Double-rod hard cases.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Does anyone other than Drennan do a good double rod hard, or semi-rigid case?

I've flipped between rod sleeves and, most recently, a quiver, but I'd like to have the added security of a semi-rigid case.

Thanks.

mikench

Reaction score
Have a look at the Browning Sphere 2 rod case. Mine holds 3 Browning rods( minus reels) 2 landing net handles and an assortment of bank sticks. They do a 3 rod version as well . They look good too.😉😎🙈

I’ll but it from you when you fancy a change , in a fortnight.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I'm sure it's very good, but I think all that bright blue branding looks hideous - almost as hideous as the hoodie. :oops:

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 14.51.26.png

mikench

Reaction score
I don’t mind it in the slightest particularly as the contents are Sphere rods. You will be hard pressed to find anything like it without the manufacturers name/marque or range emblazoned somewhere.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Have a look at the Browning Sphere 2 rod case. Mine holds 3 Browning rods( minus reels) 2 landing net handles and an assortment of bank sticks. They do a 3 rod version as well . They look good too.😉😎🙈

I’ll but it from you when you fancy a change , in a fortnight.
Why use a ready rod case to put rods in without reels?

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Have you considered the hardshell ABS type holdall ?

The ones that look like oblong guitar cases? Not sure they will take a net handle, bank sticks, brolly, feeder arm, folding net.

But anyway, I visited several fishing shops yesterday and bought the Drennan Double Rod Hard Case. It's pretty much perfect for coarse rods and reels (might be too tight for carp-sized reels) and it takes a brolly and all the rest of the aforementioned stuff. The handle needs to be 1-2" further forward, but the shoulder strap balances nicely.

I only ever take two rods at a time, maximum, so the Drennan will be my 'session' holdall. Next question is how to store my other rods - I might go for rigid plastic tubes like the 3" Leeda ones from Angl1ng D1rect. Need to check my butt rings, if you'll excuse the expression. 😄

mikench

Reaction score
Why use a ready rod case to put rods in without reels?
Because it keeps a feeder and float rod fully protected and in a case I know suits certain waters so I just put it in the car without thinking. It has bank sticks and landing net handles. I decide on my choice of reel on the day when I know where I am going. It might be a bait runner or not. It might be a light reel or a heavier one if it is to sit on rests with a buzzer. I accept I might be odd/ eccentric but I’m not bothered and know it’s me and it isn’t easy being me.😜🙈😉

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I keep my reels on my rods, but they're not 'ready', as it were, so I could easily do as Mike does and leave them off.

I think of rigging up as part of the bank-side ritual, after a bit of pre-baiting, that gives the fish 15 minutes to gather in their multitudes 😄 and gets you in the right frame of mind for a days fishing.

Likewise, at the end of a session, I like to wind the end of the line right back down to the line clip... call me obsessive, but it just seems tidier to me.

Like Schrodingers cat, I like to know that the inside of my bag is tidy even when I can't see it.

mikench

Reaction score
I have never had much success taking rods clipped together with line through the eyes and reel in position. Something always goes wrong and I have an unholy mess. I prefer to do it on the bank.