Double Standards

A

Alan John Degville

Graham,
you coudn`t have my thought`s on fishing,any better.
I give a big whoopee every morning i wake up,it`s good to be alive ,to be able to go fishing when time allow`s

G

Gary Magee

BEING AN ANGLER OF 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE OF WHICH 17 YEARS WAS SPENT FISHING FOR CARP AND HAVING RECENTLY REVERTED BACK TO A MORE CONVENTIONAL STYLE OF FISHING I FEEL I AM QUALIFIED TO REMARK ON THE DIFBEING AN A ANGLER WITH 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE HAVING SPENT THE LAST 17 YEARS FERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO TYPES OF ANGLER. THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS IS TO DESCRIBE THE WORST EXAMPLE OF BOTH TYPES:-

1. THE POT NOODLE (INSTANT) CARP ANGLER.
WE HAVE ALL SEEN HIM, THREE BRAND NEW RODS IN A BRAND NEW POD ( 13 FT 3 LB TEST CURVE, NASHYS OF COURSE). THREE BRAND NEW BUCKET SPOOLED BIG PIT BAITRUNNERS,3 FOX DXR BUZZERS WITH TRANSMITTERS AND RECEIVERS,3 SHOP BOUGHT READY TIED CARP RIGS,AND LOADS OF THE LATEST ALL SINGING ALL DANCING SHOP BOUGHT BOILIES, SITTING IN HIS 400 QUID BIVVY.
HE SITS THERE ALL DAY CATCHING NOTHING EXPERTLY DECLARING HES FISHING AT 110yds TO THE 4th GRAVEL BAR (WHEN IN FACT THE LAKE IS ONLY 45yds WIDE AND THE NEAREST GRAVEL BAR IS 300 MILES AWAY).IN BETWEEN BOUTS OF WATCHING HIS PORTABLE T.V. (AFTER ALL HE IS ON A GRUELLING 12 HOUR SESSION) HE QUIETLY BOASTS SO EVERY ONE ON THE LAKE CAN HEAR HIM THAT HES DONE A 40+(HE FORGETS TO MENTION THAT HE CAUGHT IT IN FRANCE AND IT COST HIM 800 QUID FOR THE PRIVILIDGE ).AND WHEN HE PACKS IN HE DECLARES ALL THE MATCH ANGLERS HAVE SOLD ALL THE DECENT CARP TO BUY BREAM DISMISSING THE VENUE AS AN EASY PASTY WATER(EVEN THOUGH HE BLANKED).

2. THE STAR TREK ANGLER(CAUGHT IN A TIME WARP).
WE ALL KNOW ONE OF THESE.YOU KNOW THE TYPE NEVER HIS FAULT WHEN HES HAD A BAD DAY .“THE FISHING HERE IS RUBBISH SINCE THE CARP ANGLERS HYPNOTIZED THE LITTLE ROACH WITH MINI BOILIES.WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO ALTER MY FLOATS DEPTH MY BAIT MY HOOK SIZE, IT WORKED IN THE 70s BEFORE THE HAIR RIG GAVE THE FISH “A”LEVELS”.

IF THESE ANGLERS SPENT MORE TIME THINKING ABOUT THEIR OWN FISHING AND LESS TIME TRYING TO IMPRESS OTHERS OR MAKE EXCUSES FOR THEIR OWN SHORTCOMMINGS THEY WOULD ALL CATCH ALOT MORE FISH AFTER ALL THAT IS THE OBJECT ISNT IT?.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I quote from the current Linear fisheries brochure, page 10 about Hunt Corner Lake, 2nd to last paragraph. "There are also a few chub swimming in the water and the best of these was caught last year at 7lb 14oz".

That's it. In a splurge of writing about how good the water is, one throw away line at the end about a near 8lb chub. And it's followed by a statement on how they are going to introduce another 50 carp this year.

If that was my fishery, the headline would be "Come and fish a gravel pit with a good chance of breaking the British chub record" Sod the carp.

