Does anyone buy fishing tackle from Ebay ?

rayner

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of ebay, I failed with a few a few rods I wanted to sell. Seems I was tormented with time wasters. I took the rods off, they were a pain.
Occasionally I buy bits, mostly elastics. I'm OK with buy it now but avoid auctions. That's probably why I prefer Amazon.
The tackle shop is always my first call, online if they can't help.

nottskev

Reaction score
My preference for discontinued rods and reels means that most purchases in recent years have been from Ebay. I study the ads, ask questions and look to buy from angler-owners. If the seller's "other items" are a random bunch of clothes, household goods etc, I tend to assume they're just selling on stuff they've acquired one way or another, and avoid.

It has usually worked out fine, but the last two reels were a disappointment. A shimano fs reel - in top condition according to the seller - which should run silently clattered like a centrepin with a clicker when wound. I returned it, and asked the seller to wind it and listen, and tell me what they hear. They replied that it still seemed fine to him! Must have been deaf or unfamiliar with reels. Another, which appeared mint inside and out - a friend who services them checked it over - was inexplicably stiff to wind, and went back. I'm not rushing to buy another.

I rarely buy bits - you have to give some trade to local tackle shops if you want to have any, and it feels daft - just my opinion - to have delivery vans clogging up the roads just to rush me some feeders or a packet of hooks or whatever that I could pick up next time I go for bait.

Thinking about it, I've had as much success buying and selling rods and reels via fishing forums and club websites, where it has often been possible to make collect or meet up somewhere arrangements.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funnily enough I’ve just received an invoice from EBay and was taken aback to see a figure of £25. I only sell at a Buy it now price and only list when they have a £1 max fee promotion running, so having sold two items I expected a £2 fee.

I’ve just come off the telephone to them, they are so helpful, the lady said that these promotions usually run for thirty days, something I hadn’t bothered to read, no problem she said, easy mistake to make, let me reduce your invoice to £2, just be careful to read the conditions in the future.

This is the second time I’ve had cause to ring them, some may remember the saga of a missing fishing trolley, EBay refunded me £75 but a few days later the trolley turned up, I told EBay, they said keep the £75.

You get the impression they realise that selling on the likes of Facebook etc is becoming a threat to their business and are making every effort to keep their customers.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I try hard to support my local bike shop and tackle shop and very rarely buy anything related to those two hobbies online - the only thing I can remember is buying a lightweight chair from Amazon , but I had bought three chairs from him over the last few years - however I buy nothing in the winter.

I have just won my second bid on E-bay so now I have 2 TOM TOM GPS swimming watches for 43 quid, used of course, sometimes watches last years though, the same on amazon would have been 250 quid.

Having been on a journey of self discovery and meditation I understand that buying releases small amounts of dopamine into the brain - and makes you happy ! Like the tiny rewards in a video game. I need to be careful on ebay !

sylvanillo

Reaction score
For 2 years at least I tried to hook good second hand products on ebay through bids. I wasn't after fishing equipment at that time, I was looking for kites. Some Revolution kites for example are either impossible to find as they are discontinued, or they're too expensive for me.
Unfortunately, that was only to find out that all bidders would set automatic bids and then ebay applies its own algorithm to decide who's winning the article.
Just made me rethink and at the end, I would find an equivalent product in new condition among boot sales or online sales!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’ve just fitted new bearings to a centrepin I have recently acquired. I bought the new bearings from a seller on e bay. I ordered them on Friday and received and fitted them today. First class service and product. The seller was reelbearings. I had a choice of quality; abec 3 or 7. I would definitely recommend this seller to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
I did accidentally bid on Ebay last weekend, the rod was "sold" for £1 more than I bid. When I checked the rod reappeared under the same seller at the same starting price. All bids were listed under private id protected were they real bids?

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I did accidentally bid on Ebay last weekend, the rod was "sold" for £1 more than I bid. When I checked the rod reappeared under the same seller at the same starting price. All bids were listed under private id protected were they real bids?

I have a distrust of sellers and buyers whose feedback is labelled “Private” What have they got to hide, it’s an auction site FFS!

rich66

Reaction score
I have a distrust of sellers and buyers whose feedback is labelled “Private” What have they got to hide, it’s an auction site FFS!

eBay hides bidders ID’s now they have done for a long time.
Some bidders have private settings because they buy and sell on one account, equally some sellers I believe can set it to private due to the nature of what they sell or just feel it encourages bidders more.
I’m a long long time ebayer both as a buyer and at one point a business seller I’ve ceased to worry. One of my biggest bugbears is sellers that come through as U.K. on the search, then the stuff comes from China etc and not being able to give negative feedback to buyers who are bonkers or plain dishonest.

John Keane

Reaction score
Case in point, selling a Daiwa SL20SH sea multiplier. Buyer with (04) feedback offers me £25, turned down, ups the offer to £27, also turned down. Doesn’t make his third and final offer but sends me a message saying “I’ll buy it for 30” Red rag to a bull so I said no, but feel free to bid £30 in the auction (knowing it would go for more) He bids and keeps trumping everyone else’s bids until he wins it then that’s the last I hear of him. eBay won’t let you leave negative feedback for buyers!

Selling a guitar & Fender amp for my son who’s moved abroad, selling it Collection Only with a starting price of £95, get a bid on the final day, buyer with (0) feedback. Never hear from the toerag again! I’ve had hell with eBay over negative buyer feedback and them charging commission on postage. If I hadn’t made 18 grand since I started in 2005, id tell them where to stick their T&Cs!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I buy bits of tackle on ebay. I am waiting for a spool of Drennan Supplex hooklink 10lb+ bs. ordered a day or two ago.
My only tackle shops average about 20 miles radius. I cannot imagine doing the journey and actually finding this specific item in stock.