Does anyone buy this stuff?

steve2

Reaction score
On ebay 8 washing up liquid bottle tops, classed as old school bobbins yours for only £50 or 3 others that have so far reached £4.20 in the bidding.
Old school baiting needle £50, old monkey climber £50. Even part used spools of "vintage" fishing line, not Progold. Can't believe what some people have the cheek to try and sell.
I can only assume that some mugs somewhere must be buying it.

Keith M

Reaction score
Perhaps I should put up an old spoon and tin plate and sell them as the original Carp bite indicators that we used back in the 50s and 60s :ROFLMAO:
Some fool might buy them for silly money?

Another thing that you could sell to these fools is: A cork with two map pins stuck in it, or a hair pin : two Classic bobbins of the 1960s :ROFLMAO: the hair pin through the cork had the added advantage of being able to have some string tied through the bend of the hair pin and attached to a rod rest so you couldn’t lose it on the strike. I wouldn’t be surprised if some fool would buy it for silly money :ROFLMAO:

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whilst this doesn't apply to the bottle tops, old Solar metalware and bite indicators go for small fortunes. I keep tabs on some of the old Solar stuff I own but largely bought at clearance prices. Even stuff that wasn't popular when in production tends to go for good money. Though I don't pay much attention to other brands, it wouldn't be surprised if similar quality old gear goes for similarly daft prices.

However, it's always worth bearing in mind that a seller can ask any price they like. Whether anyone actually pays that price is another matter entirely. With regard to the bottle tops, a search of sold items gives a better idea. Whilst the prices are still pretty daft, there's nothing approaching £50, even if that is for eight.

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
I'm always trawling the bay for vintage items of tackle and some of the stuff never ceases to amaze me.

As regulars of similar habits will testify to some very good things come up with very low buy it now prices, presumably listed by people clearing houses and such and not aware of what they're selling but those bottle tops take some beating, I'd rather chuck my wallet in the river than pay that sort of money for stuff like that.

I did recently buy a very nice steel livebait carrier for a tenner, upon research it appears that it was one of four designs manufactured by a firm in Cincinnati during the 1880's!

Closer to home I also managed to get the best foldout float and tackle wallet I've ever seen and in new, unused condition too, all for the grand sum of fourteen quid and i'll look forward to using both bits of gear.

steve2

Reaction score
The old/vintage ebay sites are where most of my lures come from recently some of the prices asked have been silly, they get that from me. I can only assume that a lot of people are clearing out their sheds and hope some mug will pay it.
Anyone fancy a some used, rusty "vintage" lures yours for only £100 or a cane rod that I once used on a water, once fished by Richard Walker. I will sign a letter stating that. That must boost the the price by a few £100's.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Closer to home I also managed to get the best foldout float and tackle wallet I've ever seen and in new, unused condition too, all for the grand sum of fourteen quid and i'll look forward to using both bits of gear.

Those fold out wallets do look nice Ste, and for years I did think about getting one. The reason I haven't is because they don't stop the floats from being bent or crushed, there is very little protection for the floats.
I suppose if you put the float wallet into something hard, like a tackle box they would be ok but I wouldn't risk your lovely hand made floats if putting the wallet into a pocket, rucksack etc.
As I said, very nice to look at, but are they practical?

Aknib

Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean mate, I had exactly the same conversation t'other night on the phone with Kev and we came up with a rigid insert behind the float foam, in this case cut from the lid of a plastic (urgh!) tackle box lid.

And who couldn't love this?

tw1.JPG
tw3.JPG

Apologies on the fingernails, they were immaculate when I left work but all that moving charcoal around on the bbq takes its toll :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean mate, I had exactly the same conversation t'other night on the phone with Kev and we came up with a rigid insert behind the float foam, in this case cut from the lid of a plastic (urgh!) tackle box lid.

And who couldn't love this?

View attachment 10069View attachment 10072

Apologies on the fingernails, they were immaculate when I left work but all that moving charcoal around on the bbq takes its toll :)

Very nice Ste, good idea to use the plastic to make it ridgid.

I want one now ??

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would think if you are using slim floats in the fold out wallet, maybe they could be placed on slim pole winders and a small elastic band over the top to hold them in place,the floats are not damaged by the elastic band, I have used this method with quill floats when I used to fish a small river and had them in my pocket. if doing this it would save reinforcing the wallet with plastic.

Tree123

Reaction score
Personal favourite of mine insaw on ebay.
Someone painted a pringle tube green.
Listed as spod and marker tube there selling for like £15 a pop on an auction.
Some people really arent that bright