T

The Gaffer

Hi all,

Gary Magee: (AFTER ALL HE IS ON A GRUELLING 12 HOUR SESSION) HE QUIETLY BOASTS SO EVERY ONE ON THE LAKE CAN HEAR HIM THAT HES DONE A 40+(HE FORGETS TO MENTION THAT HE CAUGHT IT IN FRANCE AND IT COST HIM 800 QUID FOR THE PRIVILIDGE )

Gary, he/she doesn't necesserily have to go to France to catch a French 40+!

Atb,

Gaffer.

R

Ron Clay

I knew Linear Oxford several years ago. There were some of the finest mixed fishery gravel pits I have ever visited. I caught 3 chub over 6 lbs and umpteen roach over 2 lbs in 2 sweet seasons. From Manor lake I had the best tench fishing of my life.

Unfortunately all this has been ruined - by carp and carp anglers. I remember sitting with Peter Stone one evening after they put the weed killer into Manor. He said quite softly that he wished carp had never been introduced to England.

I remember being approached by a typical shiny headed, ear ringed, tattooed, beer gutted carp angler one morning. In his stupid East End accent he asked me why I bothered with "green snots".

Boy was I angry!

I still haven't got over it!!

T

The Gaffer

Mornin' all,

Ron: Unfortunately all this has been ruined - by carp and carp anglers.

Err..Ron, that's a bit strong ain't it! ;-)

Ron: I remember being approached by a typical shiny headed, ear ringed, tattooed, beer gutted carp angler one morning. In his stupid East End accent he asked me why I bothered with "green snots".

That's not a stereotypical description is it?
That carp angler was only giving you his opinion the same as you have given your opinion to us, I hope we can get over it! ;-)

I do agree that it is a shame when fisheries loose the balance of being a mixed fishery.

Atb,

Gaffer.

T

The Gaffer

Fair enough Ron. ;-)

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but you've been fishing a lot longer than I have and I do understand/respect that you've seen things change to where we are now. :)
I also understand that there is the odd arrogant carp angler, but we/they aren't all the same.

It's a catch 22 situation, the fisheries need to change/modernise to keep up with the trends, today it's carp angling, tomorrow I bet it'll be Barbel. So with nothing else in the mags/lime light more fisherfolk take up carp angling.

I still think it's a shame that fisheries can't stay mixed, but again it's all down to money and punters preferences I'm affraid. :-(

Atb,

Gaffer.

R

Ron Clay

If I have offended anyone with my typcasting comments I certainly apologise. There are many really nice blokes who go carp fishing who do genuinely respect the desires of the all round angler.

There are also many good people who live in the East End of London.

It was however an unfortunate experience that at the time, made me very angry indeed. If I have over reacted, I really didn't mean to.

G

Gary Magee

DEAR GAFFER:I TOTALLY AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY,BUT THE WHOLE POINT OF THE EMAIL WAS TO POINT OUT THE TYPE OF CARP ANGLER THAT GIVES THIS BRANCH OF THE SPORT A BAD NAME.SURELY YOU CANNOT COMPARE THE AMOUNT OF SKILL CATCHING A 40+ OUT OF WRAYSBURY ECT TO CATCHING TO A RENTACARP FROM FRANCE.
IVE CAUGHT FISH IN FRANCE WELL IN EXCESS OF MY HOME PERSONAL BEST(28.5lb caught 6 years from a northwest stillwater)BUT THEY JUST DONT COMPARE AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS INSIDENTAL AND NOT MENTIONED IN CONVERSATIONS IN WHICH BRITISH REARED CARP CAPTURES ARE DISCUSSED.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, jobs in filtration?..There are bound to be...offshore/oil game etc

R

Ron Clay

We are very involved in offshore applications. We deal with a company called Afos.

Sorry - Stick to the thread subject Clay!!!

T

The Gaffer

Gary, perhaps I didn't explain my self properly.
I agreed with what you said, what I meant was that you don't have to go to France to catch a French fish as there are so many imported French fish in this country that also attract the type of 'Pot Noodle' angler you speak of. ;-)

Atb,

Gaffer.

