I still get up early if its required, maybe 20% of my fishing, but fishing the tidal river trent as I do I often dont need to get up so early as arriving before the ebb seems to nullify the need for any early rise..

bracket

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with early rising since beginning a paper round at the age of thirteen. This meant a 6.30 am start, so getting up at 6 am became a regular habit for me. Never used an alarm clock, just tell myself what time I need to be about and I'm awake within ten minutes of the target time. Even after 16 years of retirement, most days I am showered and shaved, had some breakfast, fed the cows and milked the chickens, long before anyone else stirs. I don't know if it's the result of a guilty conscience or just down to clean living but that's me. Sad intit. Now my Son in Law Chris, he could sleep for England. If it was an Olympic event he would win Gold, Silver and Bronze all on his own, but then he does have to get up 4/5 times in the night for a fag. Pete.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Always loved the early mornings, regardless of season. Spring, summer and autumn for obvious reasons, but winter always a bit special because of the challenge and because I'm usually the only one by the water. Not to say I don't feel the cold (worse as the years creep on) but trying to temp a fish when all seems lost, and the slightest sign of a bite causing the float to dip soon takes you mind off cold hands.....
I can recall in youth being slightly miffed when my father shook me awake for a coach fishing trip and it did take time for me to 'come round' but as I reached my teens I was up and off before dawn. Many's the time I left a female of the species looking down her nose because I had a trip planned the next day...........................Not every time, mind!!

Slipping out of bed, with my wife muttering 'have a good day', preparing the flasks and doing a final check on the bag contents belongs to me. Even the drive in the half light and the occasional sighting of a fox is all part of the fishing experience and I've loved it for 65+ years.......................

Just think how much those bed lovers are missing!

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Slipping out of bed, with my wife muttering 'have a good day', preparing the flasks and doing a final check on the bag contents belongs to me. Even the drive in the half light and the occasional sighting of a fox is all part of the fishing experience and I've loved it for 65+ years.......................

Just think how much those bed lovers are missing!

I didn't ask her to; or expect it; but when I first got married back in 1973 the wife used to get up out of bed when the alarm went off and bring me breakfast in bed and then pack my food and drink even at 4 o-clock in the morning whenever I was going fishing, but that was before she met my fishing mates wife.

Now I have to do it all for myself and take her up a cup of tea before I leave. There's a lesson to be learnt there somewhere :)

Keith

Last edited:
B

binka

Slipping out of bed, with my wife muttering 'have a good day'

Now that's exactly where our personal experiences differ so dramatically.

It was always more like 'where you slooping off to you crafty git' in my case.

One of my exes nicknamed me 'The Phantom' for my skills in being able to slither out of bed and out of her house without apparently making a sound, usually just after midnight when I'd had enough and decided I would rather be at home.

She did live on a hill and I always pointed the car in the right direction so I could take the handbrake off and roll it until starting the engine was well out of earshot :D