Dorset Stour - Throop and Lower Stour

andyj1945

Reaction score
Fished the lower end of beat3 on Thursday (30th). River in reasonable nick, had a nice bag of roach up to about a 1lb, then ruined by a pike!! Bread on the float down the inside of a nice slack.
Saturday - water coming up again this morning, so may not get another chance for a while.

mick b

Reaction score
Cheers Andy, atleast we're getting a few in-between the rise and fall :eek:mg:

Interestingly the waters are now running clear even tho they are over the banks, seems the rubbish and silt has been all washed away and now its just pure rainwater.......everywhere:eek:.....again.

andyj1945

Reaction score
Cheers Mick, it's bank level in most places again and over the banks in others. Will keep you informed of conditions but not hopefull for the coming week.

andyj1945

Reaction score
Stour back up to flood level again and un-fishable, no respite in the next few days I think. Not long untill we will have to think about muddy puddles or something!

cb_1948

Reaction score
Stour still over the banks right up to Parley from Christchurch, will we ever get to fish it again? One thing's for certain, all the swims that we knew from earlier will have changed a lot once it's gone down.
:mad:

andyj1945

Reaction score
You are right, it won't be the same in a lot of places. Today (12th Feb) it is back to level with or just inside the banks on beat 3. I took a rod and a few leads with me when I walked my dogs this afternoon and rolled them to see what the bottom was like and a lot of the bottom is clean gravel. Good news.

mick b

Reaction score
Yes I found that as well, the bottom is as bare as a Barger's ar*e with nothing remaining except the hard packed gravel.

The theory Ive heard recently is that many of the fish have 'dropped back down' certainly not many to be caught thats for sure.

What we will be left with is anyones guess.

The invertebrate populations will have taken a real hammering thats for certain.

If its back to normal by May I will be very surprised.

And now the EA are narrowing the Itchen at Easton to create a controlled upstream flooding of 150 acres of floodplain and hopefully stop Winchester flooding.

Radial action indeed!

Last edited:

andyj1945

Reaction score
Hi Mick,
Taking a chance as the levels were more or less constant, I spent a couple of hours on the inside of a bend and caught a couple of barbel, 2.5 and about 8 lbs, on VERY smelly meat.Hard work but worth the effort. Banks are extremely slippy and great care is required.

mick b

Reaction score
Hi Mick,
Taking a chance as the levels were more or less constant, I spent a couple of hours on the inside of a bend and caught a couple of barbel, 2.5 and about 8 lbs, on VERY smelly meat.Hard work but worth the effort. Banks are extremely slippy and great care is required.

Take great care Andy, if you don't go you can always fish another day, if you do go and make one mistake..........

andyj1945

Reaction score
Hi Mick, sorry for the gap in posting but there has been little to say except more high water. A few people have been out but no fish that I know of to report. After today it would appear that the rain may be subsiding and by the end of the week we may be able to find a few fishable spots. The last days of the season could just turn up a fish or two to the keen and hardy. Tight lines!!

mick b

Reaction score
Hi Mick, sorry for the gap in posting but there has been little to say except more high water. A few people have been out but no fish that I know of to report. After today it would appear that the rain may be subsiding and by the end of the week we may be able to find a few fishable spots. The last days of the season could just turn up a fish or two to the keen and hardy. Tight lines!!

Thanks Andy,
Ive nigh on given up looking for somewhere to wet a line this back-end, but thanks anyways.
When the season opens it will be similar to fishing a brand new venue everywhere such has been the changes in the rivers I fish, mind you some beautiful pools are an immediately noticable beniefit :D
Rising again hereabouts and these high tides haven't helped .......unless your a Bass or Flounder :eek:mg:

andyj1945

Reaction score
Hi Mick,
I managed to get out on the Stour opposite Beat 1 today, water stil a little high but very fishable. A good bag of chub up to 6lb 1oz, with 2 others over 5lb. Total number of fish was 11. All caught on the float on double red maggot, Drennan 14ft Ultralight and a centrepin. 3lb bs line through to a 16 tied direct. Not a bad end to the season!
Looking forward to June 16th and hope to meet up with you for a day or two.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Hi Mick,
I managed to get out on the Stour opposite Beat 1 today, water stil a little high but very fishable. A good bag of chub up to 6lb 1oz, with 2 others over 5lb. Total number of fish was 11. All caught on the float on double red maggot, Drennan 14ft Ultralight and a centrepin. 3lb bs line through to a 16 tied direct. Not a bad end to the season!
Looking forward to June 16th and hope to meet up with you for a day or two.

Very nice indeed, exactly how I hope to fish it on Thur &/or Fri. Are you able to say how high the level is with reference to the "triangles" at New Weir?

Cheers

andyj1945

Reaction score
Hi there Mick,
It seems to have been a long time since the 14th March but only 6 weeks to the start of REAL fishing. I do a bit of lake fishing for Tench but only when I get really desperate.
The Stour is looking good and after the floods the silt has definately been removed in a lot of places, showing some good gravel areas. The weed and rushes are starting to show but nothing heavy yet. Will keep you informed and perhaps we can talk on the phone nearer the start. Hope we can share a trip or two in the near future.
Best regards,
AndyJ

andyj1945

Reaction score
Hi Mick,
It's a very differant start from the finish, almost too hot and bright, but have been out once so far. ! x Eel, 3 x Perch to 1.5lb and 7 x Bream from 3 to 7.5lb ( a P.B.) All caught on Lobs except largest Bream which fell to a large pinch of flake. Have you been out yet?
Best of luck when you do.
Brgds AndyJ