J

john conway

Getting back to Rob’s original point on overstocking carp waters and point bagging for the biggest carp, perhaps the following analogy may make the argument a bit clearer. Take two hunters and both manage to shoot an elephant, the first guy has gone into the African bush to bag his elephant and the other’s gone to Blackpool Zoo. Need I say any more?

A

andrew jackson

Rob I agree with your opinion on this to a point, these double standards also extent to bait. In this country Peanuts were being banned and reciving bad press. Everyone was saying that they wouldnt use peanuts again, yet they were taking them to france by the sack full.
My fishing is done for pleasure, unless other anglers are doing something wrong, or disturbing me, I dont care what they are doing.
Ron it is bad news when somebody changes a water you are fond of. I do understand why you are so angry. Tench are one of my favorite fish, I have fond memories of school holidays spent Tench fishing. That all said, I would rather fish for carp. Why? The challenge the size, fight they give, being out doors for long periods of time, camping, ornitholigy, metioroligy, photography, and I have probably missed some. Its all good, and a multi faceted hobby. As others have pointed out comercial fisheries respond to what the majority want, thats how they make their money. That may not help you or the tench, but it is a fact of life. Many waters still have good tench fishing on offer, in fact Tench have never been so big. Some people still love cane rods and centre pin reels, should all rods be made of cane just to cater for that minority?

P

Philip Inzani

I have not read every post in minute detail so not sure if someone said this already but I have felt that the reason Carp fishing is so popular is probably on one hand due to that size if the fish as was already mentioned but I also feel its the STYLE of fishing itself that is part of the appeal. Basically its becoming like glorified camping in many cases. Tents, cooking outdoors, having a beer with afew mates etc etc. Many of the newer venues have nice showers and paths, platforms etc etc. Its can make for a nice few days camping with a bit of fishing thrown in.
I think this is part of the appeal for many anglers and thats why you are starting to see the overspill of this type of session fishing into other branches of the sport...Barbel, Pike, Tench, Roach (80 days at Linch hill!) and that is why something like walking for miles through mud covered fields roving a small stream for Chub in the middle of winter will never ever be as popular.

Please dont misunderstand me, I am not saying its wrong even though I feel some of these anglers are missing out on a great deal the sport has to offer but it is another option/avenue people can take and if it brings people into the sport it has to be a good thing.

J

john conway

Philip I’m sure you’re right, it’s the total experience that’s attractive and I can go along with that. Some time ago the brother-in-law and I had a 72hr session on the Norfolk Broads. It was the adventure of camping out on a rowing boat in some of the more remote areas of the Broads that was the attraction as much as the fishing it'self, not to mention getting away for the rat race.

R

Ron Clay

There is nothing I like better - in summer, than spending a weekend in my bivvy by an attrative looking water, seeking out a big fish, especially a roach, bream, rudd or tench.

One thing I do not do however, is the leave the rods out when I go to sleep. I wind the lines in!

I have nothing against the odd can of beer either. We did lots of it in South Africa, together with a barbie. I don't think it's a good idea to get plastered for obvious reasons.

S

Stephen Shaw

Hi just joined and been reading with interest.

It dosn't bother me how people wish to fish as long as they are doing no harm, after all we are all in it for the enjoyment

However,in recent years many of our local ponds have been taken over by clubs and comercial fisheries, dug out, so-call landscaped loosing all their nateural appearences, netted then overstocked with carp. I just wish these people would leave our waters alone. there are just too many waters now where any plonker can drop in a boilie and catch loads of tired out fish. Whats left seems to be all syndicate run and unless you know the right people you have no chance.

Two years ago I found a lovely local water but now that has fallen to the local match club who have stocked in tones of skimers, roach perch, banned boilies, bolts and night fishing etc.

The few free waters we have here, have all had the decent fish poached by one or more of the syndicate clubs.

I am now really strugling to find a nice nateural pond to fish.