Does anybody here make their own floats?

Reaction score
Sorry if ive gone and put this in the wrong section firstly but I've been curious to this for a while.

I've been tempted to try this for myself and wondered if any folks here do this themselves and if so could they point me in the right direction to what I'll need to do this. I do understand there are different types of floats so all feedback onto the different varieties and different materials people use would be greatly appreciated.

wetthrough

Reaction score
There's a float making thread - https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/threads/float-making.360156/

I'm fairly new to making floats but some resources:

Rigid foam (it's what I use): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rohacell...468436?hash=item1a492765d4:g:Dz4AAOSwySlaFp1n

Bristle material: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124262348438?ViewItem=&item=124262348438

I have some 1.7*1.2. I'd be willing to part with some if you don't want to order 200! @nottskev has some 3mm on the way which he might part with.

I don't do them by hand (but have done) as I machine almost everything but these are apparently useful https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Bea...600129?hash=item1f1349f501:g:4fIAAOSwMGhfEVVI if you think it's worth the expense. You might be able to get them cheaper somewhere.

As I use foam I find grain filler helps get a decent finish. A small tin of Rustin's will last forever.

Tip paint: I use Revell luminous Yellow and Orange but it's dear for what you get and you really need two tins, one for topping up as they're only just deep enough for dipping a tip. @Aknib who has a lot of experience uses DecoArt Crafters Acrylic Neon paint. I have some but haven't tried it yet.

You'll have to ask someone else what they use for painting bodies as I use some commercial stuff because I happened to have it.

When it comes to painting I find dipping gets by far the best result. Dip and withdraw very slowly. It takes about 7 minutes (might be able do it quicker) to put a coat on these:

6.5bb_stages.jpg

A tip I thought I picked up here but haven't been able to find it is for painting the bands on the tip. Use a piece of wire, I use a piece of 1mm pole bristle the way you would use a brush. I've tried bigger dia and smaller. 1mm seems about right with the paints I use. Dip it in the paint about 3mm and use it as you would a brush, holding it against the bristle while you turn the float.

The BB rating of floats doesn't tell you a great deal about the size of the float. It's very dependent on the material a float is made of. A 4bb Drennan Glow Tip Antenna takes 1.9g to cock and the float itself weighs ~1.4g which without accounting for the shot weighing less under water means the body has a volume of 3.3 cm^3 or the equivalent of ~8bb!

I'll add more if I think of anything.

The weight of paint is not insignificant. The float on the right in the picture has ~0.21g of paint consisting of grain filler, primer, two coats of black and the tip paint.

Last edited:

Haz

Veteran Angler
Reaction score
Sorry if ive gone and put this in the wrong section firstly but I've been curious to this for a while.

I've been tempted to try this for myself and wondered if any folks here do this themselves and if so could they point me in the right direction to what I'll need to do this. I do understand there are different types of floats so all feedback onto the different varieties and different materials people use would be greatly appreciated.
I make floats from the slender branches of the elder. Remove the bark and you are left with a cork-like material which is easily shaped with fine sandpaper. When I have the float as intended I paint it black with enamel paint and dip the tip in a bright fluorescent enamel paint. You can experiment with them. I have some brilliant such floats.

TimFB

Reaction score
I make them from reeds. There is a video or two on this fellas useful tube channel here

davebike

Reaction score
I make most of the floats I use but I only float fishon the pole
I keep a selection of stems bodies and tips and assemble as required I also often re tip pole floats the bit I most often bust !

RudoTall

Reaction score
I used to, but they did not work well. Thanks for the useful links!